Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do You Design With A Mac Or PC?

City, State
    San Antonio, Texas

Tried using a Mac a few times & i just couldn't get into it after being a PC user for so long. I currently have a small network setup here with 10 PC's on a 10 port router/modem (x4 direct / x6 wireless) / (x2 win Vista Business / x8 Win XP Pro).

My primary units for design are the XP's, they seem to render faster & are all around easier to work on during production. My Vista's are used for Data entry & Accounting mostly, mundane tasks. Ok, so here's a break down of what the 10 PC's are used for:

x1 Vista - Data Entry
    x1 Vista - Accounting
    x2 XP - Vector design (Logo / illustration / mascot / Caricature)
    x1 Xp - development (WAMP Server for Php/mysql testing & integrations)
    x2 Xp - Rendering (Load balancing for large rendering projects)
    x1 Xp - Audio/Visual (Movie & sound files for entertainment)
    x1 Xp - SecondLife (Dedicated to the SecondLife virtual world)
    x1 Xp - Public relations (Dedicated to marketing / Advertising research & campaigns)

That about covers it besides my external drives & other detachable equipment. as you can see, I'm an Avid PC user, so a Mac just isn't practical for me.

Coy
    City, State
    TEXAS

I learned on a mac but have only had access to PC's.
    And starting out after school I worked for newsmagazine and sign companies that all had PC's. I've thought about getting another mac but probably never will.

City, State
    Barcelona

I think that in hardware they are the same, no differences there.

I think what makes the difference is the operating system, when you buy a mac you are paying all the hard work of building up the bes operating system there is on the market.

I hate Windows in all of their versions... it always work wrong so you have to put services packs and that annoying things.

Now that I have a Play station to play I'm saving for a sleek mac to work!!!

City, State
    Barcelona

The stranger

I think (after read the current 20 replys) that I am the stranger.... I use PC with ubuntu (linux) from a few months ago, after getting used, I was able to work smoothly and I'm very satisfied.

City, State
    Barcelona

I Always wanted to use Ubuntu!!!

But can you work with Illustrator there? is easy to install and maintain?
    If you have any forum or site that I can read I really want to investigate about it.

Apprentice Designer
    City, State
    Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post

If you have any forum or site that I can read I really want to investigate about it.
    +1

I generally dislike windows and mac, so I'd love to try out ubuntu. I never have because I'd expect not to be able to use most of the programs I use...

City, State
    Barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post

In october 29th, the new Ubuntu 9.10 is out, and (i think) is the best moment to try this operating system.

Instructions:
    1.- Download the CD ISO from the ubuntu website (Desktop edition)
    2.- Burn it to CDR (or CDRW, of course)
    3.- Put the CD in the reader and reboot
    4.- The cd autoboot and you can choose TRY(without changes) or install

Quote Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
    I generally dislike windows and mac, so I'd love to try out ubuntu. I never have because I'd expect not to be able to use most of the programs I use...
    The software that I use (and you can try, due these software have versions for windows):
    - The Gimp (like photoshop)
    - Inkscape (like Ilustrator)
    - Scribus (like Adobe Acrobat)
    and with WINE (a windows emulator) I use Macromedia Flash8

More apps can be emulated in WINE, you can see the compatibility database, here

As I said, I have only a few months working with ubuntu, but try to answer any questions you may arise

Apprentice Designer
    City, State
    tel aviv

well @ home i never used a mac... and @ every work i had and in the current one i never used a pc

like mentioned u can get the same resault on both, but i guess if they both had the same price i would go for a mac also for home use.
    most claims against mac that its just an eye candy!!! and i say that the looks of the computer i work on is not "just" another minor issue...

i was a big mac fan untill they swiched to intel boards, since then much much less...
    untill i got a new computer @ work few weeks ago, a 24" imac... and i can honestly say that working infront of an atractive machine impacts the overall feeling and creates a more inviting and teasing environment to work in...
    and for sure i enjoy working on it much mote then the pc i got @ home, wich is much more stronger then the mac... just a thought

Apprentice Designer
    City, State
    Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by rockmedia View Post
    The software that I use (and you can try, due these software have versions for windows):
    - The Gimp (like photoshop)
    - Inkscape (like Ilustrator)
    - Scribus (like Adobe Acrobat)
    and with WINE (a windows emulator) I use Macromedia Flash8

More apps can be emulated in WINE, you can see the compatibility database, here

As I said, I have only a few months working with ubuntu, but try to answer any questions you may arise
    Yeah I've tried a couple of those out in the past, but I found them to be a little limited when compared to the adobe programs... I guess they may have caught up since I've tried them, but I wouldn't really want to risk it. If I get a netbook I'll definitely go with an ubuntu one though.

City, State
    Barcelona

Yeah I've tried a couple of those out in the past, but I found them to be a little limited when compared to the adobe programs... I guess they may have caught up since I've tried them, but I wouldn't really want to risk it.
    Do not know how long you tried, euphoria, but the advantage of open-source software (apart from price) is that this is constantly development and improving.

Also, the gimp have a lot of extensions (and all for free!!)
    You can see here

And for the next version of gimp 2.8, the single-window (awaited for a lot of users) is ready!!

If I get a netbook I'll definitely go with an ubuntu one though.
    Undoubtedly, ubuntu is the best option for a netbook.
    Last edited by rockmedia; 09-28-2009 at 03:18 AM. Reason: correction

Apprentice Designer
    City, State
    Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by rockmedia View Post
    Do not know how long you tried, euphoria, but the advantage of open-source software (apart from price) is that this is constantly development and improving.

Also, the gimp have a lot of extensions (and all for free!!)
    You can see here

And for the next version of gimp 2.8, the single-window (awaited for a lot of users) is ready!!
    Admittedly I didn't use them for too long, though I did use Paint.net for a few months before getting a copy of Photoshop. I'll give them another try when I have some time available

Apprentice Designer
    City, State
    London, UK

Both. PC at home (cheaper), MAC at work (because as people here have said, as designers we're expected to use them)
    I like both equally though, its just the cost of MACs that put me off as again like a lot of people here I build my own PCs to the exact spec i want

Apprentice Designer
    City, State
    Montreal

i think the user experience on a mac is amazing, i used to be a huge PC fanboy and i used to upgrade and mod my system all the time and for a gamer not much can touch a PC IMO.. but this year i switched to a 24" imac and i'm forever converted

i play less games than i used to but my mac still runs call of duty 4 online without lag and i play starcraft which can run on any computer newer than 1998

City, State
    Paris, France

Me too, waiting for Win 7 ...

Jew

Pc.

Apprentice Designer

PC @ home. Mac @ work.

Apprentice Designer
    City, State
    UK

pc here

City, State
    Jakarta

PC, just because i'm familiar with the system...i think the choice were set from what kind of computer you found at school...

City, State
    Marceline, MO

I use a Mac. I have a laptop that I bought and a imac I managed to salvage dumpster diving. Needed 10 minutes of soldering on the power cord area. 10 minutes because I'm not that good at it. I also have a PC that I built and use mostly for 3D. It renders faster and I can tear it apart and rebuild it as I need. I prefer the mac for one reason and it may sound stupid but the key commands. I worked for a company that only uses Mac so I got use to the key commands and can work faster on the Mac.

City, State
    Lorain, Ohio, USA

I use both - at home I have a iMac and at work I have a PC. I don't really have a preference on which one I use. There are only subtle differences. The pros/cons for both are unrelated to actually designing stuff on them. I like the packaging (design/styling/features) better on the Mac, but the cost is high, and there's not as much available software for it as on a PC.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information