• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 karnetics

karnetics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:13 PM

I am creating a personal ad page for my wife.. Tell me what you think.. Is it too much or do I need to make some changes??

http://carear.goldeye.info

Karnetics - webdesigner
-------------------------
http://kearle.freelinuxhost.com

#2 karnetics

karnetics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:26 PM

can I get any comments..

#3 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:39 AM

Well, to be honest I think it looks like a jumble of photoshop tutorials. Not always a bad thing - but in this case it is. You could definitely simplify it and still have it look nice. My suggestions:

1) get rid of the grid and white waves on the photo. The photo is beautiful by itself and doesn't need these effects to make it look any better.

2) Space the three columns out a little more. Everything looks so cramped.

3) Use a standard font for the entire site. Right now I see a combination of Arial and Times New Roman, and to be honest Times does not match the style of the sunflowers.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#4 JTWedding

JTWedding

Banned

• Banned
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:45 AM

I honestly don't know what I'm looking at. There are so many ads on there that I can't tell what is supposed to be your page and what is crap your host threw on there.

#5 karnetics

karnetics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:24 AM

Finally some comments... I was thinking of adding a blog to it...

#6 JakSmit

JakSmit

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:35 PM

Less is more.

Condense the ads into a rotation system so that only one is displayed at a time.

Change the times new roman font.

Simplify the navigational structure by creating a simplified menu.

Arrange the 'special links' in a way that makes it possible to distinguish between
the different items.

I hope these comments help.
-- --- - -- ---- - -- ---- -- ---- --- - -- ---
My site: Freelance webdesign

#7 karnetics

karnetics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:18 PM

Less is more.

Condense the ads into a rotation system so that only one is displayed at a time.

Change the times new roman font.

Simplify the navigational structure by creating a simplified menu.

Arrange the 'special links' in a way that makes it possible to distinguish between
the different items.

I hope these comments help.

Thanks for the great tip... I will take your ad rotator idea to heart., I

#8 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:52 PM

I just have a few things to add to that:

I think that the advertisements should open in new windows (if thats possible). I clicked on one of them and the fact that I was redirected on the same page really bugged me.

As well, I really don't understand what the sunflowers are all about, is there a reason they are there or is it just a random design eleement? If its the latter then I would recommend trying to find an image that is closer related to the theme of the website.

Lastly, I think you need to make some changes to your categorization system. Some things need to be bolded if they are titles or just important, other things need spaces in between. Just go through the site and make sure that no text blends into other text and that everything that is important is in some way highlighted.

Thats all, g'luck! :)

#9 MissLee

MissLee

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:02 AM

Because you're stuck with the host's banner at the top, I would center your content under it so it doesn't make the whole page look disjointed. Then use a strong, solid dividing border (top & sides) that would lead the eye away from their banner and toward your own content.

It does seem a little cramped text-wise and I have to admit that the flashing banners are distracting.

Since the purpose of the site is to generate clicks through to the affiliate programs, I'd recommend much clearer categorization and navigation and lose the sunflower theme or pare it back considerably. If you want to give it a personal touch, perhaps a side bar with your wife's thoughts and comments about the different programs ...a testimonial area of sorts. Maybe bullet those comments with a small sunflower?

That's my .02. :)

#10 zcfsu

zcfsu

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:32 PM

yes centering the whole site id agree with and same with the ads. way too much jumbilization in there. not sure if its my browser or not. (im using firefox) but the images break through the sunflower and are ofest with the yellow in the middle of the page. make sure your pages is looking good in all types of browsers.

#11 karnetics

karnetics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for everyones input.. I am working on a new design.. This time I will cut done on the ads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users