• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 VladTodirut

VladTodirut

• Designer
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Uhhh first thread :)

Please keep in mind that this is my process and personal tips, i'm sure a lot of you disagree and have another process.

I know i'm more of a webdesigner then a logo designer but i do like to belive i know my way around the latter, so here are some good ( i hope ) tips on the process of creating a logo.

Tip 1 - drawing
I'm sure any good designer will tell you that a good logo starts on the papper, and is true! not necessary the drawing part, but it forces you to brainstorm a bit and come up with concepts and ideas.

Tip 2 - b/w
Always create your logo on grayscale first, then start colouring. The shape of the logo is the most important thing there is, using colour only distracts your eye from the shape.
If you like the logo in black and white, you will love it in color.

Tip 3 - Typography
i'm sure all of us have a bunch of fonts installed and we use then over and over again in our work. You only think you have enough fonts but you never actually do. When working on a logo, try to find a good font for it, go beyond the ones you already own. Sometimes it take me hours to get a font that i feel fits the clients industry/needs.
There is a really nice article on SmashingMagazine about typography and the fact that it's growing bigger and bigger and that it will be the trend for 2013+

Tip 4 - Presentation of the logo
My experience tells me that the presentation of the logo (or any other desing) is just as important as anything else, try to show the client how the logo will look on b/w and negative too.
If you can, place the logo on the photography of a business card, makes it more real and gives the client a good idea on how it will look and in my opinion it always makes the logo look better.

This should be it for now :) i hope some other designers would give some more tips on the process of logodesign, because there are a lot more to give.

Thank you, hope it helped someone :)

ps to mods: if this is not the right place for this, let me know :)
  • JanDeVink likes this

#2 Danniiel

Danniiel

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:55 AM

I like your process ^^, I usually just jump in to Illustrator ( I do try to sketch some concepts first but I fail at it most of the time :( ) I still have a long way to go in my logo design journey, so thanks for the tips!

#3 VladTodirut

VladTodirut

• Designer
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

There is no failing in sketching :) every sketch is a step forward. It doesn't have to look perfect on paper, u just need to get the idea of how you want it to look.

#4 3187mohit

3187mohit

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

step 2 and step 4 are easily missed when I design. I dint practice much sketching even after knowing it helps.
I'm certainly going to go by your method for some time and see how it works.

#5 Alexa

Alexa

• Designer
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

very methodical ;) nice!!!

#6 Logo35

Logo35

Banned

• Banned
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

I always find it very difficult to sketch a design, for some unknown reason, I seem to get all of my creativity when using the program, although, I would really like to keep a sketchbook of my ideas, and I need help being more creative when sketching, ideas?

#7 VladTodirut

VladTodirut

• Designer
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

I always find it very difficult to sketch a design, for some unknown reason, I seem to get all of my creativity when using the program, although, I would really like to keep a sketchbook of my ideas, and I need help being more creative when sketching, ideas?

For me it was hard at the beginning too, because my drawing skills weren't that good, and if your drawings aren't good you get discouraged fast.
Idea is to draw as much as you can anything you can, just to get better at drawing. If you get good or even decent at drawing, you will start to spend more time on your initial sketch and draw details on it, thats when the creative process starts to emerge.

Another good idea is to look around the internet for inspiration, figure out what style you want to do and see what has been done in the same industry, and after that start sketching.

Good luck, and don't forget creativity is not something you can force :)

#8 Logo35

Logo35

Banned

• Banned
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

Thanks man, helped a lot!

#9 darianjc

darianjc

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

I completely agree with your process.. I do the same

#10 3187mohit

3187mohit

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

Since I posted last here, I've been sketching my designs out on paper first. And the results are awesome. My sketching skills were really good before I started to use software. Now I've entered into a year long commitment of 365 doodles, to enhance my skills. No doubt, sketching invites brainstorming. Software, for me is for finishing work. :)

#11 VladTodirut

VladTodirut

• Designer
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

Sounds like a great plan, glad it helped and good luck :)

#12 JibonerJonno

JibonerJonno

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

Already sketched and designed a lot in the last few days. But, never known those important facts like "create your logo on grayscale first, then start colouring", "you have enough fonts but you never actually do" and "try to show the client how the logo will look on b/w and negative too". I am trying to start my business in the graphic world and these lessons will definitely make me do better from now. Thanks VladTodirut

#13 Guest_mv777_*

Guest_mv777_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

Another positive thing about sketching is that there's no delete button. Ideas can go the wrong way and undo/redo buttons work linearly. Design doesn't go forward and back in one dimension.

Buy yourselves a big sketchbook where you will keep all of your projects from idea to the last analog step. Then you can analyze the processes and learn both from the successful and unsuccessful projects.

Don't be ashamed of the failed projects and never throw them out. Those are your scars and provide more information than the successful projects.

#14 AKD

AKD

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

yeah, I agree with you, especially with 1 and 2 tips, I'm often use this tips.

#15 ArtNik

ArtNik

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the tips! I always do the greyscale thing at the end and it's not right, i know....:confused:

#16 Anastasiia

Anastasiia

• Designer
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Hi, Vlad! Thank you for your tip about black and white drawing. It is realy important! I have don't thought about it before.

#17 sanda

sanda

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:17 AM

thanks for yours tips...sketching is importan

#18 hasadwali

hasadwali

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

thanks for sharing