• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:18 AM

I hope my comments are helping. Keep those entries coming :)

darb, please make sure that you're using an image host that supports direct image linking. All submissions should use the [IMG] tags so that we can see your design right here on the forum.

Looking at your design, I somewhat see the same pattern as other first entries in the sense that it kind of follows the traditional rubric for what represents this type of company (i.e. it uses pre-existing ideas). This gives the feeling that the company is a combination of things that already exist, but the "CH" wrote that they want to stand out and be seen as unique. That's why I suggested that everyone step out of the box for this design. If you create another entry, make sure to free your creativity; try not to get stuck with "stencil" ideas :)

pigbait75, I like that you're adding something unusual with the reflecting C's. However, there are some possible points for improvement: I would reconsider the heavy use of outlines. Amongst other things, they provide too much clutter, something we definitely don't want to see in a modern professional logo. Try using contrast between shapes instead of outlines; here's an example with a well known optical illusion (Click Here). Notice that while there are no outlines, you can clearly see the circle. While on the topic of contrast, I would suggest using a bit more of it so that the shapes in your logo can be seen clearly. In some cases you want the logo to be soft, but in this case we really want to see it punch a hole through the page. Lastly, remember that this company is not traditional. The font should reflect this and serif fonts don't do that very well; in fact they really don't do that at all.

Looking forward to your next entry!

Cmd+X, I like this one, it's very close to accomplishing the goal. One thing I notice that could use a bit more attention is the finer details. While the overall look is pretty good, you really should get into the habit of getting those little crevices polished out. I notice, for example, that the C's don't really fit together evenly and there's nothing too special about either of them, they're quite default looking. If your plan is to make a logo icon out of letters, then the key ideas should be "custom made" and "custom fit". Just like when getting a tailor made tuxedo, you have to make sure that the proportions and overall style complement the customer very specifically. You can't accomplish this with fonts that are made for general use.

Other than that, very good attempt. Good job!

samisad0rk, another nice design. I especially like that you've used the two drastically different fonts. I have a few comments for this one as well though. To start, I get an overall feminine feel from this logo and I think it may exclude the male customers a bit too much. I would try to keep the design as unisex as possible. Also, I'm a bit lost when it comes to the communications part of this design. I think it may be represented in some way by the tail of the "y" but that's just a guess based on your last entry. I know you'll probably think that I'm going back and forth between making the design more abstract and making it connect to the company. I promise you though, there is a sweet spot somewhere in between :)

McGrattan, wow that's one huge design! First, I'm going to have to kindly ask that you please make it a bit smaller. While the main reason for this is that it's kind of distorting our forum layout, it's never really a good idea to present your logos in such a large format. While a high resolution version is important for the final logo package, your presentation should be realistically proportioned. Try to keep the size of the logo slightly larger than what you would see on a website.

The design looks nice, although I'm still not feeling the connection to the company. I would almost expect to see such a design as the logo for an edgy clothing company. Remember that the types of lines you use in your design have a certain intrinsic feel to them. If you use rough lines, then you're implying a sort of hand-made imperfection, but in communications almost everything is smooth and sleek; you'll hardly ever find anything hand made; everything is fabricated to perfection. Another minor thing to take note of is that you should avoid cramming design elements inside a container with a small and uneven border around them. I've noticed this to be a pretty solid design rule: borders should either be small and even, large and allowing the elements to breathe, or non-existent. If, on the other hand, you have a border that's small and uneven, gives the impression that you just didn't pay attention to what you were doing. I wrote a similar comment to another designer here on DC, this is the link if you'd like to read it.

To sum up, try to keep track of the subconscious signals your design is sending to its viewers. Good effort, would be great to see a third if you care to make one!

ashleyan19, welcome to the contest! Unfortunately I have to say that I really disagree with your approach to this design. Here's a breakdown what I mean: First, there's way too much going on with the fonts and text; lots of inconsistency. I can see how two different fonts (maybe 3 if two of them are similar) could be used, but you have what looks like 3 or more different fonts, some letters in caps, some in different font styles, some huge, some small. It's a bit like patchwork on a quilt, but not in a good way. It would really help this design if things were a bit more consistent on that front. Another thing is the playful letter C; it really doesn't convey a feeling of modern or professional, and both of those words are part of the company description. Lastly, the red line going from the star to the C is very ambiguous. There are cases where such an abstract line can be used as a stylized representation of something, but you have to be absolutely 100% confident in your ability to create such abstractions. Remember that abstractions are based on literal entities, so don't attempt to go backwards by creating graphical abstractions without fully understanding what that abstraction is meant to represent.

#22 samisad0rk

samisad0rk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:39 AM

The tail of the Y has more to do with security. I agree about the feminine feel with the last. Here is a revision! feedback appreciated!

Posted Image

#23 Zii

Zii

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

Hi, sry for posting so late again:( I have so much work but some logos are welcome:)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 McGrattan

McGrattan

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

McGrattan, wow that's one huge design!

Thanks for taking the time to critique all of our designs. To be honest (and obvious), I am new to Illustrator and Graphic Design in general, so all suggestions are appreciated.

BACK ON TOPIC......I will try and get my third design polished off before the deadline.
Laid on a Mac

#25 McGrattan

McGrattan

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

3rd times a charm...

Posted Image
Laid on a Mac

#26 Cmd+X

Cmd+X

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:09 AM

revision. thanks for all your feedback!

Posted Image

#27 Cmd+X

Cmd+X

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

my last attempt. its been fun... thanks.

Posted Image

#28 samisad0rk

samisad0rk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

Here is my 3rd proposal. I kinda went on a tangent from my others. Thanks for a nice contest!

Posted Image

#29 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:27 PM

Thanks everyone for all current and upcoming entries! The contest will close in 9.5 hours. I'll give final feedback once the winner is chosen so as to keep you all in suspense until then :)

#30 aitek

aitek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

sorry i couldnt re-submit a second design, i was pretty busy at work ;(

till next contest!

Good designs guys..

#31 pigbait75

pigbait75

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

I know I'm too late but heres the other idea I had:(
Posted Image

#32 Nicholas

Nicholas

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

I like the star and the world pigbait - would look better if the yellow was maybe not faded at the top

#33 Nicholas

Nicholas

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:18 PM

Samisadork I like your third proposal the most! ( post #28 ) colors and everything are wicked

#34 samisad0rk

samisad0rk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:25 AM

Thanks Nicholas, Im glad you like it :)

#35 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

is this contest still buzy or is it already past it deadline?

#36 McGrattan

McGrattan

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

It's over, just waiting on the results... :-)
Laid on a Mac

#37 pigbait75

pigbait75

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

thanks nicholas

#38 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:12 AM

Ok, well again I want to thank everyone for participating! The winner of this contest is -- drum roll -- samisad0rk!!! With the entry on post #6:

Posted Image

Also, the feedback for the remaining designs is on its way. I think it would be a good read for the sake of improvement, but of course no follow-up designs are required :)

• Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

Congratulations, samisad0rk!

#40 samisad0rk

samisad0rk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

Thanks, Im excited :) I want to tell everyone else what an awesome job they did with this contest, I really loved seeing everyones take on the idea! Thanks for a fun community contest, and thank you for helping us all grow with design :) I'm really glad I found this forum. I have learned so much here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users