I designed an M&M

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 ipsum

ipsum

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:20 AM

I sent my client four logos to consider. This was the one that I liked the least, so naturally they picked it. As I was preparing it in different formats, a little voice in my head said "Hey look Ipsum, you designed an M&M." ...oh no. Well I was not going to add it to my portfolio anyway.

At the time I was thinking about swimming pools and hot tubs.The slab serif M inside a blue circle is just a random design decision. Nevertheless, it started to really bug me, so I whipped up a few more logos, including this sans serif variation, and added the photo of a green M&M to illustrate my concern.

Now I don't think anyone is going to confuse M&M's brand with My Pool Service. The logos are different enough and the client won't get sued over it. Unique branding and ethics are important to me. Not that blue circles are unique or DC designers have ethics, but considering the font, color and letter of the alphabet, all point to aspects that makes up the M&M brand.

The client is considering the san serif version, but really leaning towards the slab. So tell me it does not look like an M&M and I'm over reacting, or should I withdraw the slab serif and only offer the sans serif version? I'm interested in your opinions.

Edited by ipsum, 20 October 2010 - 02:45 AM.
edited photo

#2 darthsheep

darthsheep

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

i think that in every design, all your decisions should be based into something (or so did people teach me), not just 'randomness'. By the way, i liked the sans serif one the most, but i feel its because you have the complete branding with papers and appliance on cards with that logo. would you mind showing applications of the slab serif, so that i can compare?

#3 ipsum

ipsum

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

I agree Darthsheep, I said "random" because I wanted to focus on the question without getting into the process, but here are some of my thoughts behind the design: The circle is a common shape for a back yard swimming pool, hot tub or fountain, and the image helps create a balanced visual pause between My and Pool Market. The bold slab serif font is rectangular in contrast to the circle. The spacing is tight but not squeezed. The type sizes and line thickness reduce nicely to 1.25". Blue is an obvious color choice, but background experimentation was part of the process. There is reason behind every decision. Lets leave pure randomness for the interactive programmers to figure out.

So, when you look at the My Pool Market logo, do you think to yourself "Hey, that looks like an M&M" ?

#4 darthsheep

darthsheep

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

as a matter of fact, i do not. but i'm one person. maybe if you removed the navy blue outline it would seem more m&m-ish. you should wait for more feedback, right?

#5 ipsum

ipsum

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:51 AM

Naturally, the client picked it. Now that some time has passed, I feel more confident that it looks different enough from an M&M. Thanks for your input. Here is a promotional idea for anyone interested: custom printing on M&Ms. MY M&M'S® - Personalized chocolate candies just for you!
Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. —Frank Zappa
Art is lies that tell the truth. —Pablo Picasso

#6 Fabius

Fabius

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:24 AM

your font and graphic choice only very vaguely resembles the M&M's' one, maybe put more accent on the lettering after "my"

#7 Sequoia

Sequoia

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:43 AM

Ah! I think I wouldn´t have thought of M&M until you mentioned it :p
After that, yep, I see the M&M, but just after you said it.

#8 hyginus

hyginus

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

I see "my", not "m&m":) Don't worry, it's different enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users