Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Designs look different after Uploading??

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 tanu

tanu

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:17 AM

I used colors under the web safe option palette in my designing applications(photoshop, illus etc).Still there are times when it does not look the same after uploading.Seems like there may be version incompatibility issues.We need to adhere to the standards of DC.So what all things do you check(browser,resolutions etc ).

#2 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:29 AM

I used colors under the web safe option palette in my designing applications(photoshop, illus etc).Still there are times when it does not look the same after uploading.Seems like there may be version incompatibility issues.We need to adhere to the standards of DC.So what all things do you check(browser,resolutions etc ).

what is it that looks different? Is the the colors? Could you maybe show us a screen shot of your before and after views so that we can see the difference?
:) Brandy

#3 tanu

tanu

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:16 AM

ok, this is original design.....[ATTACH]7636[/ATTACH]

#4 tanu

tanu

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:18 AM

This is after reducing the size and uploading
[ATTACH]7637[/ATTACH]

#5 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:30 AM

what is your procedure? For example my procedure...design created in AI on the DC canvas, save as ai, Open it in photoshop, it will ask the size when you open an ai file in photoshop, 640x480 pixels 300 res. I then save it as a jpg. I don't change anything. Depending on what the CH wants...cmyk or rgb I change that in ai as to what ch wants. So in photoshop I open to what size I want or need then save as jpg. Doing this "you" have control as to what your entry will look like.

BTW no grey scale allowed in the black and section of the canvas

Like us on facebook

#6 tanu

tanu

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:32 AM

There are two problems noise and color.
1)
I generally test the colors (even after choosing web safe) by saving it in html page and uploading.Its time consuming.
2)
I understand that my design is unclear in itself.But still can you suggest what else could have been done to keep the design from loosing so much of details.The noise that showed up after converting into jpeg was a real dismay.I don't think reducing the size caused it alone.

#7 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:43 AM

what programs are you using. As I said I create in AI then open in photoshop to size and save as jpg. I don't bother with the web safe color stuff (maybe I should but I never have).

When you open a an ai or eps file in a program like photshop it asks you to size it before it opens. if you size it to exactly what you want there should be no change in the image

Like us on facebook

#8 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:48 AM

like Sharie said, we'll need more information about what program you are using to create your original design. It does not appear to be created using vectors, and therefor can't be entered into a logo contest anyway.

Please clarify...

#9 tanu

tanu

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

like Sharie said, we'll need more information about what program you are using to create your original design. It does not appear to be created using vectors, and therefor can't be entered into a logo contest anyway.

Please clarify...

I have created it using abode illustrator CS3,

1)I choose a blank document (letter size) by default,then design.

2)Then I open the canvas .ai file.I fit the design into it by copying .

3)finally i pick FILE->EXPORT->.jpg options to get by jpeg image.

#10 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:32 PM

well... sounds like you're doing exactly how I do it. Maybe the settings in your export dialogue box need to be adjusted.

I set my exported jpegs at 10 for quality, RGB, screen resolution.

Have you tried adjusting those settings?

#11 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

Well, here's my way.
after saving illustrator files as .ai
i always save files as a jpeg like this
file> save for web > i choose jpeg from the drop-down list & make resolution "maximum"
then i hit [save]
it looks like that everyone have a different was..but i find this one the simplest!!

for color changes..it happened to me too..when i copied my design to the DC canvas (which is alway at CMYK preview in my part..why i donno!!)
i notice that some of reflection ,gradients & transparent parts changes colors..
so i've converted the DC canvas to RGB preview & it didn't happen again :)
hope that helps ;)

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#12 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

Looks like I go about it the long complicated way compared you all. I use cs3 on this machine and sc4 on my other machine. When I create a new logo desin I open the DC canvas and work up the design right on it. when I open that file in phoshopshop at the 640x480 size 300 res it is sized exactly. when I save the photoshop file I leave it at the highest quality (12) .

To me this looks and sounds like a compression issue of some sorts. My curiosity is peaked wondering what is going on here.

Like us on facebook

#13 tanu

tanu

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

[]It works! It works! Yeepee ! Thank you so much.I am uploading the output from both the methods
using save for web option and photoshop..You see it for yourself.For me both of them worked.Exporting it directly is definitely hassle free
[ATTACH]7638[/ATTACH]
but with a little pain of bringing photoshop in the middle does save your design a lot more.
[ATTACH]7639[/ATTACH]

Edited by tanu, 07 June 2010 - 05:27 PM.

#14 tanu

tanu

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

[ATTACH]7640[/ATTACH] this is by save for web option

#15 ZukiH

ZukiH

Guru

• Designer
  • 1178 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

hehhe good for you.

Remember: black&white area is for b&w only with no blurred images or any gray-scale.
Good luck ;)

#16 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

I have always done the save in photoshop method-for me it is more like "what you see is what you get" and maybe it is just in my mind but I think I have more control of the design when I will be needing a jpg or other raster file format.

I have never used the saved for web...I don't like compression issues so sizing it right at the beginning I don't get the compression issues. I think we have all learned a little something here!

Like us on facebook

#17 shibin.b

shibin.b

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

that was a good explanation

#18 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

glad that every one is happy :)
@ sharie:i don't get the part about compression!!!
DC canvas is already the right size..right!!..so no compression in the process of saving for web & u can save it as any format u need to (jpeg / png / gif.....)
& for any other size or empty project u have only to customize it from the beginning to (640 x 480) or whatever..

am i missing anything?
bcuz i always get what i see this way!

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#19 shibin.b

shibin.b

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

i simply uploaded a jpeg file and it was ok... i think over care creates the problem...usual formats are enough

#20 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

JPEG image compression will allow programs to load faster for example aol top speed..they compress images to speed up. JPEG (pronounced "jay-peg") stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group, the original name of the committee that wrote the standard

JPEG is "lossy," meaning that the decompressed image isn't the same as the one you started with. lossiness can be varied by adjusting compression parameters. This means that the image maker can change file size against output image quality.If you aren't happy with the quality you can change or move up the quality until you are satisfied, and accept lesser compression which will take longer to load and be larger file size while remaing the same size in inches or pixels.

If you have a small jpg and look at it large you see all kinds of garbage..jpeg artifacts, pixeling and just plain ugly. Look at a average sized image with low quality output, high compression and you get ugly mixed color almost fuzzy looking images.

Another thing about jpg images......because you always lose something in a jpg alway keep a high res tiff or other file formats that will not lose anything (I do this with my photos). Each time you open a jpg your image will lose something and eventualy end up with an image that will be useless, ugly or useless.

glad that every one is happy :)
@ sharie:i don't get the part about compression!!!
DC canvas is already the right size..right!!..so no compression in the process of saving for web & u can save it as any format u need to (jpeg / png / gif.....)
& for any other size or empty project u have only to customize it from the beginning to (640 x 480) or whatever..

am i missing anything?
bcuz i always get what i see this way!

Like us on facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users