• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

OK, so I noticed a trend lately in numerous logo contests, where the contest holder is rating entries with 1 (one) point only. Seems like they rate many designs with 1 point, 0 point (or they just eliminate an entry). As a designer, I know it takes quite a bit of time and talent to develop and design a logo, and since designers ranks are based on points ratings, seems like a lot of work for just a lonely 1 point out of 100.

Obviously it is up to the CH to manage their own contest however it works best for them, but is there a new stipulation for contest holders regarding the 1 point rating system? Not complaining...just wondering...

• Guests

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

We try to educate contest holders on the importance of rating entries in their contests. However the rating styles differ from one contest holder to another. We do realize how much work goes into each entry, however we are not in the position to force CHs to use a particular rating system.

#3 ardianet

ardianet

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

With the new rules,
I guess it will be difficult for level 1 designers to achieved higher level if the CH only gave 1 rating point/not rated/eliminate the design.

Hope DC have solution for this kind of thing. :)

Regards,
Ardia

#4 chrisbills

chrisbills

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

but some contest holders never rate, even till the end of contest. I have very bad eperience with that contests :[

#5 manila

manila

• Designer
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

read this:

"I think this happens when a CH just leaves a comment for a specific entry. It automatically makes the rating 1 out of 100 [unless the CH increases it]." (from Vickyb of Design Contest)

#6 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

@manila~ that makes sense now! I had just noticed recently that a lot of contests were rating just about every entry with 1 point only. Glad to know that's not what they think of all our designs! Looks more like CH's are bookmarking entries they like (by leaving feedback) to come back later and rate - at least that's how I would hope it would work.

#7 Javed

Javed

Banned

• Banned
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

I am agree with you PaintedPony just look at this contest http://www.designcon...ormance-tuning/
CH just give some entry 1 point, its like they took a paper weight on us and then after a very long week they pick one and its ends dont know why but it happens so many times.

#8 sjkelly07

sjkelly07

• Designer
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

This will apply even more so now with the limitation placed on design uploads. For instance if you are in the early Levels and only have one or two uploads to play with. It is crucial you have some sort of rating of feedback to progress with the design.

#9 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:03 AM

: ) We do our best to help you guys!

Some clients are very good about rating and even "over" rate to make sure you get the credit for your hard work, we then have a few that no matter how much I talk with them, they still do not rate. The clients are sent messages that if they want to see more work from a designer that the entry has to be rate 30 or higher. So designers have unlimited entries no matter what level you are when a contestholder rates the entry 30 or more.

One more thing........you can always send a help ticket in or come to live chat if a ch is asking for revised work and you are out of entries, we will do our best to help you!

Like us on facebook

#10 ideasstudio

ideasstudio

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

I think that's many kind of people in this world, some are nice and some are not, we just have to face it.

#11 jjyepez

jjyepez

Guru

• Designer
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Well, If I may voice my oppinion: dealing with different types of CHs and doing your best in not only making a great design but giving a special treatment to CHs is part of key elements needed to aspire winning some contests and even to gain real-life CRM experience for your freelance practice.

I think, as part of participating in a contest, gaining CHs confidence or empathy so they feel motivated to give you more feedbacks and rating points is just part of "the game"

I hope this make sense :-)

Best regards & Success!
--
jjy

#12 nlroop

nlroop

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

I know I look forward to the rating points but to me it's not as important in the contest as feedback. Frequent feedback is helps all designers know what the client is looking for. With rating points you still are not really sure exactly what the ch is looking for.

#13 locours

locours

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

But I guess more designers will respond to a contest if the contest holder is actively rating the entries.

#14 NKDesigns

NKDesigns

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

I really think the CH should rate it honestly but i dont think anyone deserves a 1 out of 100 and with the CH's that dont rate till the end no one can really know if they need to change something or improve it

#15 DESIGNKB

DESIGNKB

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

yes it think it makes no sense too

#16 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

So, I guess we determined that the "1" point was not actually the CH's rating, but if they make a comment regarding one of your entries, it will automatically rate your design with 1 point. Good to know!

Some CH's are great and are excited to participate to help create their project and work with great designers from around the world willing to help. But some CH's aren't (which I don't understand as THEY are PAYING for this service!) Why would they not be involved?

@locours~ I agree. I think most designers will respond to a contest with an active CH leaving comments/feedback and ratings (and also has a good brief), which would only benefit them (and the designers) in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users