• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 J22TYR

J22TYR

Banned

• Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

Photoshop Vs Illustrator, which is best?

#2 sunface

sunface

• Designer
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

Raster and Photoshop

First off, a raster graphic (also sometimes called a bitmap graphic, but not to be confused with the .bmp file format) is an image that's comprised of tiny blocks of colour called pixels. Zoom in close enough on a raster image, and it begins to pixelate, like a mosaic. Raster graphics are what we call "resolution dependent" images. Essentially what that means is that quality is always a concern. Without getting into a lengthy conversation about resolution and re-sampling, let's just keep it simple for now and say that resizing your raster graphics is where problems, sometimes major problems, arise.

Examples of raster-based images include photographs, scans, digital paintings, website components like buttons and header graphics, and any other image that's made up of a lot (like, millions) of colours. Raster-based file formats include JPEG, GIF, PSD, PNG, and a few others.

So if there's a bunch of up front know-how, why even bother with raster graphics? Cuz they're cool! And this is where Photoshop comes in. Photoshop is our raster image editor. This is where we'll be doing all our colour correction on our photographs, touching things up, or creating special effects (like putting two heads on your mother-in-law...I recall there's a menu command for that one). Conceptual artists, digital painters, and comic book artists also turn to Photoshop for a lot of their work, too. As a web designer, I constantly use Photoshop to help mock up layouts, create web interfaces, and develop a lot of graphical components for sites I'm working on. As you can see, Photoshop is very flexible.

Vector and Illustrator

Next, we have the world of vector graphics. Unlike raster graphics, vector images are "resolution independent," meaning you and I don't have to worry about quality, pixels, resolution, or re-sampling. Rather than being based on pixels, vector graphics are based on mathematical lines and curves. Of course, this is where Illustrator comes into play. And what I love so much about Illustrator is I can take something I've created, like a cartoon, and I can scale it larger or smaller, and not give a second thought to quality. A vector graphic is always top quality. Usually, but not always, vector graphics are images that are comprised of solid blocks of colour, like a cartoon, a company logo, or a block of text. So who's making use of Illustrator? Graphic designers, visual artists, apparel companies, and even technical illustrators. Vector-based file formats include AI, SVG, and Flash's FLA and SWF.

So I hope this discussion helps demystify the differences for raster vs vector; and Photoshop vs Illustrator.

Before deciding on which app I want to go with, I take a moment and think about what it is I want to achieve with the project at hand. That usually determines which app is the best for the job. Have fun!
  • koenieeboy likes this

#3 DexMind176

DexMind176

Banned

• Banned
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

I Love Illustrator but Can't Ignore Photoshop

#4 xsacto

xsacto

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

I think in Illustrator and use other programs as slave to Adobe illustrator

#5 riavakani

riavakani

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

I like Photoshop more than Illustrator

#6 peepai

peepai

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Ps .but would like to try ai :)

#7 Loly

Loly

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Illustrator vs. Photoshop

Illustrator has superior vector support, while Photoshop has limited.
Illustrator does better page layout than Photoshop.
Illustrator does not handle pixel art the same way as Photoshop does in terms of effects.
Photoshop is superior for photo enhancing.
Photoshop creates precise pixel based UI designs compared to Illustrator.
Illustrator supports multiple page output for PDF while Photoshop does not.
Photoshop layers is much straight forward than Illustrator. Organizing elements is much easier in Photoshop because of this.
Illustrator supports the “Place” (Importing graphics) command through dynamic file linking. Photoshop’s “Place” command is strictly embedded into the .PSD file and is not linked. This means that you can make changes to a certain file outside of Illustrator and you can reflect the changes in Illustrator using the Links panel. In Photoshop, whatever you place is permanent (credit to Kjell-Roger Ringstad for noticing this).
Illustrator exports .EPS file formats better than Photoshop.

#8 jaismin

jaismin

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Illustrator is really very good, I like that very much but with that I can't ignore the Photoshop. I will give equal wattage to Photoshop.

Agile-informatics

#9 okoi

okoi

Banned

• Banned
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Photoshop

#10 okoi

okoi

Banned

• Banned
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Thats right. I love them both.

#11 sant2

sant2

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Illustrator + Photoshop = Good job

#12 Aziztant

Aziztant

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

Photoshop!

#13 beula2570

beula2570

designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

I love Photoshop,Corel,illustrator :)

#14 gleidson

gleidson

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

I think are different purposes, I can't choose one or the other.

#15 JPMGraphical

JPMGraphical

• Designer
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

For logo design Illustrator is my go to program. Because vector images are independent of resolution. Photoshop is useful for picture editing. and also for creating a web layout before putting it into Dreamweaver.

#16 OmegaArt

OmegaArt

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

I've been thinking for a long time why Adobe hadn't joined the two so far. It would create the best program ever. Now I thin Illustrator is better though interface is not so good as in PS.

#17 Dug707

Dug707

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

i agree it would be amazing if they had a combo of both of them on one app

#18 3187mohit

3187mohit

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

Corel has a combo of raster and vector both...but isn't better than any of them..
Its llike either you have two guys with masters degree in two specific subjects of comp sc..
or a bachelor's degree in just computer sc.

#19 Hanami

Hanami

• Designer
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Some jobs require the use of both. If I had to choose between them, the winner would be Photoshop for its flexibility, as it is sufficient for the majority of projects and coloring/styling is much easier (just my personal view).

#20 SiPilyo

SiPilyo

Banned

• Banned
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Both are cool and great applications! Photoshop is cool when editing images but in terms of logo making I prefer to use Adobe Illustrator.
At first, I use Photoshop in making logos since I am new here in DC, but most designers prefer to use Vector Applications in making logos that's why I practiced to use AI.

Nice topic dude! God Bless!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users