Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

What's up with the contest:
Yallingup Malibu Classic

So far it is full of clip art, but...
since client used similar (photo)for the last year (http://www.designcon...4139/YALMAL.jpg)
perhaps they wouldn't mind to see something like that.
In that case, I think it would be clever if Admins could contact the client, and see what would they like. If so, then each designer should leave file source (or whatever makes it legal) in the comment.
If not, then we will see a lot of infractions there.

#2 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Babba,
the Contest Holder writes in the brief: "We are looking for something classic, but not just a simple clip art malibu board."

What else there is?

#3 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

The basic skills (to flip the image) for using this : Surfer Silhouette Vector clip art - Free vector for free download
is in how the designer offers a good impression adding other special effects to it ...

#4 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

ArsOrum:):):)
I don't want to go there yet... until DC admins say their words about it.
I was about to finish drawing of mine surfer, and than I saw so many clip-arts, thinking why am I doing hard work?!
I could flip an ready-made image, like you show me:), or emboss, or extrude, or copy someone's else work.

#5 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Babba,
yes ... we can fully understand You and feel the same ...

Never give up !!! :):)

Stop downloading. Start uploading.

— Jay Bradner

#6 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

if you have the links proving the clipart then please report the design we will take what action is needed

Like us on facebook

#7 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

"coming up with the concept was not that hard but it was a lot of work of investigation, hope you really like it, greetings."
How can one even dare to leave such a comment????
Yeah... so much of investigation... how long did it take to download it? Hundreds of same photo and clip art.

http://onlyhdwallpap...aper-720018.jpg
http://t3.gstatic.co...3naqxpFtdXO&t=1
I could go on and on with the illustration as well.

#8 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

And guys, when you are doing obvious image tracing, at least make sure you don't capture another company's image or logo... Nike for example.

#9 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Yap! And won designer who used clip art in previous entries, with design obviously photo-traced - included the NIKE sign on it.
Good Work!
Yallingup Malibu Classic - Designs by premiumlogo

Seems like rules are only for some.

#10 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

BIG SORRY ABOUT NIKE!
It is not Nike sign (or designer wanted to be, ' cause it looks like 100%), but it helped me to find this:
http://images2.layou...board-water.jpg

Edited by Babba, 29 August 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#11 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

Out of 6 entries, 4 of them are clip arts, cheated. And still won.
What are the actions here?

Edited by Babba, 30 August 2012 - 08:16 AM.

#12 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Babba,

no comments, just Grrrrr and more Grrrr !

The "Nike" symbol, was created by hair gaps ...

In the time that some "designer" is spending on : copyng, resizing, stretching and camuflating existing images, they could/ should have learnt how to draw from the spine !

Good eye, Babba.
and Chin Up ! :):)

Design is mored than just a few tricks to the eye. It’s a few tricks to the brain.

— Neville Brody

#13 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thank you ArsOrum!:)
Yes, Nike is from hair gaps, but still I think it is bit highlighted (hair on that place is too dark, so it might be intentionally made as a sign).
I went to art school - high and academy. I draw (at least I used to), but don't like to draw in Ai or by Intuos, I'm avoiding that, it is too hard for me when I am not using regular graphic pen... it is a hard work and takes a lot of time, especially when I never consider my self to be good in "cartoonish" or strip style. Beside that, logo shouldn't include such drawings/images.
But I tried to make my own surfer (even I shouldn't:)) , I drew him (them) for 2 days - find right angle, perspective, proportion, position, how male anatomy works in all those... all of that with no shadows, or points to guide... it is hard.

BTW, my first question on this thread was - would it be aloud to use clip-art, ' cause it seems CH wouldn't mind? The answer was NO, and look what we have. Numerous removed entries, about 10 more to go, many like you said re-sized and camouflaged clip arts, and winning as a big copy... and I can bet client will not mind at all.

Yes, and forgot to note - I guess silver went for:
http://chesapeakerot.../06/HangTen.jpg
http://www.designcon...esigner/lkyllo/

I am also wondering, if one has been caught with the clip-art, what is he/she doing on that contest? That designer should be banned, if not from the DC, then from that contest.

Edited by Babba, 29 August 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#14 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

Babba,

we understand your disillusion ... but You are Stronger !!

About being banned from the contest, or others that are currently on, we want to believe that DesignContest is taking the right measures, also because it is not fair at all for DC that these awkward situations are continuously happening.

Sometimes things take time to solve, but in the end, the ones who keep falling into the same mistake, are caught in their own arrogance !

In Life there is a Right Space and a Right Time !!

Keep up Your strenght and good will to be out of the box !!

#15 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

pardon my intrusion, but by your conversation, and from what I've seen in some contests, There are contests will be better just good ilustradoes enter them, because 90% are cliparts, or modified cliparst. for two or three days I've been watching contests, what is done, what customer s like, what i can and can not do (I have some doubts here), but I think only on the ground, I'll have more certainties but thanks for your conversation clarified some things to me

#16 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Babba you are tracing policeman ;)

#17 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts