• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 emdesign

emdesign

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

I'm agreeing with all the other posters that I would have charged a lot more than that, especially for all that detail. Like someone said, it would have been better if they flat out asked for it for free than offering that small of a payment. There are a LOT of people out there (as I'm sure all of us designers are well aware) that know nothing about how long/how much skill goes into this kind of work, so they probably just had no idea.

#22 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

I don't want to say this outloud but ....the only people that have ripped me off (that I'm aware of) has been church groups. They send me info wanting me to work up a design for tshirt for a camp or something like that. I work it up and do revisions send the jpg withmy watermark for final approval and guess what I never hear from them again. I have nothing against church groups at all so please don't be offended. I have also found many of these groups want alot for not much of anything.

I will be finding a way to write off much of this though : )

Like us on facebook

#23 TheDreamer_EJoy

TheDreamer_EJoy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

OMB thats RIDICULOUS! 50 is better but thats still crazy

#24 jiaix

jiaix

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

@church goups
the lord giveth ... and the lord taketh away ... st peter is going to be really embarrased when you say that that's yours shirt his wearing :p

#25 reeni_

reeni_

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

lol i donno how they do it there. but one design costs at least 1,000 bht here , hmm bout $30. for $15 dollars, I can do it. I mean 15$ for each lil circles and the eagle, n $10 for each line of letters. n if you still wanna hire me, i'll just give the flag free for discount. lol

#26 noxieCreative

noxieCreative

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:03 AM

Very interesting proposal you got sent sharie... to be honest I might have just said no. It is a ton of work to vectorize that and you don't want to throw them a price you know they're not going to be able to pay. For something like that in full detail ... it would probably run them close to 250.... I can do logo's and stuff for a minimum 100.. but thats a TON of work.. I really liked how it came out.

I notice some weird overlappings and etc with the anchor.. wasn't sure if thats how it was supposed to be though ;)

It came out really nice.. if you show the images side by side or etc on your website it could be a great example to sell your vectorization skills.

#27 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:33 AM

I learned quite a bit working this vector. I will never ever accept such a low payment for this much work. I have to look it as training. When one does this much work as a vector it really makes your skills sharpen up. The one I loaded wasn't quite done and a few errors on it, I fixed them and the anchors were an error more like not finished. The text around the outer circle also had an error I fixed but for the most part I had just a couple of errors I had to fix. considering all the work involved in it., I'm Patting myself on the back : )

I am working on my new website and this will be an example of vectorizing (mI think I can legally show this as an example.

Like us on facebook

#28 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:19 AM

Maybe this wasn't the final version - but I noticed your text reads "THE NATION THAT FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL" and then stops...it leaves off the last bit of the phrase.

Just because someone wants to do something for a charity doesn't mean that you shouldn't be compensated fairly. You effectively donated $500. As a group, they were only wanting to donate $15. And then to not even come up with the $50...that's really tactless. Charity or no, I would have passed. I probably wouldn't have SAID it was because of the lack of funds, perhaps just blamed it on workload, etc.

Nice vector job, though. You might want to make them aware of the typo and then offer to fix it for the remaining $20. :)

#29 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:53 AM

In the post just above yours ( I think) I mentioned it wasn't the final. The text was fixed as well as the anchors. I wasn't quite sure why the text did what it did. I typed out the text on a circle path, made sure all was sized right and converted the text. I wonder if when I was sizing I was moving the text as well. Sometime when I have moved text on a circle path using the handles, if the text is too large some of it hides, I'm thinking that is what happened. Any way I fixed before send the final. My tax guy has told me I can use it as a right off even though they do not have a charity tax number.

This type of job sure does teach quite a bit not just the work but the other end of being a freelancer/contract designer.

Maybe this wasn't the final version - but I noticed your text reads "THE NATION THAT FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL" and then stops...it leaves off the last bit of the phrase.

Just because someone wants to do something for a charity doesn't mean that you shouldn't be compensated fairly. You effectively donated $500. As a group, they were only wanting to donate $15. And then to not even come up with the $50...that's really tactless. Charity or no, I would have passed. I probably wouldn't have SAID it was because of the lack of funds, perhaps just blamed it on workload, etc.

Nice vector job, though. You might want to make them aware of the typo and then offer to fix it for the remaining $20. :)

Like us on facebook

#30 xpressions

xpressions

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:02 PM

Yes, indeed quite a lot of FINE work you put in there. I would have charged a substantial amount of green. But it is for a good cause and all and I am sure you sharpened the skillset...I know it was alot of work but feel real good and proud about it. Maybe you can get a t-shirt when they are made....and post it here to see it in action :)

#31 Ryan Young

Ryan Young

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

you should definetely have got more than 50 for that work....in future work out how many hours it will take you to do the work and put an hourly rate next to it. i assume it took you around 5-6hours to do this? i think 300 would have been fair price.

#32 Unkei

Unkei

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:40 AM

$15?! More like $350. At least.

#33 trisler

trisler

• Designer
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

For $15?? You should have just hit "live trace" and done.
Although if it was for charity...

#34 trisler

trisler

• Designer
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

Oh! and beautiful work, btw.

#35 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

Thanks

No way could I use live trace, have you ever seen the results from live trace? I don't even think live trace would very much from the source photo

Like us on facebook

#36 trisler

trisler

• Designer
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:36 PM

Oh definitely not! I meant use it as a joke, just because they weren't giving you anything for your hard work.

#37 LawrieM

LawrieM

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

Ouch!

I normally charge AUS$90/hour, and for any "charity" work I usually calculate my billable hours and halve it. Then I give them a quote based on this, so they know the true value of the work.

…then I'm open for negotiation.

But, $15- $30 bucks?!?

I'm sure we've all been stung like this at some point in our careers.
Here's your moment - a lesson worth remembering!

Nice job BTW, based on the source material!

#38 MasNgabei

MasNgabei

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:33 AM

paying $15 for that kind of detail is an insult. If I was in your place, I'd rather be an angel and doing it for free (but having my logo on the shirt too). LOL

edited: and my logo will be the largest image on the shirt :D

Edited by MasNgabei, 16 August 2010 - 08:24 AM.

#39 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

Always ask for the design first then quote them. I atleast ask 15euro per hour rate. If you can do it in a hour maybe hehe.

#40 ECC

ECC

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

charge by the hour at min 65.00/hour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users