Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

gmail accounts

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

• Guests

Posted 15 June 2004 - 02:09 AM

I've been bumping into offers/requests for gmail accounts all the time lately. People sell them for $10-15... wow and other people pay for those accounts. Such a fuss about being google's beta tester! Well, you've got to pay to be fashionable these days... It must be worth it ;)

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any lucky people in our community who's got to try what is it like to be a happy owner of gmail account. Share your impressions with us!

#2 davidude

davidude

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 02:48 AM

I love it.

It is worth the money if you want the account before everyone else and if you want a good name (I got biederman@gmail.com - my last name - so it was worth $15 for me)

The actual service itself is awesome. I'm on a 28.8k right now, not my normal cable, and it is still very fast to navigate... like using google.

The setup takes a bit to get used to but once you do it is much easier and more enjoyable than hotmail and the like.

The best thing about it is that - as everyone knows - you get a gig of storage. While most people will never use that much, it means that you never have to delete a single email, you can just archive them and then use a mini version of google's search engine to quickly find the emails.

I will be shocked if it doesn't put hotmail out of business or at least put a huge dent in the amount of users they have. There is not one thing about it that I don't like - and it's still in beta :D
Sanctum Studios :: Graphic Design Solutions

• Guests

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:01 AM

wow, david, that sounds really nice. But you didn't tell us how you got this account. Was it someone's free invitation or you had to pay for it. I really know nothing about it and I am extremely curious... :)

#4 Jag

Jag

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:07 AM

I got my account from a close friend for free ( :D ), I love it as well.

I've been using Yahoo! Mail (mainly because it came included in my YIM registration, no personal reason), but GMail is a hundred times better. It's cleaner, easier, and like noted above, a heck of a lot faster!

I've got 3 invites, but I'm think I'm going to spread the wealth and give them to my other friends/family members. ;)
[ My Portfolio: Design.4-Jag ]
[ Recommended Links: eKibitz ]

• Guests

Posted 15 June 2004 - 04:21 AM

too bad, I was just about to ask for one :D

#6 davidude

davidude

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 02:39 PM

I payed $15 for mine... I'm selling 1 invite for $15 Paypal. I want to get my money back :D. Once you have an account they give you three invites so you shouldn't have any problem getting your money back.
Sanctum Studios :: Graphic Design Solutions

• Guests

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:03 AM

I understand and I was just kidding. Yes, invites trade seems to be popular now...

#8 Derek

Derek

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:03 AM

Heh...I still prefer my own domain e-mails. :p

#9 Vicki

Vicki

• Designer
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:38 AM

I like it, it has a nice organization and lots of space, plus it has lots of names available...too bad it has to be over 6 letters.

I heard they made it illegal now to sell them for money, though. I got the invite for free..:)

#10 DesignCore

DesignCore

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:03 PM

Do not store ur emails. DO not unless you want your privacy stolen.

Gmail wants u to store them so they can later check on improper and illegal activities.

Internet law states that emails are only private within a 3 month period so after 3 months google can go into ur email and read it.

So this can cause things like legal actions if they see certain words like. Bomb, kill, murder, warez, shit like that they will prolly have a bot that serches for such words and gives it to authorities.

Even if you delete it they say the mail will be stored on there server for a very long time.

To test my theory im going to send numerous emails about blowing shit up in america and so forth but make it all seem like its about a game see if they catch on.

Also i dont think 1 gb is smat. We all can send our psds and theat shit to toher ppl using gmail and not our hosts LOL SUKKERs,

#11 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:14 PM

I think you have it all wrong. Nobody reads our email, its scanned by their systems in order to display google-ads. This is the same process as when you search for something on google, or when you view a website with google ads.

I highly doubt anyone is going to check up on illegal activities. If you are doing illegal activities anyways, why would you want to talk about it in an email? No email is secure, and it can all be intercepted before being sent anywhere (which is actually what the US gov't does when investigating someone)

Do not store ur emails. DO not unless you want your privacy stolen.

Gmail wants u to store them so they can later check on improper and illegal activities.

Internet law states that emails are only private within a 3 month period so after 3 months google can go into ur email and read it.

So this can cause things like legal actions if they see certain words like. Bomb, kill, murder, warez, shit like that they will prolly have a bot that serches for such words and gives it to authorities.

Even if you delete it they say the mail will be stored on there server for a very long time.

To test my theory im going to send numerous emails about blowing shit up in america and so forth but make it all seem like its about a game see if they catch on.

Also i dont think 1 gb is smat. We all can send our psds and theat shit to toher ppl using gmail and not our hosts LOL SUKKERs,

Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#12 DesignCore

DesignCore

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:18 PM

Yes thats when they investigate some one. Now they can havea bot jsut serch through it. See by storing emails over 3 months then they become eligible to be read. cuz then the law dosnt protect them. Its in the Terms of Service. There was a site which talked about gmail and things but i cant remember it.

Plus sumtimes ppl share things through emails no one really thinks about it

#13 Ruben@Run2

Ruben@Run2

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 06:10 PM

Have you realized that if they want, they can read your email and you will never knew it? :rolleyes: So chill, grab a beer and hopefully soon you will be enjoying a GMail account.
:: Ruben ::
www.RUN2Corp.com

• Guests

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:40 AM

That is strange but this week gmail hasn't been opening in my Mozilla Firebird (my IE is 5.0 doesn't supported by gmail). Does anybody know what the problem might be? I got a chance to use it for a couple of days only. Was a nice little thing. I was starting to like it...

Update: it's only that gmail.google.com stopped working. I should have tried gmail.com - it works!

#15 RussellClow

RussellClow

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:07 AM

EDIT: I'll try reading the thread before i post \o/
RTC PRODUCTIONS - Web Design at its Best!

#16 will

will

Designer / Technomancer

• Designer
  • 763 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:12 AM

Hey, guys. Google is GREAT but isn't G-MAIL a little SHE-MALE like.

For example, if my name is IAMA@GMAIL, I can be on a big trouble if I am NOT.

Well, just wondering. Just to avoid the doubt remember to call yourself IAMNOTA@GMAIL.COM

See ya... GUYS ?

Ha ha ha I am just joking...

AM I ?
Will
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it" (EDITH WHARTON)
-- NEW Portfolio --

#17 RussellClow

RussellClow

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:14 AM

have u been taking drugs will? :eek:
RTC PRODUCTIONS - Web Design at its Best!

#18 will

will

Designer / Technomancer

• Designer
  • 763 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:26 AM

Not yet, but if you consider 7 hours of Warcraft a drug I am pretty sure I am guilty as charge.

Sorry but every time I pronounce GMAIL I can't avoid the similarity of the sound.

But I might be deaft...

...or not ?
Will
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it" (EDITH WHARTON)
-- NEW Portfolio --

#19 Vicki

Vicki

• Designer
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:54 AM

lol its just google mail = gmail.

i dont care if they look at my emails..as long as i dont know about it.
i dont share any secrets or talk about illegal things anyway. :D

#20 Fabolous05

Fabolous05

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:41 AM

yeah Gmail is awesome, I think if you archive your e-mail you can search it just like google and then it doesn't count as your GB of storage I don't think. I've been selling gmail acounts for only 5 dollars to a lot of people and seems popular. hehe i still got a few more left too :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users