• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 eezerdesign

eezerdesign

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

hi there,

if i export corel draw file to AI, does it work fine on it?

#2 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

Depend on design.

If plain color design...
just export it to EPS or AI.

Else...
If toning color is used, without any effect (shadow or transparency), export to AI.
(Depend on color that you use especially if RGB based color, maybe need repair to the color a bit in AI).
Don't embed color profile when exporting.

Else...
If effect is used (like shadow or transparency), export to PDF
(use prepress as preset, select NONE for bitmap compression, use 300 dpi for color, 300 dpi for grayscale, 1200 for monochrome bitmap downsampling when exporting the pdf).
The drop shadow needs to be separated/break-apart and convert to transparent bitmap first in coreldraw. Transparency, leave it as it is.
Object with toning color need to be recolor in AI (so better export to PDF the plain color copy of your design version, remake the toning color later in AI,
or, export also AI format for toning color version, open both files in AI, so you can just use eyedropper to copy the color in AI).

Other note: if you use texture fill, don't apply it directly to the object, but "place inside container" rectangle with texture fill to the object. Before export to PDF, extract it from container and convert the rectangle texture to 300 dpi bitmap (clipping mask it later in AI). Here is what I mean.

Posted Image

This is between Illustrator CS3 and CorelDraw x5...Other than this, not sure...

Edited by morabira, 01 November 2012 - 04:20 AM.

#3 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

If it is print ready design (no need editing) with design size, page size, bleed and cropping mark is already being set nicely in CorelDraw...just export to pdf should be ok...(do nothing before export the pdf, just export the design as it is...no need to separate the shadow, no need to bla bla bla........but make sure to convert font to curve and convert outline to object).

This is also between Illustrator CS3 and CorelDraw x5...Other than this, not sure...

Make sure also to use correct color. If CMYK printing, use only CMYK color.

If spot color printing, use only spot color (if spot color design, don't use toning/fountain/gradient fill, tinting percent is OK, spot color bitmap monotone/duotone is OK, ....if we're stubborn enough to use toning fill, we need to remake the toning in AI.. or make toning in coreldraw but convert it to spot color bitmap monotone/duotone before PDF export. How? refer here...
http://www.designcon...utorials-2.html).....
or make toning in coreldraw, export as AI instead of PDF but don't use monotone/duotone bitmap (make sure don't "convert spot color to RGB" during the export)...

Edited by morabira, 24 October 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#4 bbiinnaa

bbiinnaa

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Yes it works, but always have to check how it opens on Ai because maybe some effects are lost. Also keep in mind that when exporting to AI from CDR all the fonts will be changed to curves, so keep the original CDR file for font info.

#5 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

That's for sure a good idea bbiinnaa to double check....

Shadow, powerclip, texture fill, transparency, blend effect, mesh fill, envelope, artistic media no problem for print ready pdf.....but like I said, from CorelDraw x5, opened in Illustrator CS3....other version, not sure. For other version, better separate/break apart/convert-to-curve any effect first and convert to bitmap any raster effect or raster fill...

For safer solution for print ready file, just embed anything that is suitable to be embedded like background and complex design as bitmap.

Even better solution, use the first method rather than the second method if we've both Coreldraw and AI even for a print ready file (re-toning and re-clip in AI).

For print ready file, better convert the font to curve in the design itself before export, and save the converted version as another file if we want to keep original file.

Edited by morabira, 28 October 2012 - 05:31 AM.

#6 NewAge

NewAge

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Whoa! This forum thing is really a parallel school of design....thanks all of u!!

#7 riyan76

riyan76

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

you will feel easy to create barcode first making barcode at coreldraw.
Than you copy and paste illustator and later in illustrator will become new vector an than we conevert to Ai. or Eps
good luck

#8 mofya

mofya

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

I was wondering about this... Thanks for the info.

#9 HUH

HUH

• Designer
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

The big question is how do you create your artwork and how do you export it. If you need to work with layer, go to Tools/object manager and create all layer you need. Each object will be stored in the layer you select. Illustrator will preserve all the layers from CorelDRAW. And, when you export as Illustrator, select the rigth version, not Illustrator 8 as defaut

#10 untung

untung

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Wow,. It's really really help me!!
Thanks

#11 HUH

HUH

• Designer
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

thanks to all my friends realy great help to me

#12 hahahack

hahahack

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

hha i dont know why, i prefer corelDraw than AdobeIlllustrator , or it just because many friends in my collegge use it
thanks for nice thread :)

#13 eezerdesign

eezerdesign

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

hi,

thank you all for the precious information. it was very very helpful.
and i agree with hahahack. i prefer corel too. but some clients ask the original file in ai format, and i was not sure if it was possible.
thank you all again! :D

#14 HUH

HUH

• Designer
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

hi thanks to all realy great nice post

#15 acid

acid

Banned

• Banned
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

wow ... this forum is very helpful. I always have a problem when export files to ai. thank you....

#16 gambarono

gambarono

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

Even better, we learning the both software by thoroughly

#17 rajagee

rajagee

• Designer
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

Great Post, But please one question ? what is size of export file after convert to corel to Ai?

#18 svikram

svikram

Banned

• Banned
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

yes it will but use the drag and drop method. I means drag Coreldraw file to AI it will remain same :)

#19 miharu

miharu

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Great Post, But please one question ? what is size of export file after convert to corel to Ai?

Depends ... How many effects are in the file, how many layers, etc.

#20 janedoe

janedoe

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

All this is good too know, I often use CorelDraw but I've never collaborated with Illustrator!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users