• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

I think this may help in elimination on last minute last hour last day entires.
These guys sit back and watch all the action and make someone else do all the work.
Then on the last day hour minute they will submit their entry with all the revisions that everyone else had done and win the contest.

They are not here to design they are here for the money. So it seems
Make it so that your are not allowed to enter any contest on the last day. Close it to all new designers and let the ones who worked hard for the award get what is deserved.

What are your thoughts?

#2 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

Well I think that is just luck if the win. Because at the end of the contest they still have to have a original design and if they don't the that is when you report them for copying ur idea.

#3 DexMind176

DexMind176

Banned

• Banned
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Well I think that is just luck if the win. Because at the end of the contest they still have to have a original design and if they don't the that is when you report them for copying ur idea.

Absolutely Correct, I agree with you -Squewheet

#4 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

1) How easy is it to copy a design from these pages and use live trace to get all the paths.
2) How are you supposed to know if the copy cat has the original or not if as explained as above.
3) How are you supposed to report them when the contest is closed to the rest of us but the winner and CH.
4) How does the Ch know if its an original file or not?

I really think you all read this all wrong... And I cannot agree with anything you said squeet for I dont understand it. It has no relations to what I am expressing

#5 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.

— Orson Welles

#6 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

It would be fer for those designers who worked hard, but from the CH's point of view, he/she wants the best. So, maybe the last one is the best.:)
Still, I guess it would be reasonable to limit last day entries - 1 day wouldn't harm anyone...
BTW, I haven't seen much contests ended with vultures.

#7 WJK

WJK

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Could the CH be used to moderate that sort of thing? Allow designers to report plagiarism to the CH, who can then adjudicate and eliminate the copied design.

I've had designs stolen just as much on sites where the contest goes into lockdown for the last few days - it makes very little difference.

#8 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

As much as we want the Ch to be involved in his own brand that we are designing.. It would not be good is we were to ask the CH to regulate for every contest. Some do understand that and I see it many times than often that the Ch says " That concept is close to another designers or more often pls be original." But for the rest of the general Ch's it may draw them away from the site if they need to be doing any extra work than needed. That is pretty much why they come to a site like this so they dont have to deal with those issues.
I even see many asking the contest holders to make the contest blind which I find disrespectful at times. " I have a concept pls make blind so I can show you".. or something to that matter.

Babba,
I see many here but they are now starting to diminish for some reason idk. They do pop up from time to time but not as often. It maybe because if they are spotted they are reported again idk.. lol

I just feel that those who had worked hard for the CH should be the one who gets the prize not the ones who sit back and tweak the design to what the ch wants and then uploads on the last hour.

#9 jack4047

jack4047

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

tht would definitely b unfair 2 the CH coz they have paid 4 the contest n they seek originality, if either 1st or last entry wins means da designer adhered 2 da CH recommendations n delivered a superb entry, should we crucify a designer 4 tht? it's definitely a big No

#10 rown

rown

• Designer
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

someone's can wait just till end of a contest to not be copied by the others. So we simply can not do such limitations. I think there should be way (if you are in contest) to ask CH for a private revisions or something, just when you think that others desings are closer and closer to yours:)

#11 jmarcus

jmarcus

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

I agree that this is a problem. I don't know what the solution is, but I think that Contest Design has some responsibility to BOTH their DESIGNER as well as to their CLIENTS in order to make this a positive experience and to ensure that there are no hard feelings. I hope that they take this responsibility seriously and address this issue soon.

#12 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

well a competition is a competition, so there are only three secrets is almost like a war (this is an analogy)
1 - studies the "enemy" (other designers)
2 - give the people what they want (contest holders)
3 - be original
is a matter of following the rules
do not you agree?

#13 polyesterdress

polyesterdress

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

I think the perfect solution would be to make all contests blind. In my opinion, there is no good reason for designers to see the designs of their peers. I would always try my best to avoid seeing submissions to a contest I was working on, to prevent my vision from being tainted, and later to find that mine was very much similar (coincidentally) to an earlier submission. There's no way to prove I wasn't copying (not that it was accused...)
I've also had the situation where I've gotten some constructive criticism on a very unique design, and suddenly many designers ran with the CH's advice and ended up with designs VERY similar to mine. They did not win, but it was still very frustrating. I now refuse to participate in any contest unless it is blind.

#14 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

I think you're right and doing well, someone can tell me if the DC regulates contests blind, or if only the CH can see the entries, I think you already know the rest of my thought ... cliparts, copys, etc. etc, I'm afraid that I and other designers can be at a disadvantage

#15 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

The are 2 bad things with blind contests:
1. If the brief is literary brief and have poor feedback from client during process;
2. The worst one - abusing of blind mode, in form of using clip-art, playing "sitting on a double chair" (if there are two similar business contest, some designers entering same design on both) or coping other designs outside DC.

#16 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

babba agree with you, I left the question in the air for your second topic, I await someone from admin DC clarify me

#17 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

I agree with who said: competition is competition.. it's frustrating really being copied by others in a contest.. but that's mean bcuze you are the best.. and if you still the best & unique enough you then deserve to win.. if there's anything better it might win.

i remember i had some designer bigging me in private message to copy my concept in a contest that i won eventually..hehe. my idea was copied all over the contest..and there was many reported and removed designs, and this designer wants to win soooo bad he told me. plz i can win if i made this change to my design!!! what the****!!!! I didn't even answer that!

But i still see that is the public competition process is the most important to keep us designers outperform ourselves ..it's not all about the money. and when CH chooses that he do it in purpose. they wants best of the best.. It might doesn't really matter to them who DESERVE..as much as who DELIVER their expectations.

-last minutes entries limitation can be useless if the copy cat designers decided to participate in the contest from the very beginning with any design just to break that rule.

- i agree with babba about blind contest disadvantages..But it also prevent many cases of coping concepts & advices from CH to other designers. and yes it would be better if CH communicates better through brief & comments.

But going blind all the time wouldn't be the answer to the problem of most of you.. In real life you have to show the world your talent.. through ur portfolio, ur website....ETC. knowing that other ppl might be (inspired) by your work.. and you can't prevent it. but you can always beat all of that if you really are the best of what you do.

Edited by like an angel, 04 October 2012 - 10:38 AM.

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#18 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hi Like an Angel when I say that competition is competition not saying to copy other designers, what I say is to be with attention to the CH like, fonts, colors, style, from here, it's kind of brief, from these topics can be 100% original, do not agree?

#19 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

of course i agree with you zeca, i don't mean that designers can copy each others under the name of competition, i meant you have to bring it all up and expect that some people will (allowed or not allowed) do copy fellow designers.. if you are still the best you will win, if not...

we can't prevent copy cats before they do the actual copy.. but we try to limit them by giving infractions, ban sometimes to those who don't respect rules and other designers' work and effort.

all of us here Admins, Mods or Designers are trying to do all our best to stop these kind of ppl ruining the experience for us and make it honest competition.

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#20 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

ok I fully agree with you Like an Angel and believe that all Admins, Mods or Designers, will do their best, I'm going by myself to give my best.
Regards. Zeca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users