How do I delete my account?

#2 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

How do I delete my account?

when you die, the social security office will notify DC.net who will, in turn, delete your account. that's the only way.

#3 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

when you die, the social security office will notify DC.net who will, in turn, delete your account. that's the only way.

funny...

seriously, though, i want to delete my account. i don't want to be associated with a crowdsourcing model.
  • kastleo likes this

#4 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

There are hundreds of 4point7's on the net, and no one really cares of with what they are associated with, so no worries (:
"Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

#5 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

There are hundreds of 4point7's on the net, and no one really cares of with what they are associated with, so no worries (:

i disagree with the idea that nobody cares. either way, i want my account deleted. does nobody find it annoying that there's no information on how to get rid of an account?

#6 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:35 AM

i disagree with the idea that nobody cares. either way, i want my account deleted. does nobody find it annoying that there's no information on how to get rid of an account?

Nope. Coz usually you're not allowed to, for safety reasons. And if someone wants to really bad, their only option is contacting administration.

#7 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

Nope. Coz usually you're not allowed to, for safety reasons. And if someone wants to really bad, their only option is contacting administration.

safety reasons? for real? how is not telling me how to delete my account keeping anybody safe?

and i already did contact the administration. they haven't even replied.

#8 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

safety reasons? for real? how is not telling me how to delete my account keeping anybody safe?

Not anybody, but yourself.

#9 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

funny...

seriously, though, i want to delete my account. i don't want to be associated with a crowdsourcing model.

even more funny...

really did you read an artical or something about how crowdsourcing is bad for deisgners and now want nothing to do with them?
have you lost any job opportunities because of your name being a part of DC?

google search for 4point7+graphic design = 4point7+graphic design - Google Search not much there.

And the only way you'll make your google search more (uptodate) associated with a site like DC is by keep repling or making new threads.

I think your crying over nothing.

I'd really like to know what the BIG issue is. I've been on hundreds of forums and have rarely seen anything about deleting an account.

Plus (and I could be wrong) but any thread that you didn't create and replied to will still have your name on it.

maybe I'll search around and see what else I can find out about you. LOL j/k

• Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

yeah, this is interesting. Before you brought it up, your account here was as good as nonexistent. Now it's a whole different situation, you get your 15 minutes of fame :D Now you'll be remembered in history as "that 4point7 guy, fighter with the evil crowdsourcing" :)

#11 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

yeah, this is interesting. Before you brought it up, your account here was as good as nonexistent. Now it's a whole different situation, you get your 15 minutes of fame :D Now you'll be remembered in history as "that 4point7 guy, fighter with the evil crowdsourcing" :)

Posted Image

#12 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:56 AM

what kind of community website doesn't allow their users to delete their accounts? that's all i want. if i wanted to cancel my account on any other site that i was a member of it would take like two seconds.

i didn't want to make a big deal of this. i just wanted to get rid of my account and couldn't find any information on how. i wasn't the one who turned it into a big issue.

if my account was as good as nonexistent, you would think that there would be no problem with me getting rid of it.

Edited by 4point7, 21 May 2009 - 02:09 AM.

#13 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:23 AM

I'd really like to know what the BIG issue is.

I joined the forum a while ago without really knowing what it was. The more I thought about it, the more I disagreed with it. I haven't participated in any of the contests because I don't agree with doing spec work and I don't plan to contribute to the community any more (and I haven't in a long time). So the logical thing would be for me to delete my account, but for some reason I can't.

I never thought that everybody would get their panties all in a bunch at the mentioning of deleting an account...

#14 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:35 AM

I haven't participated in any of the contests because I don't agree with doing spec work

actually - you haven't participated in any of the contests because you're not an Elite Designer. :)

Don't let David Airey tell you that crowd sourcing is bad. It's great for designers. Why? Because it evens the playing field for everyone. Good designers that don't have access to multiple clients get a shot to design for multiple clients. I only work 20 - 25 hours a week. My wife and I split our days so that we can stay home with our kids. When I'm not doing freelance jobs, I submit logos to sites likes this. It's helped boost my income. The people that I've designed logos for typically give me additional work - I've actually developed two really good clients as a result of "spec work."

I've heard the whole "designers shouldn't work for free" argument. It's dumb, though. Agencies do similar things - they just don't call it spec work. I've worked in agencies. When I first started as an intern, I helped put together boards for pitches on jobs that we often didn't get. What's the difference between that and "spec work?" ADs work on concepts - the creative team works on the "full package" pitch (albeit, not as intensely as they would if they HAD the work) and lowly (unpaid) interns help put it all together. If they don't bring the client in - isn't that technically spec work. Sure it is. I later worked on presentations that went no where. Really - it's the same thing.

The problem with crowdsourcing sites - to the agencies - is that business owners are starting to realize that there are really talented people floating around that can do the work themselves. It doesn't take a lot of out of touch ADs/CDs or pretentious design societies (cough AIGA cough...btw, I'm glad I let my membership expire) to get great work. It just takes a great designer.

Frankly - many of the contest holders are small business start-ups. These people typically don't have the money to go to an agency anyway. If it weren't for crowd-sourcing sites like this one - they'd have their nephews or neighbors do it. Or they'd just "find" a good logo in the clip art samples of MS Word.

Bottom line is that crowdsourcing helps everyone involved. Slowly, it's raising the design bar and making agencies step up their service and product. It's also helping dads who like being home with their kids more than they ever liked working late nights in an agency make a living.

#15 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:15 AM

design should involve a relationship between the client and the designer. the whole point of design is for the client to present a problem to the designer and for the designer to solve that problem. that involves knowing what the client needs, who their audience is, and a lot more than can be covered in a short little post.

and you're right. i'm not an elite designer. you know what, though? i haven't tried to become one.

and don't try to tell me that it's impossible to find clients outside of a site like this. there are people everywhere who need design work done.

forget it though. i'm not going to get into a huge debate because that's not why i started this thread. i just had one simple question and if it's such a terrible thing to want to delete my account then i guess i just won't use it anymore.

Edited by 4point7, 21 May 2009 - 04:18 AM.

#16 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:23 AM

It's also helping dads who like being home with their kids more than they ever liked working late nights in an agency make a living.

that's where homeworking comes in.

#17 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

4point being that your 22 I don't think you fully comprehend everything you should. Not saying your not intellegent or anything just that I've been there done that.

Most likely your either still in college or just out of college and have been over shadowed with someone else's thoughts and/or beliefs most likely a teachers. This is where I have a problem w/ teachers in general. but will save that for another day.

I've always been person to look at both sides of the fence and come up with my own idea or thought about it. (drove my phylosephy teacher nuts LOL) and truely believe you are unaware of all aspects involved. But that's fine you'll figure it out soon.

back in the day it was fine to site down with someone and discuss what they wanted. Then we'd design something and get it approved (spec work) then have to re-do it till the client liked it. Now you have a different avenue to find what you need. He'll I could live forever in my house and not see anyone ever, till I die. and that is what people want today. The guy just starting his business or rebranding it doesn't want to take an hour out of his day waist $2.60 a gallon to drive somewhere and "discuse" what they want. now you just take 20minutes, find a site post what you want check back, take 10 minutes to say I like/dislike or change this or that and check back the next day. If your busy you don't have some guy asking to stop by and check the proof's, you just wait till you have the time or check it on you cell phone. The people that dislike "crowd sourcing" are simply upset with the changes and the competion, cause even a talented kid who has never been to college and wouldn't be able to get a traditional deisgn job can have an opportunity to become what he/she wants through sites similar to DC.

And just to clarify I doubt anyone really cared until you stated - "i don't want to be associated with a crowdsourcing model." it may have just struck a cord. I'm in this thread cause it's funny. :D

#18 illumina

illumina

Guru

• Designer
  • 2714 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

Its up to the individual designer on whether they enter contests, and nobody, not even you, has the right to tell them its right or wrong.
Right and wrong are morally subjective and personal to each individual. What you think is wrong, is right for many others, and vice versa.
Thats one of the biggest problems every society has, the complete inability to place themselves in a neutral state of mind and look at anothers point of view objectively. People disagree, you can either cry about it, or you can stop wasting your time and move on.
  • Coy likes this

#19 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:40 PM

agree

#20 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

did i ever say it was wrong? no. i said i don't agree with it and i don't want to be associated with it.

and just an f.y.i., most of my teachers absolutely sucked and had no idea what they were talking about. i know both sides of the argument and i know that both sides have valid points. i've listened to balanced arguments and came to a decision that i don't agree with crowdsourcing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users