Multiple designs on one entry

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 krsbelle

krsbelle

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:48 AM

Is it acceptable to have multiple designs on one page? I have noticed this a lot lately. Is it because if you have a low ranking you are allowed a limited number of entries? Eg. http://www.designcon...ogo-design/a4c/
On this contest I have noticed a few with multiple entries.

#2 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

I agree with you krsbelle,
Even when having "unlimited" entries allowed we have to be respectfull to who doesn´t have them, and top designers should lead a good practice.

I saw that contests, It looks quite a mess to me .. and that's a pity :( ... sometimes hard rules are quite more appropriate for some designers than flexible/open rules ... it's quite a shame ... IMO

Kind regards,
--
jjy

Edited by jjyepez, 28 July 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#3 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

Running logo though all existing colors and color combination on the same canvas?!
Guys, not only your are confusing the client, but also look very unattractive.

Another thing - this client made specification: "The logo will be displaying on a white background". No need to run it on the black background.
  • Olive likes this

#4 krsbelle

krsbelle

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:28 AM

Once again, as I am browsing contests, I find multiple logos on one entry. The same logo in multiple colors on multiple colored backgrounds, multiple applications, such as lab coats, etc. I was once penalized for this because I saw other designers doing this I thought it was ok. I just did my logo in color and in black and white. I see this happening all the time now. Have the rules changed? Some of the entries even display the logo with social media logos.
See attached link for example
Doctors Office Needs Exciting New Logo!

#5 ideasstudio

ideasstudio

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yes, i am confuse now.

#6 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

I was writing about that (not certain contest, but in general) but on the other thread, still no reply of any of admins or designers.
"I agree regarding withdrawal option, for many reasons.
Would also, instead of copy ideas set warning points system, if such thing could be easily made.
Would change the rules all over again (back to basics):
- NO BACKGROUND, unless CH specifically requests it in brief - put back those click-marks to make sure designer is aware of certain background color;
- NO ANY MOCK UPS - visit cart, texture background, doctor's coats, bags... unless it is requested in brief; NO DELAYED excuses, after ratings such as "we talked to CH, he doesn't mind or he loved that";
- add. to above: NO APP MOCK UPS (guys, I swear that looks so effective to CH and to me too, but not smart - for the same amount of money, you are developing an extra feature);
- SET BACK LIMITED ENTRIES (increase minimum per lowest level), and NO UNLIMITED ENTRIES at all - this is senseless... here is why: I constantly see lower level designers with multiple designs and get infraction (btw, it looks confusing to CH), while other (not all) unlimited designers submit endless numbers of the same design with changes so minor that is ridiculous (very often not requested by CH) and being high rated... ?!
There should be some balance between these 2.
"

#7 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

I understand that uploading multiple files with minor changes even when the CH dont ask.......

YES I am onr of them I admit.. WISH I did not have to be...

EXPLANATION....
1) Alot of contest the Ch dont say much or they start to favor another designer/ design and leaves the rest of the pack behind.... This happens way to often. So you dont know what they like or dont like about your concept. Designers should not be hindered by upload limits until a system or program that teaches the CH about this site and the ins and outs..

ALOT of the CH who aere first timers or a few that have tried the site in the past still dont undertand the gearing of the site. Maybe the movie posted on the main page could have something to more detail on how to use the site.. Basics.

2) To say the honest truth most of my thumbnails win rather than the true concept I have in mind. { Yeah this is because I am to complex and cant keep my concepts simple}. This is why for multiple uploads on my behalf.

If this was real world design { err face to face} it be a whole different story. You would have thumbnails all over a piece of paper and the client chooses the best out of all the nails and you start your roughs. Here is different.. You upload roughs and comps you pretty much skip the nails part and more or less the roughs part. Alot of your uploads are closer to the final comp than being a nail or rough.Many times the CH dont even know what they want and are fishing for Ideas

I say that the Ch needs to be more informed on how the basics operate while on the site then you can start enforcing those other rules and regs.

#8 Jera

Jera

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

I agree on this thread.

#9 TIGERdesign

TIGERdesign

• Designer
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

i think submitting the logo design colored and in BW in the same entry should be fine, the CH should have the right to see how the logo will look in BW.

#10 JvZ

JvZ

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

I guess .. . the bottomline in this issue, there should be rule that must be implemented... with the connection of the designer's level....

#11 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

A while back, DC did revise the rules to allow multiple logos on one entry. However, the new rule is that the other logos have to be the exact same logo concept but you could show them in different colors (full color, black only, reverse, etc). I do believe you are also allowed to show the logo in a horizontal layout format as well as a vertical format in one entry if it is the exact same logo concept. It did not mean that you could load up one entry with 10 entirely different logos.

I have also noticed a few designers creating mockups in logo contests which is against the rules (unless CH specifically requests), and a few designers are now creating social media icons which is also against the rules in a logo contest. These type of entries stand out and are providing the CH with free work which is not fair to other designers. Those type of entries need to be reported.

#12 Eraser

Eraser

• Designer
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hi Senior

What u say is right. I agree with u.

#13 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Tiger,
running through BW is not the issue.

#14 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Dskwkrs,
I understand your point, I was thinking about it before this thread... at one hand it does make sense, but when it comes to new rating system it doesn't, at all.

#15 TIGERdesign

TIGERdesign

• Designer
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

Tiger,
running through BW is not the issue.

yes, but since we are talking about "multiple designs in one entry".. designContest consider BW version as "multiple designs" also give infraction for it, it happened to me first time i submitted a design here. i usually show the logo big and centered, with the BW version small in the corner, but when i did it here in designContest i got an infraction tow times for the same entry, i don't know it's like bad luck or another moderator gave an infraction again!

#16 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

:)
It wasn't a bad luck, I think. At that time rule was only 1 design, with no BW or any other color.
But rule has changed, and now that is allowed: "Multiple versions are now allowed in contest entries: for example you can show a BW version along with a full color version."
For me, I find this rule 90% defined.
Obviously, it says ONLY 1 DESIGN CONCEPT IN DIFFERENT COLORS.
What isn't defined is HOW MANY COLOR VARIATION CAN BE USED... is ti 3 or 20?:)
The main issue with multiple designs is that designers submit variations of design concepts, due to limited uploads. In that case, various concepts have single entry number. That also creates a problem when comes to CH feedback... not to mention how unattractive that looks, in both cases.

Edited by Babba, 16 August 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#17 TIGERdesign

TIGERdesign

• Designer
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Babba
about the "limited uploads", i think now there unlimited entry if the CH give feedback/points more than 50 (out of 100). still it's an issue in some contests where the CH don't rate designs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users