Worth your time?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#1 WarryrDesigns

WarryrDesigns

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:08 PM

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the value you receive as designers? It seems that the amount of work designers put out compared to pay possibility is very slim. Do you feel the contest format is worth your time? Is there something else you would like to receive as part of the process? I am personally frustrated by the lack of feedback received on projects. I understand that this is up to the clients, however I'm curious what the community feels.
  • mazzaki, PrismaCreative and jati0702 like this

#2 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:11 PM

Yes, chances are slim. We have all been trough that "very frustrating" phase, then you get used to it. That's how all crowd sites are functioning. 

I even had, as probably many other designers had, an addiction phase, mixed with competitive spirit. 

But it all depends why are you working on crowd site.

If you work only to pay the bills than you have to work even harder, you must attract client's attention and compete with other designers full time.

On the other hand, if you work for design purpose only and more for own joy, then it is, of course, easier. 

Also, it depends where do you come from. I assume a logo prize in some countries wouldn't cover much of the bills, but in other countries is a month salary.

The biggest benefit one designer can get through this competition is professional developing. Not only you will improve your designing skills (which I find the most important), but you will be able to work practically 1-on-1 with different types of the clients from all over the world, even if you do not win a contest. You will work with various industries and businesses. That will open your views, improve the senses for clients and brief estimation and understanding, negotiation, communication and similar. 

Further on, a fusion with designers from all over the world is interesting. And of course, you will be on design trend.

That is real experience. 

Forgot to add, having a portfolio is another great thing. 

• sharie, HerbertNordal, PaintedPony and 9 others like this

#3 davidhendricks

davidhendricks

• Client
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:29 PM

The following thread itself is worth our time and our attention, thanks for sharing this post with us! We are waiting for the next one. Hope it is going to be intriguing. 

• jati0702 likes this

#4 jati0702

jati0702

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:08 PM

help me, i just knew community contest discussion.

#5 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:19 PM

Babba really nailed it.

on the other hand...

@WarryrDesigns, why do you have a link to a site that writes and sells papers?

That is sort of a cheat enabling business for students.

This site and others like it struggle to eliminate unethical practices in design. 

People who represent other peoples work as the own are banned and we wish we could prosecute them.

• Babba likes this

#6 Bernadette

Bernadette

• Designer
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:05 PM

I would really love it if Contest holders gave more feedback, the most successful ones are the ones who receive frequent feedback

specially when the brief is very ... brief!

• Ladun likes this
www.b-e-r-n-a.com

#7 Ladun

Ladun

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:06 AM

Do rating in a contest determine who wins? It would be nice if there was a way to view contest from a CH perspective or does anyone here have experience holding contest?

#8 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 05:07 PM

Do rating in a contest determine who wins? It would be nice if there was a way to view contest from a CH perspective or does anyone here have experience holding contest?

Hi  there

No the ratings will not determine winner. Only the contestholder can choose the winner. Ratings  help contestholders keep track of entries they like plus you as a designer will receive designer points

The ch can choose any entry  rated or not as the winner

Good luck in the contests 

• PrismaCreative likes this

Like us on facebook

#9 PrismaCreative

PrismaCreative

Guru

• Designer
  • 613 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:45 PM

@Ladun, Want to experience what CH side can do? Check the Demo page: https://www.designcontest.com/demo/?  :)

#10 Robinhike

Robinhike

• Client
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

Of course the contest format is worth my time, thanks a lot!!

#11 indio

indio

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 02:49 AM

in term of money not really, in term of experience, its really worth. It has nothing to do with saturated competition but with the client, they do not understand logo design, 50% of them think logo should represent what they do instead of merely identifier.

#12 anjamerdzan789

anjamerdzan789

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:54 AM

I joined when I was trying to get a job in new country which wasn't so easy. At that time I kept myself busy with DesignContest trying to improve my design skills and to practice which was great. But if you want to sell your design and win a contest, you really need to try super hard and give your best as the competition is huge, there's some really talented designers. You have to use your biggest design tricks and strengths you have in order to stand out in the crowd and win.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users