• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:53 PM

I wouldn't agree with all of this at all. some yes but not all.

I agree with cclark413, It needs a little work, try to use pre-made shapes, i.e. ovals, squares, etc. instead of hand drawing them with heaven forbid a pencil or pen. The reason being, it is one quicker, two cleaner/crisper, and three easier to use pathfinder (if you are using Illustrator, pathfinder is your friend, I know it's mine!).

In my opinion it depends on what look your going for. If you're only limiting yourself to this "rule" or reason then you are just limiting yourself as a designer.

I also agree with him on the font. While I was in college, my instructors always told me to never create your fonts, always find one that is the closest to what you want to use. Should you need to make a couple changes (like making the G into a handle) it is easier to make the changes to an existing font, and still have the font look like it's a true font. The point was that drawn 'fonts' are not as "professional" in appearance, as an altered actual font. Also they advised me to try to stay away from 'hand-writing' fonts, but that is an opinion i believe, because there are some really well done 'hand-written' fonts, and you can find them at font websites. Just watch the 'rights to use.'

If you have the ability to draw your own text then I say do it and again it depends on the look your going for.
Yes it is true that you can find a font that will look almost like what you want but you can get professional looking text if you take your time and make it right. Not all fonts work and some need alot of work w/ kerning and things like that. sometime I've modified a font to the extent that you couldn't tell what it started out looking like and would of saved my self alot of time if I'd just drawn it in the first place.

NEVER put yourself in a box like this! Yes it's a good idea to make things quicker and easier but sometimes you just can't go with your premade shapes and fonts.

#22 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hello every one..i'm still working on this logo..but this couple days i've big problem with illustrator..so i can't work in it till i figure out the answer..i just have to say that cclark413..WOW u always come up with better version of my work .. i hope i can be as good some day..:) & u are not harsh on my at all..i really respect ur opinion
& kihndesigns..yeah i know that working with pre made shapes & font is always easier..i agree with that..but some times i try to learn things with the hard ways first..it takes more skill & patience to get it right..& i want to have that to be able to make great stuff in the future..maybe i'm still not that sharp yet..but i'm learning :rolleyes:..thanx for sharing ur mentors' advice with us :)

i agree with u coy but that needs alot of talent & also patient :D

anyways this logo is still have alot of work to be done..will upload the current result after i fix illustrator..
***BTW coy is it ok to ask technical questions in DC..where can i but them if so? bcuz my problem needs a REAL pro to help me X(

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#23 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:37 AM

of course you can ask technical questions. I'd ask them in the designer chat area. ;)
Your question might help another person with the same problem.

#24 cclark413

cclark413

• Designer
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

NEVER put yourself in a box like this! Yes it's a good idea to make things quicker and easier but sometimes you just can't go with your premade shapes and fonts.

I couldn't agree more. It's not that you can't do it, I just felt like this project could use some help...

I really want to commend Like An Angel for having an open mind to criticism. This will really take you far in your career. I attribute a lot of my knowledge to listening.

My hopes for my comments are to aid designers in noticing smaller details and enabling them easier and more consistent methods to achieve certain tasks.

#25 libbyelliott

libbyelliott

• Designer
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

I really like the hand-drawn style of this logo! It mimics the organic nature of coffee/food. I would like to offer a few suggestions...

1. I think the steam part of the graphic should be the same style as the cup and the typography. So if those features are hand-drawn keep with that style, and hand-draw the steam.

2. The "opening" of the cup is very heavy. I would create some negative space to break-up that very large flat surface. It will also give your cup a little more dimension.

3. Just something to think about... Cafe is capitalized, but Restaurant isn't. For consistency it might be beneficial to make them both upper and lower, or all lower case.

Great job!

#26 Rockula

Rockula

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:04 AM

When i first opened the thread, and saw the frist logos, i really liked them, but the steam not so much, cause ot was a different style form the cup and the text, but now that the steam is not rough, it looks waaaaay better.
The cup kinda looks uneven, but other than that, i love the colors and the logo itself =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users