&nsbp;

#1 akhockey17

akhockey17

Banned

• Banned
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

Hey all,

I had an idea for my dad's birthday coming up to give him his own magazine cover and have it framed for him. He's been getting into biking over the past couple years and has grown to love it so what better way to acknowledge that then his own biking magazine cover. Let me know what you guys think of what I have so far. Everything that you see has been made from scratch, including the title and articles.

#2 lena

lena

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

hola.
kewl idea. i like it very much.
just a few suggestions:
maybe moving biker to the right aligning it with magazine title so u will gain more space on left side to put all titles.
maybe to make everything on the cover to have some connection with your dad. i.e. mark bennet wears pro gear (brand) etc....
overall i like it a lot & i think u're dad gonna luv it :)
thmbs up *****
every design needs designer

#3 libbyelliott

libbyelliott

• Designer
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

I think your magazine cover looks great!

It's very professional. I could see it at a news-stand right now.

It's also a creative and thoughtful gift for your Dad.

Well done.

#4 Borght

Borght

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

Nice! Looks professional. Reminds me of the sprint albums from panini! :)

#5 akhockey17

akhockey17

Banned

• Banned
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks. Most likely I'm just going to go ahead with it as is. I just wanted to post it here to see if there were any major flaws or changes I should address but I'm glad you all like it! Thanks again!

#6 aset

aset

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:30 PM

Nice work mate!
Probably looks better than most of the covers on the shelves right now. I wouldn't change a thing,

A friend of mine, who i work with did something similar. But he was a budding sailor. So he redid a front cover of the sports section of the newspaper we work at.

Very unique present.

#7 amaconline

amaconline

• Designer
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

haha excellent idea... go for it mate..!

#8 digitalmighty

digitalmighty

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Yeah he is going to love it.
My only thought (take it or leave it) was that it might look a little more refined if the edge around him was more decisive. Right now it's a little soft... kind of a motion blur but not quite. Perhaps either a clean, crisp edge or else a distinct motion blur effect would give it a little more of that polished touch.

Even without the changes he's gonna dig it. :-)

It's actually a great gift idea - may have to steal that!

#9 akhockey17

akhockey17

Banned

• Banned
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Yeah he is going to love it.
My only thought (take it or leave it) was that it might look a little more refined if the edge around him was more decisive. Right now it's a little soft... kind of a motion blur but not quite. Perhaps either a clean, crisp edge or else a distinct motion blur effect would give it a little more of that polished touch.

Even without the changes he's gonna dig it. :-)

It's actually a great gift idea - may have to steal that!

I think you make a very good point. I definitely was going for more of a softer edge look, and did in fact use a motion blur effect to the edges. I think I was wanting it look a little more like movement as you suggest but didn't go any further with it as I didn't mind the effect that it created the first time. Thanks for the suggestion though as I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future. Glad you liked it too!

#10 snowcha

snowcha

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:15 AM

Cool! He will love your present.
I would make him little bit more tilt to right and move him to left a little, so looks more awesome and it'll be a better composition. and maybe make it to Vol. 1 to whatever his age is.
(Vol. is usually the number of years they published)

#11 goldiewhy

goldiewhy

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

wow! That's a very professional cover! You got all the stuff on it! He'd love it for sure.

#12 Ogalde

Ogalde

Banned

• Banned
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

Very nice, but i'll change the grey background and maybe include something like "Limited Edition" or "Golden Edition" to make it more unique and exclusive. :D

#13 RFT_Concepts

RFT_Concepts

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:02 AM

The cover looks great but I gotta say I think the idea of making a personal cover for your dad is a very thoughtful idea. Make sure you get a nice frame :)

#14 akhockey17

akhockey17

Banned

• Banned
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hey guys,
Just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words and critique. I did end up tweaking some of it based on the feedback I received here and gave it to him only a couple days ago for his birthday. He absolutely loved it and has it hanging in his office. Also got him this pretty cool clock made out of bike parts. Once again I'm glad you guys helped me out and were able to make this even more special for my dad.

#15 gogsy7

gogsy7

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:43 AM

I think that your magazine cover looks great. I will not change anything. Great job.
Adobe Certified Instructor for Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign

#16 Musikvibe

Musikvibe

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

This is a very cute idea and I think it's executed well. I'm sure your father will think it's awesome :D

#17 HMDesigns

HMDesigns

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:55 AM

pretty cool idea, looks really good.

#18 Arafa

Arafa

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

im biker too, your dad will love it, Echelon corporation is the world leader in networking, your talk abou it ?, or theres a echelon bikers magazine .. i dont know , but i think if your use a name of a existing magazine or your invented the name ..can be more biker....
the design is very gooo have rithm, balance the green color is just for this,
congratulations, at the firs time i see the cover after read, and i thing theres a realy bike magazine, the first i think, is ..i want a copy of this..jaja
NIce..bye

#19 akhockey17

akhockey17

Banned

• Banned
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hey I'm back with yet another cover for a magazine. Because of the success and creativity of my Dad's biking cover, my Mom suggested I do one for my cousin who is getting married soon. Granted, I wasn't quite sure if this would be appropriate for the occasion, I had a lot of support behind it so here's what I came up with. I wanted to try and keep it simple and not overbearing like many tabloids are with their crazy headlines and the like. Tell me what you think! Thanks again!

http://dl.dropbox.co...g Blue mag1.jpg

PS: Sorry the image is so big but it works well if you save it first then open it up in your own image preview.

#20 atondex

atondex

• Designer
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

The design is good. I would emphasize the title more, by using a different font, or some contrasting colors to the rest of the design.

Nice work !

Edit: I am referring to your new layout.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users