Got problem to save artwork in png. format

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Syahirah

Syahirah

• Designer
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Sometimes i can save my artwork in png. format by clicking from the SAVE AS tab.. but sometimes when i click SAVE AS, there is no option for png. format.. why does this happen? Can anyone explain? And what is the difference if i save png. from the SAVE FOR WEB & DEVICES tab?
  • lalelemu likes this

#2 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

IS the file you trying to save cmyk mode? Change your file to rgb and you will have the png option : )
  • lalelemu likes this

Like us on facebook

#3 Syahirah

Syahirah

• Designer
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

Yes, cmyk..it's for printing purpose.. i have this picture of a product, i cropped and delete the background so it became transparent.. this is the work i wanted to save in png. so later i can transfer it to illustrator where the flyer template is
  • lalelemu likes this

#4 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

png is an rgb file format that is why you can't save the cmyk as a png, you could try a transparent tiff but that will be a VERY large file, also cmyk is not for web.

gif is another file format that is transparent if you choose but I don't think you can save a cmyk in a format that should be rbg maybe some of the others have better information about this?

Edited by sharie, 31 May 2014 - 11:35 PM.

• lalelemu likes this

Like us on facebook

#5 Syahirah

Syahirah

• Designer
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

what if, in photoshop i save the product image as rgb png, then in illustrator, i convert my complete artwork in cmyk? can that be done? it won't affect the quality of the image, would it?
  • lalelemu likes this

#6 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:23 AM

you can't make a raster file into a vector file unless you completely redraw the image. Saving the raster file no matter if rgb or cmyk as a vector will not create what you want or need.

I am not quite sure what you are trying do here

From what I am reading you have a raster file that is cmyk. you want to save this raster file as a png file, you have to change the cmyk to rgb to save as png

I am not sure why you would save this in illustrator unless you are redrawing this artwork to make it a vector file
  • lalelemu likes this

Like us on facebook

#7 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

In photoshop, you need to create a path around your image and then save your path. You will then need to save that path as a CLIPPING PATH. You can then save your image as an eps file. It will allow you to save in cmyk mode for printing purposes. When you import/place the image file in illustrator, the image will be silhouetted (no background around the image so it will have a 'transparent' background). Hope that helps.
  • HerbertNordal and lalelemu like this

#8 Syahirah

Syahirah

• Designer
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:38 AM

OK,I get the idea now. Thank you sharie for your understandable explanation! :o
  • lalelemu likes this

#9 Syahirah

Syahirah

• Designer
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:00 AM

.Attached File  53-Best-Business-Card-Design-Inspiration test.jpg   21.72KB   79 downloads

Lets say this is the image i want to convert to cmyk and save as png.I cropped the image of the owl and deleted the background.I normally just save the cropped image to psd files, then just insert it to illustrator. It helps because the background is transparent, but i can't use the same method every time as certain image i'm using is big and psd files are heavy.
As you were saying,I make the path around the owl using pen tool,right? Then i right click,but how can i save the path to clipping path cuz the CLIPPING PATH tab is not highlighted. Sorry, I'm not an expert in photoshop. Hope i can learn something new from you.
  • lalelemu likes this

#10 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:43 AM

In photoshop, select your magic wand and click on the white background around the owl.

From the pulldown menu tab, go to SELECT > INVERSE

Right click and select MAKE WORK PATH

From the pulldown menu tab, go to WINDOW > PATHS

You should have a floating PATH palette and you will see the name WORK PATH

If you double click on WORK PATH, you will be able to name it and click OK to save it

Select the drop down menu icon (in the upper right hand corner) of the PATH palette

Select CLIPPING PATH and click OK (You will see that your path is now 'outlined')

From the pulldown menu tab, select IMAGE > MODE > CMYK COLOR

Go to FILE > SAVE AS > PHOTOSHOP EPS and click save/OK

You can also create a path with the pen tool if you have an intricate image that needs to be silhouetted.

Here is a link to a tutorial as well:
Comm Lab: How To Make a Clipping Path in Photoshop

Good luck. Let us know if it worked. :)
  • lalelemu likes this

#11 Syahirah

Syahirah

• Designer
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:17 AM

It worked! Thank You #paintedpony. I learned something new today. I can even edit it's shape in illustrator. I tried saving the image to eps and psd,I realize that the eps file is heavier compared to psd. Anyway, thanks a lot!
  • lalelemu likes this

#12 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:26 AM

Awesome! Glad it worked for you! :)
  • lalelemu likes this

#13 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:18 AM

Sorry I was not understanding what you were trying to do, I thought you had a flat image with background removed that was cmyk and trying to save it as a png...my bad
  • lalelemu likes this

Like us on facebook

#14 Syahirah

Syahirah

• Designer
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

No sharie, u did understand what the problem was.. your explanation helped me actually.. i understand your explanation and quickly get the idea..i asked paintedpony further because she mentioned something new - clipping path- that i never used in photoshop.. so, thanks to both of you!
  • lalelemu likes this

#15 8webcom

8webcom

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

you get help on w3 schools and learn about it step by step for saving the image.
  • lalelemu likes this

#16 Syahirah

Syahirah

• Designer
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:25 AM

Sorry, but I can't find the link where it would show me the tutorial on saving the image. What I understand w3 schools is for web design?Can you please show me?
  • lalelemu likes this

#17 milemew

milemew

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

Clipping path is one of the most popular photo editing services around the world. We are providing this service on lowest price and in dedicated way. We can give you quality work and can give you guarantee that you will not be unhappy with the completed work. Clipping path service is used for isolating an important part of an image and we are providing that service from our end. The path of the image we select that is preferred by the clients the path can be the any portion of image.

• lalelemu likes this

#18 milapew

milapew

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:20 AM

First clipped out the background or remove the background then you can easily save your artwork in .png formate. 

• lalelemu likes this

#19 RajGawdi

RajGawdi

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:50 AM

In photoshop, select your magic wand and click on the white background around the owl.

From the pulldown menu tab, go to SELECT > INVERSE

Right click and select MAKE WORK PATH

From the pulldown menu tab, go to WINDOW > PATHS

You should have a floating PATH palette and you will see the name WORK PATH

If you double click on WORK PATH, you will be able to name it and click OK to save it

Select the drop down menu icon (in the upper right hand corner) of the PATH palette

Select CLIPPING PATH and click OK (You will see that your path is now 'outlined')

From the pulldown menu tab, select IMAGE > MODE > CMYK COLOR

Go to FILE > SAVE AS > PHOTOSHOP EPS and click save/OK

You can also create a path with the pen tool if you have an intricate image that needs to be silhouetted.

Here is a link to a tutorial as well:
Comm Lab: How To Make a Clipping Path in Photoshop

Good luck. Let us know if it worked. :)

Thanks for sharing. Really appreciate your helping nature.

#20 petermichaels

petermichaels

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:19 AM

I think you can try this.

Take a screenshot of your artwork. Paste it into a graphics program like MS Paint or Paint.Net. 
Crop it, edit it or whatever and then save it as a JPG or PNG or some other file format that you can use elsewhere. 

Since you like MS Works' Word Art, keep using it. 

I have MS Word and it has Word Art. I can copy/paste it to some other apps like MS OneNote. But, I have to use the screenshot method I described above to save the Word Art as a graphics file (JPG/PNG).

To know more you can take a look at Clipping Path Associate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users