Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Pixel based design submissions on kitesurfer contest?

paint shop pro transparent background

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 PaperSalad

PaperSalad

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

I'm seeing a lot of Photoshop/pixel based designs being submitted for the kitesurfer contest right now. While the client would probably be happier with the kind of texture and grunge we could get with Photoshop (since he's asking for a distressed look), I thought we were restricted to using vectors (and I completely understand why that rule is in place).

I'm using vectors only at the moment, but if I can use Photoshop as the others are doing I could submit edgier looks. Are there different rules for this particular contest?

#2 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:30 PM

Hi there

For this type of contest vectors are great but if the photoshop file is hi res and can be sent as a hi res tiff/psd then that is allowed. Logo contests are the contests we absolutely require ALL designer to create the original design in layerd vector file. One reason is because the vector file can be scaled very small to very large with no loss

with a contest like this board design you have specific size to work with and the design will not be needed to size small or very large. So you can creat the exact size at a hi res will work for the print companies

Like us on facebook

#3 PaperSalad

PaperSalad

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

Thank you for the clarity!

#4 ideasstudio

ideasstudio

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

Hi Sharie,

I had participate in a illustration contest (Squeezie) and i suspected some of the entry is using photoshop file, is photoshop file allowed in this contest?

#5 Alexys

Alexys

• Designer
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hi,

I have looked around a lot and this thread seems to be the closest to what I’m looking for. I read everything I found around here, the Q&A and the rules and I can say it is pretty clear when you have to use vectors. However, I did not find any clear statement about raster images. Therefore, in order to avoid breaking the rules, please allow me to ask for clarification:

1. When a client requests a design for a specified product or package, the sent images may be raster, is that correct? In this case, the final file to be sent will be .jpg, .png, .bmp, etc. or should it be vector format with raster elements inside?
e.g.: False Eyelash Set Packaging
Bathroom Towel Infrared Heater

2. When a client requests a design that includes logo + packaging design, the image may be raster if the logo is sent separately as vector, is that correct?
e.g.: http://www.designcon...adache-product/

I have not sent any raster images yet. Nevertheless, it is useful to know for I might do it.

Best regards,
Alexys

#6 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hi there

1. those two contest are not logo contest. file formats will vary on these depending on what the ch wants, vector is always best as it doesn't lose quality when you enlarge or shrink . but if ch says raster is fine then raster then it is allowed as long as the res will allow the size that needs to be printed

2. In this case the winning files should have a vector file included in the source files , all logos require vector files

Like us on facebook

#7 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

Alexys,

When you are designing packaging, final file should be vector, all text on packaging should be a outlined. Winners must upload source file .ai, .cdr, .psd and it is the same for the logo design.

best regards

#8 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Always check the brief and ask the contestholder if they know the print specs, what the print company requires, this will help assure the ch the final files will not have any print issues, packaging can be psd files as long as they meet the print specs.

Like us on facebook

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paint shop pro, transparent background

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users