Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Contest entry backgrounds

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Guys, you know that we have been enforcing the rule of no gradient/color/image background for a long time. Now we have realized that this rule was somewhat limiting and we are ready to drop it.

From now on you can use flat color background and light gradients. We would still rather not see images as backgrounds because we want to keep the focus on the design and not on the background.

However common sense is still to be applied. We don't want to see flashy colors and gradients in your backgrounds they will still be removed! We do not want you to use background just to attract the client's attention to your image. We are a community and we want to keep it fair for everyone. we want the best designs to win and not the designs that use the most flashy backgrounds. So be reasonable. And keep in mind that a good designer is never afraid of white color and empty space, he uses it to his advantage!

#2 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

The first time I entered with a design background was penalized :) Now I have seen several design hypotheses in the same entry.

• Guests

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

I don't quite understand your question. Backgrounds are now allowed (to a reasonable extent).

#4 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

I did not understand, Resurepus, I wanted to say is if I can submit in the same design a negative version of the logo in a black rectangle at the bottom, for example.

#5 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

zounds,
Yes it's allowed now to submit different version of your design in the same entries..

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#6 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

Thank you Angel.

#7 cyanyde

cyanyde

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

Should send out an email or something! I got confused when I saw so many people using bgs now.. 5/6 and just finally saw this when I came to see what was up with that.

#8 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

I honestly prefer the previous rules, which apply a unique design on a white background, and only when the contest holder requests a specific background. with this liberalization of the backgrounds, the competition becomes confused and distorted, often dishonest for many designers. if we are to sell or to compete with a product (logo) why create more noise in backgrounds, or the contest holder assesses the graphic aspect of the background and then the product? is my opinion, I think you guys should go back on the political backgrounds. I'm not doing a severe criticism or arrogant, far from it, I just enjoyed watching the competitions cleaner. continue your excellent work. regards. Zounds

• Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

zounds, thank you for your opinion! In a couple of weeks we will be evaluating the results of the new rules and maybe adjust them if necessary.

#10 InspireIT

InspireIT

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

To add: many other design contest sites (who I shall not mention) use gradients and single colored backgrounds in many of the designs from designers, Their areof course positives and negatives to this, Zounds is correct in their post, in my thoughts the plain white shows a great design, using grads or colors does distort the final product, I imagine that a good looking gradient background wins the contest, but soon after maybe the client does not like the design once it is produced on a plain canvas? . Maybe see how responses from clients tally up over a course of some time.

A question to all mods here : Does the final winning design have to be submitted with the same background as the winning file? If you produce a winning design in black background, then the contest holder requests this in the final files as a plain white background, surely this would add more work on the designer for the final file to submit? Just my 2 cents...

#11 cyanyde

cyanyde

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

I honestly prefer the previous rules, which apply a unique design on a white background, and only when the contest holder requests a specific background. with this liberalization of the backgrounds, the competition becomes confused and distorted, often dishonest for many designers. if we are to sell or to compete with a product (logo) why create more noise in backgrounds, or the contest holder assesses the graphic aspect of the background and then the product? is my opinion, I think you guys should go back on the political backgrounds. I'm not doing a severe criticism or arrogant, far from it, I just enjoyed watching the competitions cleaner. continue your excellent work. regards. Zounds

I agree.. it makes it too cluttered or make it so some try to stand out above others based on more than just the design alone. Solid background of white or black only. I've done black bg before to show CH dark version and got infraction points for it!

#12 Niff

Niff

Banned

• Banned
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

I do support his opinion! :-)

#13 Branna

Branna

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

CH wants two versions of the logo: In English and Slovakian. Is it okay to enter at once both versions of the same logo with the logo in grayscale version? Thank you.

#14 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

Branna

Yes this is allowed

Like us on facebook

#15 Branna

Branna

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

I'm new here and I haven't yet fully understand all the rules.

• Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

I'm new here and I haven't yet fully understand all the rules.

read them. ask questions. but read the rules first.

#17 Branna

Branna

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Sharie, thank you for your really quick response.

All the best,
Branna

#18 Branna

Branna

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi resurepus,
In General Terms for All Contest Entries writes: 3.Only one design per Contest Entry is permitted.
Believe me, I read all the rules, about everything I found. That's why I asked because I saw that some designers set (same design) in multiple versions in one entry.

#19 Jera

Jera

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Maybe it is good to have the contest holder an option if he or she will allow the designer to use a white background only or to use any backgrounds. If the CH will choose the option white background only then we must follow it as a designer. Just like the old rules.

• Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi resurepus,
In General Terms for All Contest Entries writes: 3.Only one design per Contest Entry is permitted.
Believe me, I read all the rules, about everything I found. That's why I asked because I saw that some designers set (same design) in multiple versions in one entry.

yes, this is one of the rules that we sort of don't really enforce.
But it can help us see who are the designers that do not care about reading the rules and good presentation of their work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users