Design Contest - since 2003 - custom graphic design done affordable

9 AM - 8 PM PST

Welcome to DesignContest - a friendly community made for designers of all levels. Join us as a designer and you can:
  •   learn about design tricks and techniques
  •   find answers to questions
  •   share your own knowledge
Or just come hang out! It's a nice place just to have a friendly chat with fellow designers.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Posspoint

Thread: Free or paid fonts

City, State
    Toulouse

Free or paid fonts

Hey, guys! I know that many designers use free fonts but I was wondering how many of you buy and used paid fonts from sites like myfonts.com? How many paid fonts are there in your collection and what are your favorites?

follow DesignContest on twitter

My opinion on this: There are very little options if you go for free fonts. At first you might think they’re plenty, but looking at them carefully, you’ll realize they’re of the same style, only recycled and slightly changed.

City, State
    Toulouse

Quote Originally Posted by debonaireV View Post
    My opinion on this: There are very little options if you go for free fonts. At first you might think they’re plenty, but looking at them carefully, you’ll realize they’re of the same style, only recycled and slightly changed.
    Do I understand it correctly that you recommend going with paid fonts? You don't use free fonts at all?

follow DesignContest on twitter

I would recommend using paid fonts if one intends to use it professionally. This saves one from the consequences involved with using a free font, of which origin is unknown. However, for personal use, using free fonts is fine. I do use free fonts, but only when I practice. This is just how I see things. The choice is always up to the person.

City, State
    ~Night's Heart~

after a while of using free fonts i started to notice that they all look the same unless for few tweeks.. just the same concepts & lines.
    I have to admit there IS few good fonts among them.. but moslty repeated / or else a really cool font with a license forbidding commercial use.

for me , i have a collection of mixed fonts (free & paid) but i only would pay for a font if really realllly like it or i can't really find the perfect font for a certain design.
    for the free ones.. i look really hard & always try to find the best & most professional royalty free ones..sometimes some real research can unveil some fresh stuff.

This is just my point of view ^__^

I think that choice depends of type of project.

For web based projects there is nice selection of free fonts, but also service like Typekit is great, there are big collection of fonts for your projects for yearly subscription (which is not expensive).

For print and logo stuff it is good to pay for some good font.

Also, I like to see some custom made logotypes also, that haven't used any existing free or paid fonts

City, State
    Honolulu

Free font or paid font in my eyes dont really matter. We are all designers just on different levels. No matter if your using Helevetica or Impact as your font its what you do with the font is what makes it unique. If your designing and dont track or kern your type or even use leading then yes it does look all the same. But by means of unique I dont mean just formatting but design elements as well.. Adding a slash or inverting a letter etc is what design is all about. Use of positive and negative space is value.

Interesting post btw.
    Thanks

I haven't tried purchasing a premium/paid font... Im satisfied using FREE license fonts...

Banned
    City, State
    Manila

Me also, resuperus, I haven't buying paid fonts... Coz free fonts is no difference with paid fonts... Only their license...^^ i think..

Banned

I prefer use free fonts... Cause it also have so many different style too. But somtime I used paid fonts.

mostly use free, for more serious projects paid or costum fonts

Usually paid fonts have more options/styles (italic, bold, different weights), while free quality fonts are hard to find. I'd say that it's a matter of what fits each case. Free fonts are not necessarily bad (although there are too many bad of them )

City, State
    Selangor

no matter free or paid fonts, suitable for the design, means the best font.
    some time i modify the font to suit my design.

City, State
    Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by Hanami View Post
    Usually paid fonts have more options/styles (italic, bold, different weights), while free quality fonts are hard to find. I'd say that it's a matter of what fits each case. Free fonts are not necessarily bad (although there are too many bad of them )
    I agree with you.
    all can be viewed from each case.
    Dabbey54 likes this.

City, State
    Accra, ghana

99.9% of my fonts are free lol. I go in for the free fonts not because they are free, but the make me work more because i have seen greater works from free fonts.

City, State
    Central New York

free is for me

City, State
    Accra, ghana

lool they say "The best things in life are for free" not always tho.

Thread Information