First Try

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 mabonifas

mabonifas

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

This is my first attempt at designing a character, I understand that its a little rough. Let me know your feedback on it. Particularly I am looking for suggestions on how to improve the nose because I think that looks a little off.

Thanks for checking it out

Attached File  Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 4.07.14 PM.jpg   36.91KB   192 downloads

#2 savina

savina

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 1290 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

hi! I like your character. I think you should make the edges a bit smoother. For the nose you can try it without the dark part on top of it near the eyes. :)

#3 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

I like this a lot actually! The look of the character reminds me of my old pc games I played when I was younger back in the early 90s

#4 Mini

Mini

• Designer
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

What you should do is find a character that have features you like and copy them but make them your own !Good luck

#5 markcuevas25

markcuevas25

Banned

• Banned
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

try different shading for the whole face especially the nose.. :)

#6 AmyD

AmyD

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

I like the hair and the face shape. The ears and nose look like they are not part of the same person. Sometimes less is more, maybe try nose and ears with just outlines and
then add shading/details 1 at a time.

Attached File  scooby lg.jpg   17.25KB   156 downloads

#7 clockworkjoe01

clockworkjoe01

• Designer
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Not bad.

I too often see people putting too many lines in the nose. Try making it more simple.

#8 MattMDesign

MattMDesign

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

Nice first try. On the arms I would reverse the 2 blue colors, because the collar is going to be creating a shadow at the top.

#9 VALADARES

VALADARES

• Designer
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

Sou desenhista nato (nunca fiz cursos de desenho nem na escola). Trabalho na criação de mascotes, História em quadrinhos e etc para agências de publicidades. Eu gostei de seu desenho no geral. A dica que lhe dou é: Observe como os grandes desenhistas fazem boca, nariz, expressão dos olhos e etc. Com o tempo seu subconsciente já estará familiarizado com essas soluções. Sendo dessa forma. Quando tiver uma idéia (consciente), seu subconsciente lhe ajudará e você desenhará naturalmente da maneira correta (acrescentando o que é importante e retirando o que não é importante ou belo). Espero que minha dica sirva para você. O resultado será a longo prazo. Grande abraço.

#10 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

To get the nose your perspective is off.. draw a perspective grid and use the angles to get your lighting the the nose shall fall in place naturally.

#11 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

Another faster dry cut way is to cut your character in half and use lighting only on one side...shade darker on the other

#12 HiDesign

HiDesign

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

Nice try! I think you should make the edges a bit smoother.

#13 Neverwinter

Neverwinter

Banned

• Banned
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

u shold round corners i think that may can work :)

#14 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

I really like the expression you have captured and I also quite like the low-poly look so please don't go and make it curvy!

Everyone is right about the nose - too many lines and the nostrils look funny! The lines get thicker towards the top of the nose where they should actually get thinner. The nose is also too far down the face - it should terminate at the brow - but i don't think you need that level of realism, just breaking the top line should fix this.

You can see too much of the nostrils and they are a bit dark.

Maybe simple cel(toon) shading would work better on this sort of character rather than using gradients. Light one side and shade the other.

Good first try and I would love to see an updated version!

#15 Jaraigo

Jaraigo

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

dont abuse the gradient tool, you can always try using two different tones for each color, and divide the image in two halfs

#16 Nomadicart

Nomadicart

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Nice job.

I would agree with savina. Smooth edges around body/face and Maybe simplify the nose and use more shading around body!
Keep up the good work!
:)

#17 nightelf082884

nightelf082884

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:11 AM

I like where your going with this, nice shading but it could use more rounded shapes and not too boxy so it doesn't look like a robot... Good luck on your next attempt!

#18 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

Can you upload your revised version, if you tried any of the above recommendations. I would love to see how this has changed since you first posted. My first character would never have looked so good. : )

#19 Zibanu

Zibanu

• Designer
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

Go for lighter colors for nose and mouth. Noticeable, but almost not! Use gradients for them as well.

#20 marie13161

marie13161

Banned

• Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Hey :) i do like it and the placement is spot on just it looks too sharp. Smooth the lines and points maybe :)
Good work though :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users