Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    The founder resurepus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    City, State
    Toulouse
    Posts
    9,302


    Josh Eacret (jecrt) Interview

    Finally we have posted the first interview in the blog. If you've been around for at least a couple of days you must know jecrt, he is an active member of DC community.

    The interview is not quite finished, I could have asked Josh about many things that interest me in his work and career, but we still decided to publish it as it is and if you have any questions to Josh, he was very kind to answer them in this thread. So don't be shy

    follow DesignContest on twitter

  2. #2
    Senior Member robert777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    City, State
    Bucharest
    Posts
    122


    glad to know you jecrt
    good luck!

  3. #3
    Coy
    Coy is offline
    Elite Designer Coy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    City, State
    TEXAS
    Posts
    2,530


    great interview.
    So how did you go about finding the different T-shirt places? just google or this guy knows this guy who knows this guy kind of thing?

    Aren't you suppose to be listening in church? LOL I guess you could say god is inspiring you

  4. #4
    Junior Guru Maxson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    City, State
    London
    Posts
    336


    Not bad! Certanly straight to the point. Nice to see you're contributing Josh.
    But what I wanted to say is, - in general, I found the questions a bit dull. It's all about work and career, - there are other things that could have influence on us! I want to know what movies they watch, what music they hear, what literature the read, what are their mottos and what is a substory for these choices. Sure it's a matter of taste, but as an artist you're bound to have an eye for fine arts.
    "Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

  5. #5
    The founder resurepus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    City, State
    Toulouse
    Posts
    9,302


    Quote Originally Posted by Maxson View Post
    I found the questions a bit dull.
    sorry, my bad But I think Josh found a great way to see what I meant

    follow DesignContest on twitter

  6. #6
    Junior Guru jecrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    City, State
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    432


    Quote Originally Posted by Coy View Post
    great interview.
    So how did you go about finding the different T-shirt places? just google or this guy knows this guy who knows this guy kind of thing?

    Aren't you suppose to be listening in church? LOL I guess you could say god is inspiring you
    sites - at first I spent a lot of time on forums/blogs (most of the bigger ones have community forums) and learned a few other competition sites. Eventually I started getting work inquiries from small shirt companies. Emptees.com is a great networking site for tshirt artists. You can also display work you have for sale.

    haha - drawing actually helps me listen. It's on days when I forget my sketchbook that I start to wander off!

  7. #7
    Junior Guru jecrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    City, State
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    432


    Quote Originally Posted by Maxson View Post
    there are other things that could have influence on us! I want to know what movies they watch, what music they hear, what literature the read, what are their mottos and what is a substory for these choices.
    I always like to know what music other people are interested in. I listen to music non-stop when I'm at my desk - I imagine others are the same. My tastes are fairly broad - this past week I've been listening to Crystal Castles, Wolfmother, the Streets, U2 and the soundtrack from Harry Potter 3. I TYPICALLY like indie rock - although I really like a lot of electronica and some metal. I used to really be into punk music.

    I have 2 small boys (a little over 2 years old & a 7 month old) so my wife and I don't really get a chance to watch movies all too often anymore. I love zombie movies and the Indiana Jones trilogy (notice I said trilogy)

    Similarly - I really don't have time to read. I check up on a lot of blogs/forums - does that count as literature??

    I'm always at a loss for good mottos. I suck at quoting movies, too.

  8. #8
    Junior Guru Maxson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    City, State
    London
    Posts
    336


    haha - drawing actually helps me listen. It's on days when I forget my sketchbook that I start to wander off!
    Couldn't listen back in school and college without drawing something too - made me ill.

    I always like to know what music other people are interested in. I listen to music non-stop when I'm at my desk - I imagine others are the same. My tastes are fairly broad - this past week I've been listening to Crystal Castles, Wolfmother, the Streets, U2 and the soundtrack from Harry Potter 3. I TYPICALLY like indie rock - although I really like a lot of electronica and some metal. I used to really be into punk music.
    I only know U2, and theres only few tracks that I like and have on my drive. I'm more of an Acid Jazz and Breakbeat person, but Rock is something that we're all bound to appreciate. Like Classical music.
    I have 2 small boys (a little over 2 years old & a 7 month old) so my wife and I don't really get a chance to watch movies all too often anymore. I love zombie movies and the Indiana Jones trilogy (notice I said trilogy)
    First casualty of being a family man is private time. Yea I noticed trilogy

    Similarly - I really don't have time to read. I check up on a lot of blogs/forums - does that count as literature??
    No, not in the slightest. But I myself forgot when last time have read something considered literature.

    I'm always at a loss for good mottos. I suck at quoting movies, too.
    I guess it's optional
    "Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

  9. #9
    Junior Guru jecrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    City, State
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    432


    Quote Originally Posted by Maxson View Post
    I only know U2, and theres only few tracks that I like and have on my drive. I'm more of an Acid Jazz and Breakbeat person, but Rock is something that we're all bound to appreciate. Like Classical music.
    Wolfmother is one of the greatest bands (in my opinion) to be formed in the last few years. They have a great vintage Led Zeppelin/Deep Purple sound that I absolutely love. Crystal Castles is more synth-elecronic mixed with punk (for it's use of dischord) lots of beeps and buzzes. The Streets is great UK grime (I'm not a huge hip hop fan - but I really like the beats used in a lot of grime) and the Harry Potter sountrack is just brilliant - John Williams is an incredible composer!

  10. #10
    Coy
    Coy is offline
    Elite Designer Coy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    City, State
    TEXAS
    Posts
    2,530


    Quote Originally Posted by jecrt View Post

    haha - drawing actually helps me listen. It's on days when I forget my sketchbook that I start to wander off!
    haha I'm the same way for the most part. but I had/have to really try not to doodle when listening casue while I was in middle school I'd always get into trouble for sketching on the sides of my papers so it's either draw on the next page or find a way to distract from the bordum of what is lecture...

    Maxson those were great follow up questions. my self I'm listen to more country but love it all. Classical is great when drawing something more "serious" or mellowtone. rock/hard-metal for more aggressive. country is a great middle.


    Another question. I've always like to hear what actually pulled you to art/drawing etc.?
    example: I've always liked to draw and color but once I saw an older friend of mine draw something really cool I was determined to want to do that, kinda pushed me toward it more and found I had a nack for it. It just happened to be trucks he could draw the sickest trucks. After having thousands of little truck drawings all over my dad brought home a CARtoons mag that had a how to draw section in it. Those simple steps progressed me even furthure towards it. I was about 6 or 7 maybe.

  11. #11
    Junior Guru jecrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    City, State
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    432


    Quote Originally Posted by Coy View Post
    Another question. I've always like to hear what actually pulled you to art/drawing etc.?
    example: I've always liked to draw and color but once I saw an older friend of mine draw something really cool I was determined to want to do that, kinda pushed me toward it more and found I had a nack for it. It just happened to be trucks he could draw the sickest trucks. After having thousands of little truck drawings all over my dad brought home a CARtoons mag that had a how to draw section in it. Those simple steps progressed me even furthure towards it. I was about 6 or 7 maybe.
    that's a good question - I always like background stories too. My mom majored in fine arts in college - she's always been making something artistic or crafty. So - she's had me drawing as long as I can remember. Growing up I wanted to be a cartoonist. I had a Hanna Barbera book that showed how to draw each of the characters. It wasn't until the 6th grade that it dawned on me that all of the cartoons I wanted to draw stopped being made about 30 years prior!

  12. #12
    Junior Guru KHDZN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    City, State
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    395


    Nice to meet you, Josh! I admire your work and find your background interesting—thanks for sharing.

    Karen

  13. #13
    Junior Guru Maxson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    City, State
    London
    Posts
    336


    Quote Originally Posted by jecrt View Post
    Wolfmother is one of the greatest bands (in my opinion) to be formed in the last few years. They have a great vintage Led Zeppelin/Deep Purple sound that I absolutely love. Crystal Castles is more synth-elecronic mixed with punk (for it's use of dischord) lots of beeps and buzzes. The Streets is great UK grime (I'm not a huge hip hop fan - but I really like the beats used in a lot of grime) and the Harry Potter sountrack is just brilliant - John Williams is an incredible composer!
    Sounds very cereal, I'll definetly check it out. And talk about composers, I really like James Horner, his soundtrack for the Aliens movie is still my favorite.
    "Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

  14. #14
    Junior Guru jecrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    City, State
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    432


    Quote Originally Posted by Maxson View Post
    Sounds very cereal, I'll definetly check it out. And talk about composers, I really like James Horner, his soundtrack for the Aliens movie is still my favorite.
    Yeah - James Horner is great too. I really like his work for the Glory soundtrack.

  15. #15
    Senior Member shefshef019's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    City, State
    New York
    Posts
    131


    Great interview! It's always inspiring to read about other designers' successes. (And I love the Peewee Zombie shirt, by the way!)
    Designs by Jenna Sheffler: Professional portfolio
    Design Intervention: Freelance graphic and web design
    Technicolor Carnival: One-of-a-kind handmade jewelry and gifts

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •