Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

DC Flash Header Design Contest. Deadline September 1st, 2008.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#21 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:14 AM

you don't have to win, the most important thing is to learn something new and have fun in the process :)

I agree!

#22 adammonk

adammonk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

Too right, I had fun making this and have learnt some new stuff which is always good.

DC Header

A little bit of tweaking might still be done, but nothing too dramatic that would change the look of it.

#23 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

Not bad! Really creative animation. But you could easily done it just with flash. Graphics, interactivity, eventual swf size, all would be alot better. My opinion :)
"Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer."

#24 adammonk

adammonk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:48 PM

I agree. I've discovered from this that you really do not want to be messing around with importing movies etc. For starters, the quality decreases and secondly it increases file size. Mine isn't too large, at 128kb but I can definately see the difference between the original and the finished article.

I chose to create the paint splatters in After Effects because of the flexibility and control I had over them. I would have found it too hard to make them in Flash :D

It has opened my mind up a bit now though about the possibilities in Flash, and I've got an idea for the next one already, which I shall start soon. :D It has been fun though. :)

#25 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

Great job, adammonk!

#26 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:57 AM

This is not an update, it's just a different version, the change is that the background very slowly changes colors. It's not very practical coz the size rises up to 140 Kb !

DC Header 3.5

#27 adammonk

adammonk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

How did you make the 3D Logo animate? Did you first make it in a 3D app, then trace over each frame?

#28 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:35 AM

Pretty much :)

#29 xorMedia

xorMedia

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:18 PM

Hi to all,

near the deadline i've made my 4th header for DC, i hope you like it :)

DC-Header-4
“How to succeed? Try hard enough.”
Malcolm Forbes 1919-1990

#30 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about :)

#31 adammonk

adammonk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

Very nice! Good smooth transitions.

• Guests

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

finally we have some competition! :)

xorMedia, good work however I have two comments - the buttons don't work till the color changes completely. I mean if you click blue, for instance orange won't work till the top part is completely blue. I think it would be more fun if the buttons worked at all times. Second I think the top part is a little bit empty. It looks good, but something could be done to make it even better :)

Designed by is at the left, well, it's not where it was planned to be, but it's not a huge problem. However I am not sure that it is integrated perfectly. Maybe you could make this button full height of the header?

#33 xorMedia

xorMedia

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:17 PM

finally we have some competition! :)

xorMedia, good work however I have two comments - the buttons don't work till the color changes completely. I mean if you click blue, for instance orange won't work till the top part is completely blue. I think it would be more fun if the buttons worked at all times. Second I think the top part is a little bit empty. It looks good, but something could be done to make it even better :)

Designed by is at the left, well, it's not where it was planned to be, but it's not a huge problem. However I am not sure that it is integrated perfectly. Maybe you could make this button full height of the header?

Here is the modified version of my header, what i've changed you can read above ;)

DC-Header-4.1
Malcolm Forbes 1919-1990

#34 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

Buttons are kinda shaking, can you do something about that?

#35 xorMedia

xorMedia

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

Buttons are kinda shaking, can you do something about that?

I'm workin on it, but i heaven't solved the problem yet :)
Malcolm Forbes 1919-1990

#36 adammonk

adammonk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 06:49 PM

The only aspect I'm not so keen on is the Join Now button. I feel it should be a slick animation to fit within the overall look of the header.

• Guests

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

The only aspect I'm not so keen on is the Join Now button. I feel it should be a slick animation to fit within the overall look of the header.

I just wanted to mention that too.

#38 KHDZN

KHDZN

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:03 AM

Still working on my DC Header -- this is my first project in Flash so I know it needs work and I won't submit this as an entry for this month's contest. I would like your thoughts though.

• I'm having trouble creating the Register Today link; I keep getting an error.
  • I would like the animation to wait several seconds before it starts playing again but it starts automatically.
  • I will animate the orange crayon as well -- drawing the swoosh -- but I want to solve my other issues first.
  • I need to work on the speed of the crayon -- too slow in some spots and too fast in others.

DC Header V1

Thanks for your feedback! :)

#39 Maxson

Maxson

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:16 AM

[*]I would like the animation to wait several seconds before it starts playing again but it starts automatically.

Just add an additional timeline, in the end.

There are TONS of way's to make it a link. Easiest (no AS required): you can write some text(or a big letter) on top of the animation, put an URL in a field below(properties) then make it in to a movieclip (F8) and add a alfa"0" (properties)

#40 xorMedia

xorMedia

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

[*]I'm having trouble creating the Register Today link; I keep getting an error.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

I would prefer AS, just select the movieclip and go to the actions and write something like:

on (release) {
getURL("http://www.designcontest.com");
}

Malcolm Forbes 1919-1990

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users