• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

: ) thought has been there myself (many times)

This is tough and not "unique" to design contest.com

Hard to say why they rate the way they do or like/dislike but it is their contest and we can't tell them how to rate or what to write for feedback. We guide them but in the end it is the ch deciding how to rate and give feedback. I do know some clients only know what they like when they see it.

Like us on facebook

#22 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

Unfortunately, Francois was banned for using stolen internet images - so his complaints are a touch ironic.

I understand this completely, I have experienced things here that are really disturbing to me. And I have refrained from openly stating it. But here goes.

#23 Lovie2000

Lovie2000

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

That's sad and unfortunate......

#24 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

ok so what happened to me today .. After reading this I now know I am not the only one.. Yeah I may upload 30 different variations of what I think is good image from the brief or try to steer away from the other designers who for example would use a power button for some electronic company and everyone follows.. But thats because like mentioned I dont read mind.. Some briefs are one sentence " I need a new logo for my business?.. Yeah ok I can really vision your right image lol....

But .. I think this was the lowest thing ever told to me by a CH.. Stop spamming.. I felt like she said all your work is trash and dont load anymore. Those of you who spend hours on a concept that you were writing or drawing while sitting on the bus ride home or w/e know how this would make you feel. I am not mentioning what contest was this but some of you may know.. My design was different for 2 reasons
1 everyone had the same concept that when I first googled it was the first plain pic that I saw so no one was actually creative in any way but color changes.

2 I try not to follow as much as possible and I am stuck in making to complex designs and it takes me 3x more brain/work to do something simple.. I guess that comes with so many years working in photoshop that the mind is stuck telling the eyes its not done until it looks like a psd file lol .. Still try and still getting it wrong but one day I shall suck seed and hopefully the trend is not out by that time so I can be rewarded with good fortune.

Again thanks for this post and sorry that you got banned but good luck in all your endevors.

Edited by Dskwkrs, 26 August 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#25 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Dskwkrs why be sorry for a designer that is banned for cheating?

Your problem in that contest was entry after entry of the same design.... then the ch asked you to stop with what looked like a symbol that was offensive to her. You were not listening to what the ch was writing in feedback. You would have been fine to enter a couple of variations but why so many, that just ticked off the ch, then you kept ticking her off with your comments. The comments are for the entry not a soap box trying tell the ch what she likes or should like. I received several complaints about this last night. Please remember to be respectful to the client in the comments let the client decide if they want to see variations of the entry and do not try to push the idea/concept onto the client

Edited by sharie, 29 August 2012 - 02:51 AM.

Like us on facebook

#26 Lovie2000

Lovie2000

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

I saw the CH comments and had to see what she/he was talking about, you just happened to post on this thread.

I completely understand the CH and as a designer I understand how everyone feels as well. You are uploading too many designs and making the selecting process harder for the CH... and not to mention you are pushing other designers work out of view to the point that the CH either doesn't see others or is too overwhelmed with all of your entries that they don't even look at others. Now this is just my opinion.

I think you are overworking yourself. Just because you have multiple upload allowance doesn't mean you should use it to overload a particular contest. I think the extra upload allowances you have available to you should be used when the CH loves or likes what you submitted to upload requested REVISIONS.

Now I just saw a contest that I was going to enter it has 57 entries..... and all 57 are yours...... anyone with eyes and a brain would take that as overkill or as the CH stated "spamming" the contest

#27 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Lovie2000 what contest is this that has 57 entries from one designer? This needs to be taken care right now! Absolutely no need for this!

Like us on facebook

#28 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

I was writing on the other thread - unlimited entries are not solution, and not a benefit to top designers or any "level" designer. I was fine with 3, and happy with 7.
If you/we would like to have any kind of benefit for top designers, is like it was before - contests only for elite - in this case only for top designers.
I think this is fair enough.
Also, would add ratings points for those who report copy, clip-art, rule violence or any other inappropriate action, which would contribute to originality, rule awareness, more activity, better standard, etc....

#29 Lovie2000

Lovie2000

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

ColorGlide Fold Over Blister Card - size 6

#30 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

Maybe it is One-on-One:):)

#31 Lovie2000

Lovie2000

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

lol..... yeah... o.k. if you say so.... I didn't even attempt because of all those entries by one person... seems like it was a contest that had just been put up as well.... not sure

#32 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

My comment about one-on-one was sarcastic:).
I think it is recently open. Even I don't like and think so many entries of one designer is senseless and not reasonable, Dskwkrs didn't break any rule regarding that. We can think it is, so called "spamming", but we can not say it is and name it like that.
So, I think DC Admins should consider changing rule for unlimited entries.

#33 Lovie2000

Lovie2000

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

I understood your comment.... lol

the CH called it spamming; I called it overkill

#34 dlbonanno64

dlbonanno64

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

The CH has the perogative to choose which ever design they wish. As someone who is creating something, it is sometimes difficult to match your design to the vision of the CH. With this kind of forum, the CH does not need to explain why he/she chose a particular design. All you can do is produce the best designs you can and leave it to them to choose. There a many factors which drive their choice;age, race, culture, experience, etc. and it is difficult to get a handle on them when you are just doing minimal communication through a computer screen. Francios, hang in there, keep submitting designs and keep honing your skills.

#35 jamesdownunder

jamesdownunder

Contest Holder (P)

• Client
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

Thanks sharie and Lovie2000. As a fledgling CH your comments in this thread have been very useful.

#36 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:49 AM

jamesdownunder

Thank you!

We do not get very many contestholders in the forums. Nice to see you in the forums.

Our main goal is to make the contest as fair as we can and to make sure you the contestholder will receive an original design, not a copy or a design filled with clipart.

Feel free to give us your feedback from a contestholders perspective, Or if you have any questions. We are a growing site and work on new updates all the time to improve the site for you the contestholder and the designers.

Like us on facebook

#37 jamesdownunder

jamesdownunder

Contest Holder (P)

• Client
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hi there and thanks for your reply.

I came across this site a little while back. And have now progressed my preparations to the stage I need to use the services. Like your advertising says, I am interested in receiving varied ideas on a topic/design from various people as opposed to just outsourcing to one company.

The site itself is fairly straight forward, and had I have read all the information first, would have realised some people can't provide a further design unless I give them sufficient scoring (sorry!).

I can't comment too much further as my contest is still ongoing. Just a side comment with respect to some of the comments I have read on the forums here, perhaps it is a lack of experience in dealing in a client facing service industry, or some people have pretty fragile egos. CH's like myself are pretty much doing EVERYTHING in starting up a small business. I myself am not very creative. My intention of using a site like this is to provide the basic framework, and rely, thereafter, on the designers' talents.

I may have an idea in mind, but this doesn't mean it is THE idea to go with the project. I would be more happy, and in my own contest have seen good variation by contributors, to see something original. Something, the designer has looked at what I am trying to do, done research on similar related ecommerce businesses, has a "feel" for lack of a better word, of what would be appropriate for that genre, and show me what they can do.

Perhaps I am overlooking some sort of restriction to multiple entries by designers, and if there is some sort of rating scale that you have to "mature" through, then so be it. But as a CH, we have outsourced the task, and depend upon the designer to come up with the goods. If there is little to guide you in the project outline, then let loose your talents. I can tell you I was pleasantly surprised by a very simple entry.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that the task has been outsrouced. If not enough guidelines to what the CH personally is wanting, do some research on the theme/topic/type of business (I even noticed some very useful logo source links down further in the forum) to get a feel for what would be good, trust in your talents, and go for it.

Apologies if this has come across as a bit high and mighty, not my intention at all. If it does, it may be a result of seeing some comments that come across as quite immature for the industry, and seeming a little too focussed on "winning" the cash.

Naturally I don't speak on behalf of all CH's, nor is this directly in response to anyone currently in my competition now. Just hoping to show there are two sides to every coin :)

#38 Frankie-Soo

Frankie-Soo

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Very good points from the founder.
too many unneeded queries, life goes on, let’s move on, one after another contest, cheers:)

#39 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

Before this gets blown out of proportion...

ColorGlide Fold Over Blister Card - size 6

I have 57 entries because those are all revisons according to the ch requests.. Its a private contest that no one joined til yesterday or so.

So being private you dont see any comments and now you tink I am spamming...

I had written my little note just to let out some steam and let you all hear a experience of mine. I did not put up a post to be mocked or ridiculed in any way by a designer or even an senior admin for that matter. I feel that others are breaking many rules but I am the only one who getting all the infractions. Which at this point I dont even bother to argue about and is just sticking to designing my next concept.

I thought this was a place of nourishment, honestly I dont see any of that in many comment here.

P.S If you look at all the overkilled designs that I have entered in the pinwheel contest they ALL were different just most of them the text was the same. I goal in any contest is to give CH the most options that are available to them. Not all CH are designers and or even know a touch of designs or to further extent color combinations. Like I did mention in another post that here you dont do the normal things that you do in brand creation. You dont have 6 months to 2 years to bring that concept to life. Many times you do not have the CH even say a peep of what he/ she liked. Again another thing mentioned in a few contest.. " Thank you for your various uploads. It has help me get a clearer vision of what I want in my brand" // One even went to the point of saying" Others should take notice." I may have or may not have won the contest but thats not why I am here. I am here to design whatever I feel like designing for who I feel like designing for. In part of me designing helping the CH get a broader vision of what is capable in the digital world so that they can get the most bang for their buck sort to speak.

So I cant please everyone but I am sure now that I am only pleasing those who want to be pleased.

#40 JvZ

JvZ

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

After reading all the posts .. . I guess .. . the bottomline is .. . A rule should be implemented regarding those issues.. . for the fairness/transparency that I think all of us desires in connection to DC.. .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users