• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

Dear admins,

I am a new person here and I'd like to know whether using of stock images and images which designers found online (through the image search, which obviously has certain license limitations) are allowed to use in mock-up designs for the websites. Please, clarify this issue. If these stock images were purchased by designers in my opinion it's ok, otherwise - not.

I see here, many designers just use images from the internet for their mock-ups as a dummy content, which from my point of view is wrong.

Some designers are arranging these images through the layout not even modifying them...

Please advise.

#2 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

Anyone? It would be great to here the official point of view of site admins.

#3 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

There is nothing wrong with using images found on the web as long as it is noted. If you have purchased the right to use the images note that as well. If the images are from places like shutter stack and need to purchased then that needs to be noted so the contest holder can choose what they want to do, the contest holder may already have images they want to use instead of ones from the web, this is all to be worked out with the contest holder and designer, just not where the images are from so the contest holder can choose to purchase image rights to use on website. You can use your own stock photos as well.

Whatever the eula is can be addressed by the winning designer.....I think most places sell the right to use on websites as long as you are not reselling the image your self but each place is different.

If the image is a shutterstock image for example leave the shutterstock copyright mark on the image and state in the comment this has not been purchased

Hope this clears it up for you

Like us on facebook

#4 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

Sharie, it is ILLEGAL! You can't use the images which you've found online in your designs, even if it's noted. Every image has it's own author. Most of them are royalty free, but still need some attribution. Of course it depends on a license type, but in general you can't use them in order to get a profit. Designers SELL their services, they can't show those images as a dummy content of their work (because these images are the part of the design you're selling) if a)they didn't purchase them; b)they don't have a written permission of the author to use these images as a dummy content. So if designer want's to use stock images he should use them at least with a watermark or not use them at all (or heavily modified royalty free image :) ). Moreover, if you are using a stock image, you should also put it's ID number. Designers may use free, public domain images, but it's hard to verify. My point is that all designers have to use their own, original work. If you guys are so strict with the rules, you should seriously reconsider this issue, especially for the web design contests.

#5 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

you can for a mock up and that is what you are doing, the mock up isn't sold it is a dummy design to show the potential buyer. You are not selling the image and you can put in the website design as a placemarker, I said you have to leave the marker on the image if you have not purchased it, did you not read what I wrote?

Like us on facebook

#6 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

Yes, I did, Sharie. Designers're exactly selling their mock-ups :) with someone's images inside. 50% designers here don't place any markers on the images (including icons), that is why this question arose.

#7 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Did yopu nread what I wrote...geez come on............ any and all mock ups for web design is just that a mock up, not sold the design is not sold until a winner is picked. all images can be place marker, found free on the internet or if from places like shutterstock make sure the watermark shows and noted that the image is from so and so place and will need to be purchased if used depending on the EULA . The mock up is not sold until the contest holder picks it. once picked as a winner then the designer and contestholder will decide what images need to be purchased or if the contest holder has own images. I do not know how I can make this more clear to you! There is nothing wrong with the way the web designers are using the mock up images (they are not selling them yet, only if they win. I am a photgrapher myself and very well aware of copyright issues with photos, Why buy the photo if it isn't going to be used? if wins then buy it.

So again images used in website contests are considered dummy,mockups until it is picked as a winner. All images if used from a site like shutterstock should have the watermark on it unless that designer has a licence to use the image (you or myself or anyone else for that matter has no way of telling if the designer has already purchased the rights to use the image in the end it is the contest holder or client that will need to take care of the image usage rights not me , not you
  • ZukiH and Megs like this

Like us on facebook

#8 RamezEhab

RamezEhab

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:37 PM

I`am sorry , but am new here .. and i just read your Thread , that i really find really helpful but i have to ask something .. Eximius , am a designer that use other free pictures as materials in my design . and i dont think that this is Illegal as long as you mention your resources i cant afford to buy a Pro-camera to start building my own materials atm .. i mean that it doesnt matter what am using in my design as long as its my idea and my vision in the design , am just using these materials to help me build my Design .. '' A Design is an idea after all , its all about the Idea '' , at least that is what i think .. so Admins is it ok to use other free pictures from internet in my Designs ?

#9 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:42 PM

As long as the source is note to the ch then that is what is needed. It is not required of you to purchase the images before you win a contestnow if you win a contest then that is something you will work out with the contestholder.

Like us on facebook

#10 teachbeag

teachbeag

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

Surely the owners of these images (esp. if found through a site that sells direct from the artist) would be delighted their image was part of a mockup as it means they will potentially earn money from a future sale of that piece of work?

I always understood that it was okay to do this (with the watermarks, as sharie has said) as surely a designer with a concept in mind, who goes into an image collection is more likely to result in a sale, than a client going in blind and trying to find an image which could then constrain the designer's scope.

#11 DesignsByRain

DesignsByRain

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:13 AM

The search for the perfect match for a design is hard enough. If a designer cannot use was is available with just a mock up it would be very difficult to come up with many versions. The cost alone without winning would be awful. Thank you Sharie for your words!!

#12 ethanhunt3055

ethanhunt3055

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:43 AM

That's not a problem at all , if someone is using your templates in their web design then how you going to feel about this. But I am pretty sure that free templates are available all over the internet, just need to search it. When me started web design business then I also started using others templates but soon I realized that it's not good for business.

Edited by sharie, 13 July 2011 - 04:52 AM.

#13 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:52 AM

I think this was about stock photos and stock art not website templates. The contest holder is paying for something original not an already made template

Like us on facebook

#14 anantasteyr

anantasteyr

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:58 AM

actually... no matter how you design... you may have an original idea... if wanna use an images... using your own... photograph by your self... if you use image on the internet... are you proud with your design?... are you wanna say... "that's design is my 100% creation"!... even you use clipart, stockphotos, mock-up etc?... you proud? the client wanna have and pay your original design.... !!

#15 hebo

hebo

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

hi i'm new here too
i want ask about the marker on the image what is it ? i but any mark or should use A certain mark .. regards

#16 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

The mark refers to the watermark on images that need to be purchased like you see on shutterstock and other stock image websites

Like us on facebook

#17 hebo

hebo

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:15 AM

hi
can i use image that i found by searching in website like google ( image for free by google search ) or it is illegal
thanks
heba

#18 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:20 AM

You have to read the ELUA an image you just found in a search, is not in a library....no you have no idea where it originates, the legal uses, it could come back and bite you

Like us on facebook

#19 sweetievee

sweetievee

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

Everyone's mentioning the legality coming back and biting the designer, but it doesn't seem to be taken into consideration that a lot of the people on here are using these stock images and not telling the contest holder. What's to guarantee that the designer will ever tell the contest holder that they used these copyrighted images? Once a designer wins a contest there's really no reason why the designer has to continue to work with the contest holder. Also, if I were holding a contest, I would want the site more screened so that the designers HAD to tell me what was stock images. As someone posted earlier, the contest holders are paying for original works. And it might influence who they pick if they knew what was copyrighted- that's additional money that they have to pay. I would be more than a little miffed if I was holding a contest and thought I was getting original work, only to find out after I picked a winner that I have to pay another thousand or however much.

#20 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:40 AM

just because you have been pi9cked as a winner doesn't mean the money will be transferred! You have to complete the job before the money is transferred.

It is your (designer) responsibility to make sure the contest holder is informed where the photos are from and if they need to be purchased. Why would we require you (the designer ) to purchase the photos before you know if you have won a contest?

Like us on facebook

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: license, web design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users