Sauce Label...

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 .:FMD

.:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

I have been running into a little bit of a problem.

My friend came up to me and asked me to design a label for this sauce called "Cinnamon Bay." The current design if you google "cinnamon bay sauces" is not very strong. The label is all black with a thin scripty font and an image of a sunset on the beach or bay.

Now I have done my research and cinnamon bay is a ritzy bay in the US virgin Islands. I have been trying to come up with a good design that when you look at it you will go "oh yeah thats definitely cinnamon bay."

My current choice of imagery are nautical elements, island instruments, island fruits used in the sauces, and of course palm trees. Attached is one of my styles for the labels. If I could get opinions and possibly maybe some insite/ideas would be great.

Thanks!

#2 rileyleigh08

rileyleigh08

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

I really like this! The lime colour lends a subtle hint toward the "nautical" feel without making it cheesy or overbearing.

The description of the marinade (A blend of key lime...papaya) is a little light right on top of the white design behind it, but other than that, good job!
Cortney
RileyLeighDesigns:p

#3 .:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:34 AM

I really like this! The lime colour lends a subtle hint toward the "nautical" feel without making it cheesy or overbearing.

The description of the marinade (A blend of key lime...papaya) is a little light right on top of the white design behind it, but other than that, good job!

Thank you for the comments!

I agree about the white text ontop of the white gradient...i wonder if putting a very subtle drop shadow would make the letters pop out more :confused:

#4 rileyleigh08

rileyleigh08

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:28 AM

That may just work. I wonder also about adding an outline to the text. Perhaps that would look too out of place, though, I'm not sure. I hope you find something that works, and again, good work! =D

Edited by rileyleigh08, 16 March 2009 - 04:29 AM.
mispelled word

Cortney

#5 .:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:42 AM

Heres one I just came up with today... Oh and if you are wondering why i havent changed the label...its because they can't do any die cuts. Im really not sure if I like the orange either...I am going to keep playing with it.

Edited by .:FMD, 16 March 2009 - 04:46 AM.

#6 rileyleigh08

rileyleigh08

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:50 AM

I kind of dig the orange. It's intriguing ...
Cortney

#7 jtwant

jtwant

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

FMD:

While it's good to know about the product and its manufacturer, the end user will probably have absolutely no concern about anything beyond how the sauce tastes. But, before they taste it, they need to notice it on the shelf! You should focus your energy on creating a recognizable, memorable design, which is something you expressed as a goal for this project.

I love the idea of color coding the label with the main flavor in each sauce. The orange label kinda throws a wrench in that system, though I do like the rest of that design. The first green label you made was a little too simple and the shade of lime-green a bit too neon-ish (at least on my monitor). Try toning it down then balancing the light green with some darker green.

Before you continue with this design, think about this....

You're not just designing a product label here, this is a very important part of your company's brand image. What the consumer sees on this label will affect how they perceive the sauce! One important piece of the brand puzzle is consistency. People need to immediately recognize your product. The labels needs to have a consistent look so that each time the consumer sees it, regardless of the flavor they choose, they know what brand they are buying. The center piece of the orange label might be a good place to start. Also, be sure you're using the same font for the company name.

Think of Starbucks or Coca-Cola. How often do you actually read the company names on those logos? Even though Coke's logo/imaging consists of nothing more than some swhirly text set on a bright red background, it's known throughout the world. Why? Your brain instantly recognizes it. The image looks the same, every time. It's unmistakable.

Next time you're at the grocery store take a look at the brands you recognize. What elements do their labels have? What was the first thing your eye went to when you looked at the packaging?

Hope this is food for thought, good luck!

Edited by jtwant, 16 March 2009 - 02:19 PM.

#8 .:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:27 PM

FMD:

While it's good to know about the product and its manufacturer, the end user will probably have absolutely no concern about anything beyond how the sauce tastes. But, before they taste it, they need to notice it on the shelf! You should focus your energy on creating a recognizable, memorable design, which is something you expressed as a goal for this project.

I love the idea of color coding the label with the main flavor in each sauce. The orange label kinda throws a wrench in that system, though I do like the rest of that design. The first green label you made was a little too simple and the shade of lime-green a bit too neon-ish (at least on my monitor). Try toning it down then balancing the light green with some darker green.

Before you continue with this design, think about this....

You're not just designing a product label here, this is a very important part of your company's brand image. What the consumer sees on this label will affect how they perceive the sauce! One important piece of the brand puzzle is consistency. People need to immediately recognize your product. The labels needs to have a consistent look so that each time the consumer sees it, regardless of the flavor they choose, they know what brand they are buying. The center piece of the orange label might be a good place to start. Also, be sure you're using the same font for the company name.

Think of Starbucks or Coca-Cola. How often do you actually read the company names on those logos? Even though Coke's logo/imaging consists of nothing more than some swhirly text set on a bright red background, it's known throughout the world. Why? Your brain instantly recognizes it. The image looks the same, every time. It's unmistakable.

Next time you're at the grocery store take a look at the brands you recognize. What elements do their labels have? What was the first thing your eye went to when you looked at the packaging?

Hope this is food for thought, good luck!

Great thoughts!

I just spoke with my buddy this morning, he likes the collage in the center, but said the typography was a little to "empty." I have been looking for the right font. I was even thinking of just hand drawing it to mimic the island hand drawn signs you see when you visit them such as these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 jtwant

jtwant

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

I like that idea, give it a shot!

#10 blackbelt135

blackbelt135

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

I like that idea, give it a shot!

x2

So far so good. They look great!

#11 .:FMD

• Designer
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:30 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I will have a new version up shortly!

#12 Dongerz

Dongerz

• Designer
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:31 PM

I completely agree with what jtwant said. Just wanted to add that when you are designing a product label you have take a look at the competitions labels on the shelf and envision what will make the consumers eye take notice of your product. I think you will have an easier time choosing the base color of your label. Which brings me to my suggestion of having all the different sauces having the same base color for the labels. Picture the 3 or 4 diferent kinds of sauce on the shelf. I think having all the sauces with the same base color will create a block of color on the shelf that is more likely to be noticed that an array of different colors. Make sense? Then you can vary the accent colors of the different flavors to differentiate them.

On the design itself, I do like the collage of fruits but I would work on the arrangement so the that the eye is lead into the design. The bare spot bottom center of the circle is distracting. I'd think about putting the lime up front there since it's the main ingredient and then zig zag the rest from there so that you're kinda drawn into the piece. The font really needs help as mentioned. I like the idea of putting the Cinnamon Bay on a piece of driftwood like the signs you showed pretty big above the circle. I would also break the palms out of the circle for more visual interest.

Anyway, I think you have a great start and I hope these comments help the process. I am currently up for voting into the design team. If you think my reply was helpful please go to http://www.designcon...your-votes.html to vote. Thanks for taking the time

Edited by Dongerz, 24 March 2009 - 02:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users