Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

A designer copied my style in a logo contest. What do you think aboute this?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Brendox

Brendox

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

I participated at this contest:

http://www.designcon...ormance-tuning/

...and I was the first one from all designers who made this style: entry #224 or entry #249. "the style is that glossy lighted edge at the letters"
Now I just saw that another designer used my graphic style in his designs: entry #301, #299, #290.
I think it's not fair at all especially when a designer it's doing this in the same contest, I was the FIRST one in this contest who applied this style and after my design was highest rated.. that designer "Jera" copied my style exactly how I did it (that glossy edge on letters).. This is not originality at all.. where is his creativity? I think he only did this of his thirst for money/prize.. I asked DC team if they can do something aboute this.. waiting for their response. So how you, designers will feel if this happens to you?

#2 ardianet

ardianet

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hi vprstudio,
I guess that was risk from participating in an open contest (Not Blind Contest).

I've been on other contest forum too, and when I submitted my design concept, CH liked it & want a revision, suddenly, the next designs submitted were using my concept... its like giving a clue to others.... ;)

Still, I think copied other designer style is not a good attitude..
hope DC could resolve it as soon as possible..

#3 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

vprstudio

I need you to report the design you feel has copied, this way we have a record and also this gives all of the admins a chance to review the issue And when I say report I don't mean send a help ticket, just click the report button on the entry https://www.designco...pt-what-do-i-do

Thank you

Like us on facebook

#4 Brendox

Brendox

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Sharie I just reported his designs, thank you for telling me to do that!

#5 Rocky30

Rocky30

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

This shouldn't happen but unfortunately it happens. And you're working for hours in a design that ends up liking it and automatically take note and see how other designers "copied" your idea. It's awful! I had a similar case in a contest but it was determined that he hadn't copied though I thought so. Anyway at the end who decides is the CH and we have to trust their judgment. I'm sorry that happened to you

#6 vlada

vlada

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Contest that VPR is talking about is great example of copying ideas from start to finis. I participated on that contest 2.My work was only one with negative space letter solution till end of the competition witch closed over night, when the other designer used the same idea and to be matter worst he used reversed Adobe logo letter A, but he wasnt the only one.I did not reported design because i dont see the point as this happens all the time , i would really like to now DCs opinion about this contest particularly.Same thing happened today on the other contest
and i am thinking of reporting this as much as i dont like to do that . It becomes frustrating.

#7 Olive

Olive

• Designer
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

I really don't see any reason not to report a design if you have reasonable suspicion that it broke the rules, even if it's not copying your design, even if you're not in that contest. If we tolerate some things, we encourage them and create an environment for them to thrive. And that's exactly what is going on right now - some designers do it ALL THE TIME. They just wait until the end and then make a compilation out of leading designs. Some do it in a obvious way, some are more clever, but it's all the same ting. There is very much the point in reporting since DC will deal with it immediately and I trust DC judgement completely. I have only positive experiences with solving issues at DC. But we all need to communicate our problems through correct channels if we want fast and efficient solution.

#8 vlada

vlada

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

That means that you should spend your time reporting designs while they popping out one after one like crazy at the end of contest,instead of improving your work.

#9 krsbelle

krsbelle

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

I agree that it's frustrating to spend hours working on a design only to have the concept copied and improved on as per the CH comments. It is wrong and those designers need to be reported to stop this from happening.

#10 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

I believe that contest such as this (HIGH RISK CONTEST), where first entries are coming to look the same (not always intentionally/copy) by the concept, someone should react and ask DC or CH to change it to blind.

#11 Redsoul

Redsoul

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

yes,it happens to me too...a newbie who just participating in an open logo contest,which is in the brief the CH doesn't mention the idea i brought in,and when i get high rating by CH suddenly few the others following my idea...proudly im just a level 1 designer who's idea get followed by a couple of the higher level designer..hahahaha....is that still count creative in here?

#12 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

it is 200% frustration to observe the developing of some contests and just like Olive says there should not be any problem in "alerting" DC.

it is worthy also to say that some designers recicle concept and design of others designers from previous contests.

at this moment, there is one contest where it is happening this; a designer is using a bottle design made by another designer for a diferent contest.

Logo for Trustripes Mobile App and Web

#13 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

here is the thing we have no way to know who created what first in different contests........how are we suppose to know this? If this is same contest then we have a way to check but when you say this happens with designs in different contests how do know who created what first?

Like us on facebook

#14 Redsoul

Redsoul

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

i agree with sharie,..its a dilemma for us designer and contest holder
because there is a thin line between inspiration and copying..:)

#15 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:16 AM

When a designer has obviously copied/taken a design in whole or part from another designer I ban that designer just as I did a little bit ago about the above mentioned bottle copy situation. We will not tolerate this, It boils me up when I see this, I competition can be tuff but to resort to this outright stealing from another designer is so wrong in many ways, it is serious so be warned if you are caught stealing from another designer you will no longer be a designer here at designcontest.com

What is so very frustrating is the designer that skates on that "thin" line meaning it looks to be similar but not enough to be an exact copy, the lines are blurry with this but....... when designers do this , they almost always mess up and become too close and then it becomes stealing so if you do this watch out you will be caught

Another thing we have designers that report a design as a copy that really is not a copy, what I mean is certain elements are going to be used in contests with specific guidelines, there is no getting around this. You can only make specific elements look a few different ways. When we have very active contestholder with VERY specific details and requirements all the entries are going to have some similar features.

Like us on facebook

#16 ideasstudio

ideasstudio

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

When a designer has obviously copied/taken a design in whole or part from another designer I ban that designer just as I did a little bit ago about the above mentioned bottle copy situation. We will not tolerate this, It boils me up when I see this, I competition can be tuff but to resort to this outright stealing from another designer is so wrong in many ways, it is serious so be warned if you are caught stealing from another designer you will no longer be a designer here at designcontest.com

What is so very frustrating is the designer that skates on that "thin" line meaning it looks to be similar but not enough to be an exact copy, the lines are blurry with this but....... when designers do this , they almost always mess up and become too close and then it becomes stealing so if you do this watch out you will be caught

Another thing we have designers that report a design as a copy that really is not a copy, what I mean is certain elements are going to be used in contests with specific guidelines, there is no getting around this. You can only make specific elements look a few different ways. When we have very active contestholder with VERY specific details and requirements all the entries are going to have some similar features.

I agreed with Sharie, i always avoid to have the same design like others but if contestholder have VERY specific details and requirements all the entries are going to have some similar features. i also experience in very moment when i submited my design, only know that that's already a design similar like my design, i'll feel bad but it's too late to know.

#17 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:07 AM

If you find that your entry is too much like another designers entry you can

1. come to live chat (if on line)
2. send in a help ticket
3. start a thread in chat with mods

ask us to remove the entry and we will take care of it as soon as we can. Be sure to always include the contest link and entry number you need removed

There will always be this type of thing happen in contests and these issues are not deliberate. It is the deliberate copycats that will be caught because they almost always screw up to the point of it being to "obvious" of a copy

Like us on facebook

#18 ideasstudio

ideasstudio

• Designer
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, Sharie

#19 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.

— Pablo Picasso

#20 gantaisan

gantaisan

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:58 AM

i really dont like it when other designers are using my concept... :-( is there another way to make the contest more fair? besides from making it a blind contest?

Edited by gantaisan, 12 August 2012 - 03:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users