• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

Doing this for a friend of mine that has a body shop. When I first spoke to him he was working on a 1940's pickup and said he wanted a "badge" similar to what was on the front fenders. He also stated he wanted flames, maybe a star kinda hit on a few different things. So the first round was 4 compleately different looks then narrowed it down (to the first one here) and wanted to see it in different color set ups.
Then after speaking with him again stated he might like to see something with a kinda wing look similar to another car manufacture and wants a Script font (the script he likes is an LHF font that I can't get at the moment so I just redrew it).

any way look at them and let me know what you think and how I can improve it.
thanks and appreciate any/all comments.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

OH and he insisted on having the '&' sign under his name.. I liked it better without but it is his logo, so...

#3 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:10 AM

Um I like em the only thing though specialy on the 2nd set words are WAY to hard to read

#4 ejh

ejh

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

It looks good, Larrys in the chromed and flat kind of blend in with the background. Also there are two different spelling Larrys & Larry's. Overall good

#5 LoShu

LoShu

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

Like the orange/blue colors in the first version. Readibility is a bit of a problem. Perhaps darker chrome and white letters?

#6 gdeetan

gdeetan

• Designer
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

The chrome is nice, try to play with the colors to make the letters "pop". Had a hard time reading the text right now inside the circle.

#7 Dongerz

Dongerz

• Designer
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

Doing this for a friend of mine that has a body shop. When I first spoke to him he was working on a 1940's pickup and said he wanted a "badge" similar to what was on the front fenders. He also stated he wanted flames, maybe a star kinda hit on a few different things. So the first round was 4 compleately different looks then narrowed it down (to the first one here) and wanted to see it in different color set ups.
Then after speaking with him again stated he might like to see something with a kinda wing look similar to another car manufacture and wants a Script font (the script he likes is an LHF font that I can't get at the moment so I just redrew it).

any way look at them and let me know what you think and how I can improve it.
thanks and appreciate any/all comments.
Posted Image

Posted Image

A tip for chrome in vector images. Go with a second layer of gradient to give the design more depth. Also adding two more layers of the text offset inversely, one in blk and one white, will give it a beveled effect and help define the text against the chrome effect. Also if you're doing a simple gradient for the chrome effect I suggest you don't go 100% black at any point unless you have an artificial horizon reflection. The black tend to distract from the text in the foreground.

In the winged version, I would bump up the size of the oval and text to make it more readable at smaller sizes. Also don't be afraid to break the text out of the oval a bit. Try a color fill with a nice thick outline for the Larry's.

Hope this helps.

#8 awhipl

awhipl

• Designer
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

I like the logo but the name is hard to read with some of the color setups.

#9 Guest_Gerhard Schlee_*

Guest_Gerhard Schlee_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

The second version looks like the Mini Cooper logo http://www.privatefl...i/mini-logo.jpg

I like the first option better, flat version ;) (by the way, I would try on the logo that font you used for writing "flat", it's really cool. What font is that?)

#10 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the all the help everyone.
Gerhard Schlee that font is called american dreams I believe.

I'm sure you have worked with a "difficult" client before.. Well this is one of them.

I shouldn't say difficult. He just wants a look and doesn't really know exactly what.. He's been really appreciative of my work so far.

We've changed gears and tweeked continuously. This started out as a simple something for a friend and has become a huge project. I won't him to get what he wants but at this point I've spent at least many hours on different looks. so this week I started over and will get approvales for each step as I go.. but I think we are in the final streatch.
The problem is he keeps seeing parts of logos that he likes and we try it then he doesn't like it on his and so on.
Well enough rambling from me. I appreciate the input.
will post the pics in a sec of other revisions..

Edited by Coy, 27 February 2009 - 07:05 PM.

#11 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

OK so after a few variations.
He said he wanted the bars seperate, flames and a flag.
Posted Image

And then wanted to see it with an American Flag.
Posted Image

I was messing around with an idea and tossed this out there.
Posted Image

Then he wanted the bars to look like they were coming to a point kinda.
did this and showed what it looked like with yellow lettering, cause it just pops more then the colors he wants.
Posted Image

Now he wantes the bars to be just touching each other and wasn't sure if he wanted them "feathered" at the ends or "straight".. So I sent him this.
and asked him to choose wich one to go forward with.
Posted Image

#12 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:06 PM

This is where I'm at now. Still have a bit to do. And he wants to see a version with the script lettering and one with a more blocked type.
Posted Image

well added to it. Possibly finished.. so what'da ya think?
I still need to do one in a more blocked letter font.

Posted Image

Edited by Coy, 27 February 2009 - 09:50 PM.

#13 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

another update. LOL
He likes it but now wants to try some other fonts out and a couple other ideas.
He keeps looking through car/truck magazines and wants to try this and that.

Anyway. let me know what you think of this with the flags and fire added.

What would you change or take away?

This is the one with the script type lettering.
Posted Image

and this is trying a different font and a small change he wanted to see what it looked like.

Posted Image

#14 neambe

neambe

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:56 PM

Man that last one is the lick! A process, but I think you've got it, he should be pleased. It's always so hard working with friends.
NEAMBE'

#15 Gx3 Grafix

Gx3 Grafix

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:20 AM

That's great, love the flames & flags! In the last update I like the fist one better. I think the shine on the smaller text makes it a little more difficult to read as a small print. I think your font and placement are perfect though. You have room to go a little bigger on the outside text but I think it looks better blue, your first colors are more aesthetic and professional looking. Nice work. It's neat to see how it's transformed. Keep up the good work.

#16 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:29 AM

appreciate the comments.
He's now wanting to capture the look of what automotive painters call "quick stroke" lettering (instead of the script). which is similar to the font on the second one.

I however am not liking the bar but he wants me to play with it.. any suggestions? color, different placement etc.?

He's also liking the block letters in black. which on the next version I'll do in the blue color. and a version with the font w/ out the bar.

for print/shirts/hats, I'll loos all the glossy look and gradiants. But this is first going to be used on his upcoming website.

I'll probably have another update tomorrow. LOL

#17 Gx3 Grafix

Gx3 Grafix

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:54 AM

The bar could actually be pretty cool. What do about think about a fire color gradient for the bar using the same colors from the flames?

quick & dirty visual -
Posted Image

Edited by Gx3 Grafix, 04 March 2009 - 02:40 AM.

#18 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

thanks for the comment gx3 that is something I wanted to try at first but he wanted the chrome look first..?

So here are some variations
All togeather.
Posted Image

Just the different bar looks.
Posted Image

and without the bars. I set up the lettering two different way with slight variations. I personally like the top left one w/out the bar.
Posted Image

#19 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

Now I need to start thinking about a nice background that will make it POP on a website.
I'm kinda wanting to make a background that looks kinda like and old school paint job.
1st thoughts were white with light grey(silver) racing type strips down the middle, then I was thinking silver with light blue "goast flames" that matched the newer tribal type flames he likes. maybe some sort of old school pin striping look.
I know I want to keept he back ground fairly light colored and not real busy as I think the darker color will kinda swallow up the photo's and logo. plus text on a light background is easier to read then a dark..
wow look at me ramble on. sorry. stopping now.

#20 Gx3 Grafix

Gx3 Grafix

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

personally I think the chrome is too much of one thing. I love the yellow and the gradient or without the bar at all. Also, to me racing stripes are over done when you look around at those types of sites, I like your other ideas. Can't wait to see what comes next, you've got the right idea about making the background simple and light so it doesn't take away from the logo because that is a great piece of art!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users