• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 LukePettett

LukePettett

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

The caption for this forum says:

"It's best to create all your graphics yourself, but sometimes you just can't avoid using clipart."

Is this statement implying that it is not against the rules to use Clipart (and/or Stock Photos, Stock Designs) in non-logo designs on DesignContest.com?

• Guests

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

if the license of the clipart allows you to use it in commercial products/resell it as a part of your web design project to a client then yes, you can use clipart in web design projects for example.
It wouldn't make sense to redraw twitter icon for each website that you create :)

But we strictly forbid any use of clipart in logo design contests whether or not the license allows it. Logos must be entirely created by yourself.

#3 JvZ

JvZ

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the info .. .

#4 NakamuraToki

NakamuraToki

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

as long as you modify it entirely to create something completely different

#5 PeachyKeenWeb

PeachyKeenWeb

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

and remember that clipart extends to font characters as well

#6 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Resurepus, remind me what is with the photo/image tracing?

#7 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

you have to own the photo you use, bot just the rights but the actual photographer of the photo you plan to use as a ref when tracing for a logo.

Like us on facebook

#8 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Why would Designers rush in through hundreds of pages of "designs" and just hunt for copies?

It is absurd ... spending the time searching for the use of it ... even in the "blind" contests ... the Contest Holder will be the first and the only one to blindness ...

#9 alyciaengel

alyciaengel

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:43 AM

I wouldn't want to use clipart in my designs. I prefer my designs to be my own.

#10 Arafa

Arafa

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:05 AM

In my designer work i make a looot of vectors and i like to save all for ...i dont know, the future work, but always make new, im think in share some of my vector draws in something like a comunity... here we have something like this would be nice !...

#11 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:34 AM

arafa I like your idea let me talk with the other site admins about some sort of file share type forum.

Like us on facebook

#12 Arafa

Arafa

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

it could be interesting !

#13 Lovie2000

Lovie2000

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Just for clarification, following a "how to draw" something is considered as using clip-art ?

I thought using clip-art was considered as downloading "clip-art" drawn by someone else from clip-art sites, etc. and re-uploading it.

#14 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

clipart can be considered any art you find and use in your on creations, art you didn't create yourself. this might help a little Clip art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

those tutorials are not clipart per 'se but if used in a logo it is still considered art you didn't create yourself.

ALL logo contests are required to have 100% your own original art . Do not use little bits of art of someone else's or parts of tutorials or those free downloads and it doesn't matter if you have purchased those logo makers or 500,000 cliparts cd type programs. If you didn't create the art it is not yours to sell. The contestholder is paying for original art, art that they can copyright and trademark.
  • timtan.3311 likes this

Like us on facebook

#15 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

Sharie,
when you are on Live Chat we have an example of a Clipart that very recently won a contest.

#16 DesktopDesigns

DesktopDesigns

Banned

• Banned
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:58 AM

Clip arts NEVER

#17 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hmmm... Sorry, I do not get it... recently we had this:
Yallingup Malibu Classic
Sharie, please explain us how this happen? I guess you had a discussion over it... I don't care much what CH said about it, I care what DC team said about it and what actions did you take... if there were any.

#18 DesktopDesigns

DesktopDesigns

Banned

• Banned
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

I have used a character from a wallpaper to design the Logo for Yallingup Malibu Classic and got Infraction, I don't know why? But I can say most of the designer (specially top 20) always use clip arts but it never mind. I think the role of DC is doubt full for new designers and old designers.

No body can see a person with fast working and fast increment of the level. I have read all the terms and condition but How DC provide Infraction Point, it never defined. So this is really partial.

#19 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

DD, the thing is you can not use any element, but your own, your own creation or idea.
I can't agree with "most of designers" are using clip-art. Check for example top designers like JJYepez, Morabira, R. Renato, Eximius, and many others in our community.
Beside of breaking the rule and playing with intellectual rights, clip-art is cheap! Clip-art is not (or rarely) used in logo design. Clip-art is making graphic designers profession underestimated - graphic design is not a factory, it is not industrial thing like many commercial graphic-photo stock sites are representing... it should be sophisticated and valuable mind and skill creative game as it actually is, no matter how good or bad we are.

Like I wrote on some other thread - it is not every day we are seeing for example mammoth, elephant, Liberty statue, London skyline, wind surfer, etc... of course we will take a look at the photos or other images, and then process and bring it on our own.
  • arsOrum likes this

#20 StudioStevens

StudioStevens

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:56 AM

I don't understand why you would use clip art anyway! Laziness? We are designers, and it's super easy to create your own images if you have the skill. I'd much rather trace an image of a real bird and scan it in, rather than steal clip art from someone else. I understand using a twitter or facebook icon for web purposes I guess because it's not your logo to recreate, but other than social media icons, I don't think it's fair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users