• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

Ok let me know what you think. Honestly..

Beer logo that will be used as part of the label also.

took a pic I drew a while back like 2004?
I did move the barn over a little to the left while in illustrator to kinda tighten it up some

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

COY! It's amazing!! Reminds me of the illustrations my dad made growing up (except, he transferred his pencil drawings to pen/ink instead of the computer). It was always old broken down cars/trucks and barns. Well, until he switched it up and started drawing outhouses...

back to the point :p I love it. Especially the pencil sketch. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Your shading and detail work on the barn is phenomenal. Just gorgeous. Makes me want to pick up a pencil and sketch pad again!
:) Brandy

#3 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for the complement on the pencil sketch. I use to sell car drawings for around $25 a piece or $35 with some sort of background in them. (yeah I screwed my self on the prices but had no idea what to charge).. This is only one of a very few that made it to the scanner. I've done a few semi's and one wanted a background of an old truck stop with a "distictive" view of the outhouse aside it. Before I shaded it it looked like the truck was going to hit the crapper. LOL..

as far as the logo/lable I thought the white space could be the color of the bottle showing through w/ a clear label. I should make a version with a brown/dark amber color behind it.

#4 Gabber

Gabber

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:09 AM

I like the second option better, but i'm sure if you simplified it even more it would be even better, kinda like that: Letterhead Fonts: Design Gallery

Also i'm not a fan of the font you used, it fits the style... but maybe it needs to be bolder, or centered without the stroke. the kerning is not very tight also especially the "w s"

Needs some tweeks, but i think it has good potencial :)

#5 automaton

automaton

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:56 AM

Very nice I especially like the detail on the truck. But to be honest the oval shape around the truck and barn combined with the alignment of the text seems a bit distracting. I have to agree with Gabber with the font selection, it needs to stand out a bit. Overall it's a very good design.

#6 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:01 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah I was kinda rushing on the text a bit and after looking at it last night I think I may try to square it up and add a solid background to it. I just need to play with it a little more...

#7 websmythe

websmythe

• Designer
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

Like the design. The illustration is rad. The major structure is there, just seems to need some finishing. Hope ya don't mind, I played with it a bit to test out my thoughts.

Maybe just changing to caps would help the font issue. Personally, I find that it's a font style that doesn't lend itself well to mixed case. The letter/word spacing does seem a bit sparse.

The oval is drawing attention away from the other elements in the design. The thick and thin isn't re-enforcing shape of the font or other elements. When I changed it to a single (horizontal) oval (...boring... I know) everything jumped into place and the visual focus shifted to the truck, complimenting it's shape.

When I did a horizontal flip on the truck it seemed to make more sense cause the angle of the truck and the offset lettering became complimentary.

You might wanna think about how the label will be die-cut. What that might add or take away from the design.

Anyways, don't stop. Will be nice to see the final version.

Edited by websmythe, 25 February 2010 - 07:00 PM.

<burgers> So many choices, so little time! </pizza>

#8 williamconklin

williamconklin

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

Illustration is very tight, type unfortunately isn't. I would really like to see the typography polished out, there are some kerning issues in the word "yeast" and I wouldn't recommend using more than 3 periods. I hope these comments help. Best Wishes.

#9 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

Like the design. The illustration is rad. The major structure is there, just seems to need some finishing. Hope ya don't mind, I played with it a bit to test out my thoughts.

Maybe just changing to caps would help the font issue. Personally, I find that it's a font style that doesn't lend itself well to mixed case. The letter/word spacing does seem a bit sparse.

The oval is drawing attention away from the other elements in the design. The thick and thin isn't re-enforcing shape of the font or other elements. When I changed it to a single (horizontal) oval (...boring... I know) everything jumped into place and the visual focus shifted to the truck, complimenting it's shape.

When I did a horizontal flip on the truck it seemed to make more sense cause the angle of the truck and the offset lettering became complimentary.

You might wanna think about how the label will be die-cut. What that might add or take away from the design.

Anyways, don't stop. Will be nice to see the final version.

Yeah I've been playing with alot of the elements. I wasn't really pleased with the oval but it worked better then the circle. I may add some hops or something to it maybe rework the enclosed-ness?? of it. LOL..

Illustration is very tight, type unfortunately isn't. I would really like to see the typography polished out, there are some kerning issues in the word "yeast" and I wouldn't recommend using more than 3 periods. I hope these comments help. Best Wishes.

Yeah the typo sucks ass.. LOL I didn't even mess with the kerning at all really. Like I said earlier I was looking at it last night and thinking to my self Why the heck didn't you spend any time on the text..LOL I think I was just tired and said what the heck. haha

#10 noxieCreative

noxieCreative

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

Hmm.. dont have time for a complete summary most people hit on things i would say. Check your kerning when you have time. Maybe a different font in whole... not sure though.

Maybe a darker brown for the type?
Would like to see it with a regular circle instead of an ellipse frame.
Overall not bad.. came out pretty good i must say. keep with it man.

Btw i got a chilli company im doing a logo for.. i might post that on here we'll see.

#11 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

Hmm.. dont have time for a complete summary most people hit on things i would say. Check your kerning when you have time. Maybe a different font in whole... not sure though.

Maybe a darker brown for the type?
Would like to see it with a regular circle instead of an ellipse frame.
Overall not bad.. came out pretty good i must say. keep with it man.

Btw i got a chilli company im doing a logo for.. i might post that on here we'll see.

I've desided to just draw out my own lettering but will change the name. I'm also going to make it more of a rectangle shape instead of circular.

I say post up the chilli stuff. I'd like to see it.

#12 shefshef019

shefshef019

• Designer
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

Good job! The pencil drawing is very impressive! I like the first logo better, but I agree that the font looks a little "off" on the top line.

Of course, in order to properly critique the final product, we should probably all get a free sample of the beer...:)
Designs by Jenna Sheffler: Professional portfolio
Design Intervention: Freelance graphic and web design
Technicolor Carnival: One-of-a-kind handmade jewelry and gifts

#13 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

Good job! The pencil drawing is very impressive! I like the first logo better, but I agree that the font looks a little "off" on the top line.

Of course, in order to properly critique the final product, we should probably all get a free sample of the beer...:)

LOL I'd love a sample of the beer as well. :D
I do plan on making my own beer but I need to do some reading first. :cool:

#14 shefshef019

shefshef019

• Designer
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:41 PM

@Coy: Me too! I attended a homebrewing class a while ago for free, offered by a local homebrewer's club. You may want to check and see if they offer anything like that in your community.
Designs by Jenna Sheffler: Professional portfolio
Design Intervention: Freelance graphic and web design
Technicolor Carnival: One-of-a-kind handmade jewelry and gifts

#15 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

@Coy: Me too! I attended a homebrewing class a while ago for free, offered by a local homebrewer's club. You may want to check and see if they offer anything like that in your community.

I may have to look into that.. But I have a member here helping me along the way. starting with a book. The new complete homebrewers guide or something like that..great read so far. but I haven't got to read a whole lot of it because of other commitments, like life in general. LOL

Then I found a GREAT forum called homebrewtalk. great site with alot of information and not on just brewing your own beer but mead, wine, rootbear ect..

#16 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

all i can say is I JUST LOVE IT..the fonts ..the colors..everything :)
great work coy

#17 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:27 PM

thank you.

#18 HonkyCat

HonkyCat

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

I really like the sketch and feel the once you "logoized" it took away from it. I think it would look nicer and would convey the concept about the "basics" (basics of ingredients) if you were to just use the drawing with darker contrast, and put your text below it, then a thin line and you tagline. For the "Stuck Truck Brew" I would use an old style cursive font like an athletic style. In other words, more like an old sign. I just think what you are working on takes way from your drawing which is closer to the concept of "basic" And maybe have the truck actually stuck, and maybe a couple of guys sitting on the ground leaned against it enjoying a cold beer, beacuse the beer is so good, they could care less if the truck is stuck..ok, maybe too much feedback. I agree with most other on this obviously about the typeface and oval/circle..but we all like the sketch and over rendering it is taking away from it.

#19 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

great critique HonkyCat..
I'm working(learning) an new technique from jecrt that I'm going to apply too this.

#20 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

Ended up not going with the new technique I posted about above.
But this is what happened w/ the stuck truck.. It had a name change..
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users