Don't copy!!

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Creativitron

Creativitron

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

I found out many Contest holders keep track of people who are copying designs.
This was a relief to me because many times people who copy end up winning the contest.
I hope that most contest holders will realize our hard work and not give any credit to the copy cats :eek:

#2 sunface

sunface

• Designer
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

Hi Creativitron
I am agree with you. All contests should be blind contest is the only solution

#3 Creativitron

Creativitron

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:41 AM

Hello Sunface,
Exactly :(

#4 MrBojangles

MrBojangles

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

I have to say I agree with creativitron,
but I do find the non-blind contest once in a while refreshing as well.

But after all you are right, blind contests are probably the most creative.
Of course the CH then has to be specific enough what he wants.
While the idea of copying others isn't really fun to me, I do risk one or the other glance
at other designs when I ask myself things like "so, what exactly is the company name now?"
or "what did he mean by that phrase about the style" or similar things when the contest brief is vague or written in an incomprehensible language.

#5 krsbelle

krsbelle

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

I agree with creativitron ... and yes, the copy cats often win the contest because they take the critiques from to CH and build on the copied design before the original creator has a chance. Then the original designer looks like the copy cat if they try and build on their original design.

#6 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

I think this was mentioned by someone else in another post...
" All top designs should be made blind for those are the ones that are being copied"

I think this is the best option for all
Maybe to a point of anything above 75% should be made blind. Also to prevent others from still seeing the top designs when the designer posts a revision it is made automatically blind but then we would need a check box saying it is a revision.

OR you could give us designers the option to show or hide our work from others. Only CH sees. Before we submit we have a check box or button to say hide entry.

#7 Eraser

Eraser

• Designer
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hello Creativitron
Excellent... Blind contest is the only way

#8 Airb0rn

Airb0rn

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

totally agree with you, but the real problem is rather the lack of respect that copy cats have towards the others designers.
it's annoying to see someone copying an idea that comes from our own imagination and find a new idea better than our own idea that was copied !

#9 Creativitron

Creativitron

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

I think making all the contest blind would be a great idea.
Although sometimes I do find myself lost and without any ideas for a logo, I prefer to withhold from submitting a design to that contest.
:cool:

#10 Airb0rn

Airb0rn

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

Totaly agree, a No Blind contest is good just for have an first idea of design!

#11 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Although, i did not participate in any tender, but i accept the suggestion of Dskwkrs (OR you could give us designers the option to show or hide our work from others. Only CH sees. Before we submit we have a check box or button to say hide entry. ) because i see many contests with nearly identical designs, which also does not facilitate the choice of contests holders, and there are many good designers here, i hope being able to improve the quality of DC.

#12 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Its simple, a normal contest + / - 70-90 entries, the blind contest - 20. all this just proves 90% of designers are false. blind all contests in my opinion.

#13 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hi Zounds I do not think 90% of designers seam false, it seems to me is that competition is competition and everyone wants to win so...but I agree that most of the contests should be blind

#14 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

blind contests needs to have more precise brief then ...

#15 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

That is a fact, from what I've seen, I've seen good briefs and briefs that say nothing cobalt

#16 lkyllo

lkyllo

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

I can see the reasons for blind contests, no one likes to be copied but... I find with blind contests I waste a lot of time not knowing the aesthetic the contest holder is going for. Some entries are eliminated right away because the contest holder already has something in mind. In this was blind contests can infact inhibit creativity. And I would argue that this is why there are much fewer entries in blind contests- not because everyone relies on copying, but because some of us find it more efficient. The new book "Steal Like and Artist" by Austin Kleon might be an interesting devil's advocate for those strongly against open contests.

#17 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

Interesting your point of view, by the way, the book is called "Steal Like and Artist" or "Steal Like an Artist"?

#18 Dalband

Dalband

Banned

• Banned
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

yes, I agree... With un-blind contest there are many ideas was stolen by another designer.....

#19 Lovie2000

Lovie2000

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

Yes I have seen many..... have had my concepts stolen and my design eliminated many times.

Prologo Expresso, Lda

I am not in this contest I went to it to check it out and maybe enter and saw this; Design #51 #52 is by the same person..... they used the same concept elements of the designer #47

I left a comment... don't know if that was a good idea.... but I did ask do they think it is a wise or fair to use the same concept elements as the earlier designer? Or are they the same person using different accounts. the star, the sword, and the half gear is IDENTICAL......

And both these designers have won many contests.......

I erased my comment so the designs won't get deleted and the staff can go see what I am referring to.

Either they are the same person using different accounts or they are using CLIP ART and one copied the other

Edited by Lovie2000, 10 October 2012 - 03:55 AM.

#20 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hi Lovie2000, estive a ver os designs que te referes e acho que tens razão, os elementos da bandeira de angola são idênticos, be coincidence? what intrigues me most is the tear on the blade of the sword

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users