M.I.A.'s coming back with power-power

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 lindseyswop

lindseyswop

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:13 AM

Just joined this community so I decided to "show off" what I just got done working with. Comments/slander/worship accepted! 'Tis a vector I started on in the beginning of the summer as an incentive to keep me designing and being overall artsy all summer long. I'd never done a vector with lineart, so I gave it a try. Lineart done in Photoshop using photo ref. Vectored colors created in Illustrator. All vector, even the pattern on her shirt. 135 paths. Opacity: 10%-85%. Time: approx. 15 hours, i think... i procrastinated a lot.

Posted Image

#2 chveti

chveti

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:08 AM

the closeups from your portfolio are great! :)
My small portfolio *click*
My flickr profile *click*

#3 Zendon.E

Zendon.E

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

Indeed got talent. I like your vector art, is that a self portrait?
Stuntin is a habit.

#4 lindseyswop

lindseyswop

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:52 PM

Indeed got talent. I like your vector art, is that a self portrait?

Thank you! I really appreciate that. No, that's not me. It's a music artist named M.I.A.
Check me out on flickr and dA.

I may be different, but I get the job done. Embrace diversity.

#5 Guest_atsyx_*

Guest_atsyx_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:57 PM

The art is spot-on towards M.I.A's vibrant persona, I think it's golden :)

#6 Neal

Neal

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

Great work by all means! Only thing that stands out to me is the pattern on the shirt, it looks as though it's laid in the shirt, then you just added the "lines" for the folds of the shirt on top of it. I'm not sure if I'm describing it right, or making sense, but if I were you I'd distort the shape of the pattern at least going into the armpits, if it were an actual shirt the patter wouldn't line up perfectly at those folds. Awesome job otherwise, and I admire your dedication to work on things through the summer. I know I did little or no designing when I in college....of course I went to college for golf, not design, lol.

#7 JNT86

JNT86

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:53 PM

Great work by all means! Only thing that stands out to me is the pattern on the shirt, it looks as though it's laid in the shirt, then you just added the "lines" for the folds of the shirt on top of it. I'm not sure if I'm describing it right, or making sense, but if I were you I'd distort the shape of the pattern at least going into the armpits, if it were an actual shirt the patter wouldn't line up perfectly at those folds. Awesome job otherwise, and I admire your dedication to work on things through the summer. I know I did little or no designing when I in college....of course I went to college for golf, not design, lol.

i like the pattern on the shirt being flat, if she had wanted to do accurate folds, im sure she could have. the flat quality gives it much more of a "graphic" look IMO

#8 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

looks good but the face kinda odd. Maybe you should make her eyes white instead of gray. And leave out the black outlines in the face.

#9 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

I think that her face looks deformed. Like those pore ppl on mtv after plastic surgery.
"Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

#10 Pilar_Robledo

Pilar_Robledo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:34 AM

Nice job! In my opinion work more with white color on thos eyes...they need more expression...

good luck!

#11 Lerain

Lerain

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 07:02 AM

I gotta agree with Chung about the outlines inside of the face, other than that: impressive! :) I like it alot!

#12 atondex

atondex

• Designer
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:25 AM

Nice work, but there's something odd with the right hand. Love the pattern !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users