Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Free or paid fonts

fonts

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hey, guys! I know that many designers use free fonts but I was wondering how many of you buy and used paid fonts from sites like myfonts.com? How many paid fonts are there in your collection and what are your favorites?

#2 debonaireV

debonaireV

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

My opinion on this: There are very little options if you go for free fonts. At first you might think they’re plenty, but looking at them carefully, you’ll realize they’re of the same style, only recycled and slightly changed.

• Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

My opinion on this: There are very little options if you go for free fonts. At first you might think they’re plenty, but looking at them carefully, you’ll realize they’re of the same style, only recycled and slightly changed.

Do I understand it correctly that you recommend going with paid fonts? You don't use free fonts at all?

#4 debonaireV

debonaireV

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

I would recommend using paid fonts if one intends to use it professionally. This saves one from the consequences involved with using a free font, of which origin is unknown. However, for personal use, using free fonts is fine. I do use free fonts, but only when I practice. This is just how I see things. The choice is always up to the person. :)

#5 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

after a while of using free fonts i started to notice that they all look the same unless for few tweeks.. just the same concepts & lines.
I have to admit there IS few good fonts among them.. but moslty repeated / or else a really cool font with a license forbidding commercial use.

for me , i have a collection of mixed fonts (free & paid) but i only would pay for a font if really realllly like it or i can't really find the perfect font for a certain design.
for the free ones.. i look really hard & always try to find the best & most professional royalty free ones..sometimes some real research can unveil some fresh stuff.

This is just my point of view ^__^

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#6 milos

milos

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

I think that choice depends of type of project.

For web based projects there is nice selection of free fonts, but also service like Typekit is great, there are big collection of fonts for your projects for yearly subscription (which is not expensive).

For print and logo stuff it is good to pay for some good font.

Also, I like to see some custom made logotypes also, that haven't used any existing free or paid fonts :)

#7 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Free font or paid font in my eyes dont really matter. We are all designers just on different levels. No matter if your using Helevetica or Impact as your font its what you do with the font is what makes it unique. If your designing and dont track or kern your type or even use leading then yes it does look all the same. But by means of unique I dont mean just formatting but design elements as well.. Adding a slash or inverting a letter etc is what design is all about. Use of positive and negative space is value.

Interesting post btw.
Thanks
  • sharie likes this

#8 manila

manila

• Designer
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

I haven't tried purchasing a premium/paid font... Im satisfied using FREE license fonts...

#9 alvinnavarra

alvinnavarra

Banned

• Banned
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Me also, resuperus, I haven't buying paid fonts... Coz free fonts is no difference with paid fonts... Only their license...^^ i think..

#10 Dalband

Dalband

Banned

• Banned
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I prefer use free fonts... Cause it also have so many different style too. But somtime I used paid fonts.

#11 FullHeads

FullHeads

• Designer
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

mostly use free, for more serious projects paid or costum fonts

#12 Hanami

Hanami

• Designer
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Usually paid fonts have more options/styles (italic, bold, different weights), while free quality fonts are hard to find. I'd say that it's a matter of what fits each case. Free fonts are not necessarily bad (although there are too many bad of them :rolleyes: )

#13 ideasstudio

ideasstudio

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

no matter free or paid fonts, suitable for the design, means the best font.
some time i modify the font to suit my design.

#14 crabios

crabios

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

Usually paid fonts have more options/styles (italic, bold, different weights), while free quality fonts are hard to find. I'd say that it's a matter of what fits each case. Free fonts are not necessarily bad (although there are too many bad of them :rolleyes: )

I agree with you.
all can be viewed from each case.

#15 Dabbey54

Dabbey54

• Designer
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

99.9% of my fonts are free lol. I go in for the free fonts not because they are free, but the make me work more :) because i have seen greater works from free fonts.

#16 duffydesign

duffydesign

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

free is for me

#17 Dabbey54

Dabbey54

• Designer
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:44 AM

lool they say "The best things in life are for free" not always tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users