Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Which one you like best?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

Right now we are trying to release a new DesignContest.com without any bugs and add additional functionality for both designers and clients.

It is still in alpha testing, but we have question about the design, and want to ask you guys, as our main auditory - which design do you like best?

We would very much appreciate your response.

Current DC.com Design:

Posted Image

Potentially New DC version 1

Posted Image

Potentially New DC version 2

Posted Image

Edited by Oleksandrm, 01 November 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#2 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

with all due respect and consideration for the work done, I personally prefer the current version, is still more readable and organized. In terms of graphics still prefer the current version, and also the colors, chromatically work much better than any later version presented. Z

#3 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

I think the 'As seen on' section with logos helps to give credibility to the site for that first time client who is searching through a lot of different contest design sites. Seeing that the site has been featured on NBC, ABC and CBS as well as seeing the Better Business Bureau logo are positive elements at a quick glance.

Also, the 100% risk-free guarantee will help a new client feel at ease and that is immediately seen on current page.

I'm partial to the current page, but probably because I'm just so used to it.

I do like the pull-down menus featured at the top in the blue bar in the new versions.

I also like the added social media icons.

Perhaps more of a combination of the old and new? Could add the blue bar under the current layout's gray header bar which will free up that center area for you to add the new graphics from the new versions??

Just my 2¢ :)

#4 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'm sorry but the new designs look like a step backwards to me. They seem to have been designed with the aim of giving DC a facelift rather than with a focus on the guiding the user and increasing conversions.

The clear simple menu is good - having the star rating higher up the page is also good. Many other calls to actions (cta's) have been deminished.

Reasurances like the "money back guarantee","Risk free", and "Need help?" and "as seen on" have been removed. live chat and "FREE CONSULTATION" has been made much less prominent. These give reassurances to potential clients.

The start a contest button (although slightly bigger) is less obvious because the big red orb above it steals your attention. The background looks complex and draws your eye away from what you should be viewing - the CTA's.

I like the idea of the 3 icons (choose, get inspired, video). But the icons are not very obvious and the text labels should be more prominant and powerful.

I also agree with zounds on the asthetics, the contrast is much better on the current version.

Edited by GJR, 01 November 2013 - 07:31 PM.

• Guests

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

I think the 'As seen on' section with logos helps to give credibility to the site for that first time client who is searching through a lot of different contest design sites. Seeing that the site has been featured on NBC, ABC and CBS as well as seeing the Better Business Bureau logo are positive elements at a quick glance.

Also, the 100% risk-free guarantee will help a new client feel at ease and that is immediately seen on current page.

I'm partial to the current page, but probably because I'm just so used to it.

I do like the pull-down menus featured at the top in the blue bar in the new versions.

I also like the added social media icons.

Perhaps more of a combination of the old and new? Could add the blue bar under the current layout's gray header bar which will free up that center area for you to add the new graphics from the new versions??

Just my 2¢ :)

Hi there! As seen on section would be placed after fold. 100% MBG medal would come back for sure, U R right!

Thank you for your opinion!

• Guests

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

I'm sorry but the new designs look like a step backwards to me. They seem to have been designed with the aim of giving DC a facelift rather than with a focus on the guiding the user and increasing conversions.

The clear simple menu is good - having the star rating higher up the page is also good. Many other calls to actions (cta's) have been deminished.

Reasurances like the "money back guarantee","Risk free", and "Need help?" and "as seen on" have been removed. live chat and "FREE CONSULTATION" has been made much less prominent. These give reassurances to potential clients.

The start a contest button (although slightly bigger) is less obvious because the big red orb above it steals your attention. The background looks complex and draws your eye away from what you should be viewing - the CTA's.

I like the idea of the 3 icons (choose, get inspired, video). But the icons are very obvious and the text labels should be more prominant and powerful.

I also agree with zounds on the asthetics, the contrast is much better on the current version.

Both new designs have slides, here is the example of the second one:
Example

I completely agree about 100% money back guarantee icon - it should be there. Text should be rewritten.

#7 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Both new designs have slides, here is the example of the second one:
Example

I completely agree about 100% money back guarantee icon - it should be there. Text should be rewritten.

Yes. that slide is really good!

#8 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

I hate the colors of the new proposed design. It makes the site look cheap and unprofessional. Feedback I get from clients and designers is they love the clean and fresh look of the current site. The functionality..designer and client features is what needs to be worked on. I understand that the new trend is flat design ect... but what will that trend be in 6 months....

What is important is the site have a nice flow, easy to work for clients that are not computer people, these people are not on our site because of flashy colors and the trendy flat design, they are here to start and run a contest and compete in contests. Clients want a clean easy to work format and a professional looking site they feel they can trust.

Something else to consider flat design the new trend is not for every site out there plus this can be a created in combination, meaning the whole design doesn't have to be made in flat trendy design. One of the best sites I have found that explains flat design trends http://www.awwwards....depth-look.html scrolling down to the bottom I find some great information along with this

"So, should I use Flat Design?
Always keep in mind that a trend is only a trend. Try to create a great design, but one that is right for your target user. The priority is to create a functional and usable website, not a good-looking and trendy website. As Wells Riley said in his post Less Aesthetic, More Design, “Design is a form of problem solving. Never forget that.”"

Edited by sharie, 01 November 2013 - 11:23 PM.

Like us on facebook

#9 Nomadicart

Nomadicart

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

I really like how the DC version 2 looks. It feels clean and perhaps more user friendly!
I do like the pull down menu section! (Gives more options and not seems more busy)
I do also thing %100 money back should be integrated some where visiable. I do however feel little disoriented with heavy logo samples area!
Simplfying would make it more easy on the eye perhaps?
Just a thought!😃

#10 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Flat design can be achieved and be very successful as long as the design/colors do not give you headache when you view it. The main goal is to keep the visitor on the site and not want to leave the site. I have asked several people not associated or familiar with designcontest, the feedback was. The feedback was based on visual not much on functionality

1. both new designs can be great if the colors were different
2. make the triangles less obvious, they make the page look very busy and distracts from what I want to view or look for.
3. The header of the current site was more preferred along with the current logo
4. Liked the dropdowns better in both new versions
5. Overall the current site look is better, more inviting to someone new to the site
6. did not like all the logos showing on this home page
7. wanted to see contest information rather than all the logos

Just some feedback from a few people that have nothing to do with designcontest and two of them are form people that have never seen or heard of our site ( we had some family and friends over last night , Topic came up asking where I work and what I do)

It was VERY interesting hearing these comments.

Like us on facebook

#11 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

off the topic..

i just get this link on email

Food Republic

and something is weird

sender is QA DesignContest.com

is this testing or?

#12 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

off the topic..

i just get this link on email

Food Republic

and something is weird

sender is QA DesignContest.com

is this testing or?

Yes please ignore this. This is from our Q&A site. Our programmers must be testing some things. We are sorry this was sent to you and Thank you for letting us know!

Like us on facebook

#13 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

I like the one we have, I don't like the blurry colours on the new one. I like the nbc stuff, the guarantee stuff, maybe I am just old. But the least confusing the better for me, I don't quite understand the new one, it doesn't seem to flow. Sorry, what do I know, I am rubbish with websites!! : )

#14 aandrei_24

aandrei_24

Guru

• Designer
  • 737 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

I also vote for the current design, and i agree with Sharie about improving functionality of the current site rather than change the design... just my oppinion.

#15 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

I think new designs are OK BUT PLEASE CONCENTRATE ON BUGS AND ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONALITY. Can't stress enough that :)

#16 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:22 PM

I agree with what has been said so far. Form follows function, so I would prefer making improvements to the current system rather than focusing on a re-design.

Also, no long shadows!! :) It's a trend that's already on the way out. The new design should be independent of those kinds of short-termed aesthetics

• Guests

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

I think new designs are OK BUT PLEASE CONCENTRATE ON BUGS AND ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONALITY. Can't stress enough that :)

We know that you can't. We would try to fix them all!

• Guests

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

I agree with what has been said so far. Form follows function, so I would prefer making improvements to the current system rather than focusing on a re-design.
Also, no long shadows!! :) It's a trend that's already on the way out. The new design should be independent of those kinds of short-termed aesthetics

Hi there! We need new slicing, which would be adopted for mobile devices and all screen sizes. This means that we need to rewrite all hmtl`s and CSS codes, so we decided do add some fresh look. The new design would`t be only a "new design", it would be a new front-end part of the site.

Nokia 5 years ago decided not to follow trends on Android platform... And what we see now? :)

Anyway, thank you for your opinion.

• Guests

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

I like the one we have, I don't like the blurry colours on the new one. I like the nbc stuff, the guarantee stuff, maybe I am just old. But the least confusing the better for me, I don't quite understand the new one, it doesn't seem to flow. Sorry, what do I know, I am rubbish with websites!! : )

We are happy to hear your opinion! Thank you!

#20 racerX

racerX

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

i like the original

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users