Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

how to participate in blind contests

#2 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36603 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

The same as you participate in open ones.

#3 rajagee

rajagee

• Designer
  • 225 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

Unfortunately i ask contest holder please make the contest blind DC, team ask me don't ask contest holder blind the contest. why ? anybody tell me why he ask me ? i also work freelancer and ask contest holder plz sealed the contest but freelancer do not ask me.

#4 3187mohit

3187mohit

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Unfortunately i ask contest holder please make the contest blind DC, team ask me don't ask contest holder blind the contest. why ? anybody tell me why he ask me ? i also work freelancer and ask contest holder plz sealed the contest but freelancer do not ask me.

Its inappropriate to ask. Its a contest holder's choice and should not be tempered with a designer's choice. Most of them are open contests here, unlike on some other sites where there is are no other options but just blind contests. There is certainly something about open contests that Contest holders like.

#5 paradiseash

paradiseash

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

Open contests generally produce better results because the designers are bouncing ideas off of each other. No, most designers don't like it when someone sees an idea they have and adds that to their design (in a way that it's not copyright), but being able to see the designs that are in the lead also helps the designers get a better idea of what the CH is looking for. The only benefit to the CH of having a blind contest is they probably get a lot more variety in the types of designs that they receive.

#6 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

Its inappropriate to ask. Its a contest holder's choice and should not be tempered with a designer's choice. Most of them are open contests here, unlike on some other sites where there is are no other options but just blind contests. There is certainly something about open contests that Contest holders like.

Also it costs the CH more to run a blind contest since it's considered a feature on this website

#7 paradiseash

paradiseash

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Also it costs the CH more to run a blind contest since it's considered a feature on this website

Which would make it all the more inappropriate to ask the CH to switch the contest to blind.

#8 lukastatroman

lukastatroman

• Designer
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

open or blind contest its doesn't matter for me..the final result always depends on the clients taste. what we do is always try and do the best work for the client/ch

#9 cnotv

cnotv

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

Isn't always like that.
In the start I was a little upset about this feature as designer, but considering the result, in late time I've changed my mind.

I just wonder if is possible to watch the users designs when the contest is close, even I didn't run for it.
Sometimes I get stuck with CH request in the brief, because I cant figure out what they want.
So this for me will be really helpful!

#10 Mabding

Mabding

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

Do the same as you do in an open one :)

#11 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

I have a question. I have noticed that one of the moderators enters a lot of blind contests. Can this moderator see the other entries and comments, or is he or she blinded also. It just seems that he is always in first or second place in these contests. Can anyone answer please. It has really put me off entering any blind contests. Thanks, Liz

#12 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

lizonil have you ever noticed a moderators entry, winning or not a copy of any designer in the blind contests? or entry based off of feedback in the blind contest?

Like us on facebook

#13 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

to be honest Sharie, I have never gone back and looked. But just wondered if the mods can see the other entries and comments? Can they?

#14 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

lizonil

It must not be that big of a concern for you then if the moderators can view the entries if you have not gone back and checked.

Yes moderators can see the entries, how else can they moderate the entries to make sure no one is cheating in blind contests? They have to be able to see , to make sure no one else is cheating buy using clipart or stealing a design that maybe you created for another contest...and yes this happens all the time, a cheater takes an entry from a another designer from another contest and enters blind contests.

The moderators entries have never been copies of other designers entries or based off of feedback for others.

These guys work to protect your rights as a designer, they are not paid to do this and do this on their own time. I think more people should appreciate the time and efforts they put into designcontest to protect designers rights and the integrity of designcontest.com

so who moderates the moderators.... myself and other admins here at designcontest.com

Like us on facebook

#15 paradiseash

paradiseash

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

In that case, moderators shouldn't be allowed to participate in blind contests. That's basically cheating since they get to see everyone elses entries and what the CH is saying about them. And that's not fair to the CH since the CH is paying to make it so designers can't see each others designs and the moderators are looking at the other designs.

#16 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

paradiseash they are not cheating.... also we can not limit the contest the moderators participate , they volunteer their time. Our moderators are moderated. None of the entries the moderators have entered in blind contests have been copies or based on feedback of others in blind contests. Would you rather no moderators in the contest? if so why? These moderators work hard to protect your rights as a designer, are you not wanting this? would you rather have a cheater steal your designs and enter them in a blind a contest? We catch cheaters in blind contests "EVERY" day. cheaters meaning using clipart or stealing designs you and other designers have created, not just parts of a design but whole designs and enter as their own.

If I was a designer in a blind contest I would want these guys watching out for me.

Again NONE of the entries these moderators have been copies. They also have to work double hard to make sure their entries are no where near what other designers entries, this makes the blind contests even harder for the moderators

Like us on facebook

#17 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Sharie, I just wanted to know that is all. I presumed they could see, so if I see a moderator rated as number 1 in a blind contest I am not going to bother entering as the mod definitely has the advantage. He can see what the CH prefers with ranking points, he does not have to copy anyone but has a much better idea of what the client wants as he can read all the feedback. He can see what style of fonts are preferred, he can see if drop shadows and shading are preferred etc., he does not have to copy, that is not what I am concerned about. I don't believe a mod would do anything like that, I don't think they would use clipart etc., but you have to admit that they have the advantage over those of us that cannot see. I honestly think that mods should not be allowed to enter blind contests. Maybe you should put this to a general vote. I didn't mean to upset you.

#18 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

ALL designers can see ranking points in ALL contests

To be honest I am a bit saddened by this, these guys work so hard for you, the designers and then get this thing that they have an advantage, The advantage is not in their favor.

I am sorry but this will not go to a general vote.

Like us on facebook

#19 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

We cannot see the designs and the ranking points together. I am not saying they don't work hard for us, I completely accept that they do and very thankful for their protection. But nonetheless, they still have an advantage. I have just gone and looked at a comp that was blind and the gold and silver are extremely similar, and I know one of them is a mod, if not both. I think if mods are allowed to enter blind contests we should be made aware of it and a list of all moderators should be made available to us somewhere on the site. Then we can make an informed decision on whether or not we want to put in our time to go up against them. Kind regards, Liz

#20 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36603 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Dear Lizonil,
I really respect you as a designer, I also love your work, btw.
Please try to think other way as we do feel about it. That is not advantage for us, trust me, not in way. First of all I loved blind contest because of surprize effect, and impatient waiting to finally see the winner... you know that feeling right. Well, unfortunately that option is not there any more. Another important thing, we have to be specially careful with our designs there, even there is not much difference in open contests. Seeing high rated design, if there is so, it doesn't give any difference - we (all of us designers in DC) have to be different and original. What's the point if I see your design high rated, if I don't even like it? Designers should not operate like that. This is a matter of ethics for all of us.
Blind contests are there for the client to have much original ideas he/she can have... while for us it means the same, but must important NOT TO COPY each other.
I am aware and understand your concerns fully, but I am hoping you will understand our point of view as well and also a little bit (you can't see the bad parts, unfortunately) of the hard work we are doing every day for ALL OF US in order to make DC a better place.
DC became a home for many of us, and we should all try to keep it like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users