I need some critique

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Kira22

Kira22

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

So... here it goes, these are my two works that I consider really good and that's why I need critique. Because they not might be that good as I expect them to be..

This first is made from vectors, created mainly in Photoshop (since I couldn't work very well with Illustrator in that time) and then I put all the layers into Illustrator and finished it.
It was my first try, I've never done vector pictures before.

#2 Kira22

Kira22

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

Here is the second one, this is drawn in PS, only one layer and I was using brush and eraser. Mostly the brush. I like the brush effect on my pictures, I don't like them to be too realistic/smooth. But sometimes even smooth is good.

#3 smyth

smyth

• Designer
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

What's there to be critiqued? :) (way out of my league), i LOVE the 2nd one, nice portrait. Who is it? you?
I read on other topic you wrote, that you want someone with experience to critique your desingns, sorry that i can help with that. I can though make some points why i like the 2nd design:
1. Because it looks like painted with real oil paint and brush
2. The lack of colours, the black background and the fading of the hair and shoulders in to the bckrnd gives a mistery aura to the design
3. The level of detail is very nice, also i like the way the hair looks like hair, and the mustache looks like mustache
4. I like how the light from behind the face "warms up" a little the portrait
5. The proportion seem good, and i like that the shaddowing looks natural/correct
6. It reminds me of Johnny Depp

Well ... that's my best, maybe someone else can help you better

Edited by smyth, 08 October 2010 - 02:30 PM.

#4 Kira22

Kira22

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

What's there to be critiqued? :) (way out of my league), i LOVE the 2nd one, nice portrait. Who is it? you?
I read on other topic you wrote, that you want someone with experience to critique your desingns, sorry that i can help with that. I can though make some points why i like the 2nd design:
1. Because it looks like painted with real oil paint and brush
2. The lack of colours, the black background and the fading of the hair and shoulders in to the bckrnd gives a mistery aura to the design
3. The level of detail is very nice, also i like the way the hair looks like hair, and the mustache looks like mustache
4. I like how the light from behind the face "warms up" a little the portrait
5. The proportion seem good, and i like that the shaddowing looks natural/correct
6. It reminds me of Johnny Depp

Well ... that's my best, maybe someone else can help you better

Thank you very much :) It's not me, it actually IS Johnny Depp :D (btw I'm female) It's one of the photo series he made, it's pretty famous like many of his BW photos.
So I'm not sure but almost all of the things you mentioned are not my creativity or creation because I had a photo reference printed out next to my tablet :(
But still, I'm glad to hear all the reasons & I'm really happy with the "oil paint and brush" part, I wanted exactly that kind of effect! :cool:

#5 amir

amir

• Designer
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

I love all your work it's awesome, and for me it's Art... :-)

#6 aik

aik

• Designer
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

I'm not an expert, I just want to say that I like how the computer can transformed into real brush and canvas, in the hand of an artist like you. There are artists with great visions and imagination, there are computer experts that use computer like their own hand, but people that happen to be able to apply both is quite rare. Keep up the good work :)

#7 Kira22

Kira22

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

I'm not an expert, I just want to say that I like how the computer can transformed into real brush and canvas, in the hand of an artist like you. There are artists with great visions and imagination, there are computer experts that use computer like their own hand, but people that happen to be able to apply both is quite rare. Keep up the good work :)

Thank you, I'm very glad to hear that :)

#8 muzzha

muzzha

Banned

• Banned
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:52 PM

Wow, that looks really great, really nice work, especially second one...good work!! No place for critique.

#9 DigitalSolution

DigitalSolution

Banned

• Banned
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:30 PM

Great work!

#10 aset

aset

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

I really like the second one, very cool!
I love the way it looks pencil drawn. As a pencil sketch its awesome but as you did it all in PS it's amazing.
Love the shine in the hair.

The only thing I would change is the sharp line on the right side of his jaw. (looks a bit like a scar) If you could soften this a little I think it would be absolutely perfect.

Great Work!

#11 Kira22

Kira22

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:42 PM

I really like the second one, very cool!
I love the way it looks pencil drawn. As a pencil sketch its awesome but as you did it all in PS it's amazing.
Love the shine in the hair.

The only thing I would change is the sharp line on the right side of his jaw. (looks a bit like a scar) If you could soften this a little I think it would be absolutely perfect.

Great Work!

Thank you! I was trying to figure out how to do the hair for a long time :D then I thought I'll sharpen the ends of it and it might look like real highlights..

And yea, you're right about the "scar" it looks like that a bit.. It was suppose to be another highlight but looks a bit like scar.. I can fix it in my drawing but I'm not sure how to repost it in the reply :(

#12 Kira22

Kira22

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

Haha, I'm reaaaally glad all you people like my work :)

Now this one is one of my more recent works, it's a scene from Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp. The person in the middle is Mad Hatter. When I saw it in the movie I just knew I had to draw it :D
And I need some critique even on this one :) I'm not sure if to be okay with it or not :D you tell me how you feel about it :)

By the way, the pic's called "Two faces of Wonderland"

#13 F4ust0

F4ust0

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:47 AM

Second time around I comment the work, because the ancient after it was erased,
Me to liked much, he is very original.

Lament that moderators erase them after without motives.

#14 KYoder5673

KYoder5673

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

Very nice work :) the only thing i would say is on the very first picture where the hat meets the black on the right hand side...that line is a little harsh compared to the rest of the overall drawing.

#15 Kira22

Kira22

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

Very nice work :) the only thing i would say is on the very first picture where the hat meets the black on the right hand side...that line is a little harsh compared to the rest of the overall drawing.

Yea, that's true... I've never noticed that on my screen before.. but when I looked from a different angle it was there :D thanks. I'll fix it :)

#16 RaimiDesign

RaimiDesign

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

Here is the second one, this is drawn in PS, only one layer and I was using brush and eraser. Mostly the brush. I like the brush effect on my pictures, I don't like them to be too realistic/smooth. But sometimes even smooth is good.

love it!! well done Kira!

#17 sideswipe14

sideswipe14

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

what progs do you use? i could never do this :(

#18 Kira22

Kira22

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:14 AM

what progs do you use? i could never do this :(

I use Photoshop CS4... I use it for almost everything, even for vectors :D I use adobe illustrator to create logos, but that's all. I was using PS 7 for a very long time, then I switched to CS3 but then almost immediately I tried CS4 and I knew that I'm going to work with it only. I had CS 5 for 60 days as a trial but I found that program kinda useless because for me it was worse version of CS4, they changed a lot of things there.
But the main thing that allows me to draw like this is my tablet... I couldn't do this without tablet :)

I'm sure you could draw like this :) You just need a bit practice.. If you think I can help you, feel free to ask, you can send me a PM here or you can find me on DeviantArt with my whole portfolio. My nickname there is Kira-22. ♥

#19 hernandez

hernandez

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

The Bale one is great but the lips are too feminine.

Cheers,

H.

#20 lelakijitet

lelakijitet

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

1st one looks to be traced.... 2nd one... great job....... smart way using brush.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users