• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

I just love movies but I am stuck to found the good one - any recommendations? :cool:

From me to you guys:

La cara oculta (great spanish movie)

#2 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

I love movies too Operhal - i've watched 1000s of all genres. I like loooong films with great character development most (no really bothered about special effects).

Some of my top favourites off the top of my head - pulp fiction, godfather 1 & 2, city of god, a clockwork orange (watched Dr. Strangelove the other day which is another good Kubrick film), The deerhunter, apocalypse now, Schindler's List.....

I'm kinda struggling to find good new films at the moment, the last great new film I watched was Django.

I'll try the one you recommended at let you know what I thought!

What Genre/s are you most into?

#3 aandrei_24

aandrei_24

Guru

• Designer
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

I watched a couple of nice movies the last month:
Stand Up Guys (Pacino/Walken) and Side Effects (Jude Law/Zeta-Jones)...
@GJR Django was very good, as you'd expect from Tarantino... I also enjoy you Brit fellow Guy Ritchie...

Edited by aandrei_24, 28 November 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#4 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

@gary: well, I love sci-fi :) as well as thriller and good drama and movies like Amelie, The Intouchables, Life of Pi...
@aandrei: I also love Guy Ritchie and Tarantino, Django is great!

#5 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

I really like Tarantino movies as well — Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are 2 of my favourite movies. Though I was disappointed with Django. Tarantino was on Jay Leno the other day and said his next movie will be a Western, but it won't have anything to do with Django.

I just love movies but I am stuck to found the good one - any recommendations? :cool:

From me to you guys:

La cara oculta (great spanish movie)

If you like short films, here are two websites you may like:
—- www.shortoftheweek.com
—- www.epicshortfilms.com

Most of them are independently produced and are really well done! So if you ever bored or have 30 minutes to spare, you can always watch a couple of these films :)

#6 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Thanks Happy GD!

#7 aandrei_24

aandrei_24

Guru

• Designer
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

@operhal If you like Sci-fi i want to recommend a few classics, older movies (you might have already seen them):
- Stalker
- The City of Lost Children (french "La cité des enfants perdus")
- Brazil
Also the two movies i mentioned earlier in my post i really enjoyed.
And i am VERY curious about this new movie Ender's Game, i loved the book series, Orson Scott Card is one of my favourite sci-fi writers along Asimov, Bradbury, Herbert and Clarke.

#8 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

@operhal If you like Sci-fi i want to recommend a few classics, older movies (you might have already seen them):
- Stalker
- The City of Lost Children (french "La cité des enfants perdus")
- Brazil
Also the two movies i mentioned earlier in my post i really enjoyed.
And i am VERY curious about this new movie Ender's Game, i loved the book series, Orson Scott Card is one of my favourite sci-fi writers along Asimov, Bradbury, Herbert and Clarke.

Stalker - watched
The City of Lost Children (french "La cité des enfants perdus") -watched :)
Brazil - watched :)

as I said - i am trully sci-fi fan :) and i am also waiting ender's game as well as gravity :)

#9 aandrei_24

aandrei_24

Guru

• Designer
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

You really are a fan! Those three are my favourite sci-fi movies of all time. I think i know every scene from stalker....
i think you are the one who should recommend movies....

#10 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Not sure what I could recommend : )

We are going to see "Frozen" later on today!

Like us on facebook

#11 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

@ andrei - The City of Lost Children - Not watched :) - I will add that my list - thank you!

#12 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

@operhal : best sci fi ever .... Blade runner, and underrated good one :dark city, but you might have seen it.
Gravity is amazing but you have to see it on a big screen.
if you're looking for recent ones
, try looper, source code, extracted and Europa report.

And if you're Willing to try old awesome movies, may I suggest the sting (redford/newman), Life is wonderful (Frank capra). Two of my top 5 movies of all Time.

#13 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

@operhal : best sci fi ever .... Blade runner, and underrated good one :dark city, but you might have seen it.

And if you're Willing to try old awesome movies, may I suggest the sting (redford/newman), Life is wonderful (Frank capra). Two of my top 5 movies of all Time.

I love Blade runner and the sting. Haven't seen Extracted - another for the list - Thanks!

I assume you mean "it's a wonderful life" - which is my dad's favourite - he used to make me sit through it every Christmas (I didn't mind)!

#14 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

Yes of course I meant "it's a wonderful a life"... Shame on me ... And your dad is a good Man then :cool:

By the way and sorry to change subject , but you're british right? I'm probably gonna Settle for a year in england in the near future.
I might be looking for a job then !
Are you working in graphic design ? How is IT / graphic design market these days ?

#15 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

:( Well, I guess you cant suggest some sci-fi to me because I seen them all :) I found Europa report very good movie, different and entertaining

but thanks for old movies :)

#16 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

Not sure what I could recommend : )

We are going to see "Frozen" later on today!

which one
Frozen (2013) - IMDb or Frozen (2010) - IMDb

#17 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

ha ha ha , you're obviously a sci-fi fan ;-)

Let me try one last time, have a look a these films :
- moon
- mr nobody
- avalon
- equilibrium

and lately there was an amazing swedish TV serie called akta manniskor AKA real humans , have you seen it ?

#18 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

ha ha ha , you're obviously a sci-fi fan ;-)

Let me try one last time, have a look a these films :
- moon
- mr nobody
- avalon
- equilibrium

and lately there was an amazing swedish TV serie called akta manniskor AKA real humans , have you seen it ?

:) thanks cobalt!
moon is almost my favorite sci-fi movie! :) and mr.nobody is pretty good one. But hey! i didnt watch avalon and equilibrium!:)
and thanks for tv serie - i was searching last few days for good serie! Thanks!

#19 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yes of course I meant "it's a wonderful a life"... Shame on me ... And your dad is a good Man then :cool:

By the way and sorry to change subject , but you're british right? I'm probably gonna Settle for a year in england in the near future.
I might be looking for a job then !
Are you working in graphic design ? How is IT / graphic design market these days ?

I'm self-employed and at the moment only doing design work although I'm a programmer by trade.

Although the country has been in recession, I don't think the IT, design and marketing industries have been effected too badly. If anything, when times are hard smart companies invest in marketing and new technologies to get ahead. I don't think you'll find a shortage of Jobs but it can be very competitive getting them! If you talk to recruitment agencies in the area you will be settling before you make the move that would help.

Edited by GJR, 29 November 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#20 indreamo

indreamo

• Designer
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

Operhal, great thread!

I'm not the biggest fan of laser&robots sci-fi, but I like space travel movies. Have you seen Sunshine? Love the scene they're so close to Sun, passing Mercury and the on-board computer says 'Ladies & gentlemen - Mercury' and the whole crew gather in front of the screen to see the planet - so powerful&romantic ;) Of course the ending is a little bit spoilt, but i put my like to the movie anyway.

Oh, I found the scene on yt: Mercury Transits The Sun [HD] - YouTube ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users