Printing preparation

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Velash

Velash

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

How to prepare file with more complex shape for printing? (bottle labels, some stickers etc.)

#2 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

I have used Illustrator before for labels. How the file is prepared depends on where you get it printed... the printer may have their own preferences. Do you have a specific design you want to print? If you do and you want to, you can post a screen cap of the design and maybe I can help with how to prepare the file

#3 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

When a client calls in asking about print contest ect... I ALWAYS ask them if they know what print company they will be using and if they please include this information in the contest brief so the designers can have the print specs for that specific company. This also will allow the designer to download any template that specific company uses.

If the client doesn't know what print company I ask them what "type" of printing" as the "type" will help designers know how to design for them. I advise them that if they do not know this it is a good idea to find this out because you do not want a design that is for digital printing when you will be screen printing and have color limits

So it is ALWAYS best to post these questions to the contestholder in the comment section if this info is NOT listed. This information saves many hrs of work and headache time on both sides client and designer.

You can kinda guess what file type would be needed by the product......a large street sign you will be safe creating the original file as vector ( I always ) color sep my vectors for clients so the file is print ready for vinyl also

Business cards and other stationary most of the time can be printed using ai,psd,tiff and very high res jpg but always in cmyk to be safe. most print companies you can find templates for this and print specs

It is still always best to ask if you do not know, if the client doesn't know then the question sparks under the client and the client will find this out...most of the time

Like us on facebook

#4 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

When a client calls in asking about print contest ect... I ALWAYS ask them if they know what print company they will be using and if they please include this information in the contest brief so the designers can have the print specs for that specific company. This also will allow the designer to download any template that specific company uses.

If the client doesn't know what print company I ask them what "type" of printing" as the "type" will help designers know how to design for them. I advise them that if they do not know this it is a good idea to find this out because you do not want a design that is for digital printing when you will be screen printing and have color limits

So it is ALWAYS best to post these questions to the contestholder in the comment section if this info is NOT listed. This information saves many hrs of work and headache time on both sides client and designer.

You can kinda guess what file type would be needed by the product......a large street sign you will be safe creating the original file as vector ( I always ) color sep my vectors for clients so the file is print ready for vinyl also

Business cards and other stationary most of the time can be printed using ai,psd,tiff and very high res jpg but always in cmyk to be safe. most print companies you can find templates for this and print specs

It is still always best to ask if you do not know, if the client doesn't know then the question sparks under the client and the client will find this out...most of the time

I wish the feature request I posted a few months ago will eventually be implemented: /forum/feature-requests/61969-more-thorough-design-brief.html It would make the process a whole lot easier for both the client and the designer.

#5 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:49 AM

you know I have checked out the other sites that have these features you mention some clients use them others do not. We are reworking the site with some great new features.

It is still always best to ask the contestholder about print information because the ch might not have this info when starting the contest

Like us on facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users