• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 slbergh

slbergh

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

I decided to work on my skills and redevelop my personal website. This is my first-ever all Flash site. I'm wondering what everyone thinks. Thanks!

my site

Oh, and I haven't finished adding the content to the Areas of Interest section yet.

#2 Pafl3a

Pafl3a

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:18 AM

hmmm, the design its look like a children/baby website

u can try to make something more professional, like a designer portofolio

but still, its a start, and its not so bad

#3 Carbon

Carbon

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

It's a pretty decent site :). I would recommend maybe a little more graphics or even colors. I can't seem to put a finger on what is lacking but there is something. Also I know this is your first flash site, but if you added some transition to all the change it would make the overall effect and image look better!

#4 4point7

4point7

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

Great start! I agree about the need for transitions or effects, though. Is your text all typed into the Flash, or are you getting it through XML?

I've been working with Flash for like a year now and still haven't been able to make a quality site based completely on Flash, so good work.

#5 slbergh

slbergh

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:37 AM

The text is all typed in. I may switch to XML, though, especially for my Areas of Interest. It'll be a whole lot easier to maintain. And I'm still trying to decide what kind of transitions I want to include. I know it still needs something...
There are two different kinds of people in this world: those who finish what they start, and
---Brad Ramsey

#6 Kooia

Kooia

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:35 AM

I'm thinking that you should make it a little larger - I'm not really a flash person, but when I design websites, I like to make the text area very wide. After all, over 90% of people have screens that are wider than 800px

#7 slbergh

slbergh

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the positive comments! I got a little sidelined while working on this and have had a chance to re-evaluate it. I'm still going to go with Flash and XML, but I'm working on a more polished design. I've had a few more successful Flash projects since I started all of this and I'm feeling pretty confident I can put together something sleek and professional.
There are two different kinds of people in this world: those who finish what they start, and
---Brad Ramsey

#8 Rockula

Rockula

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

Its a nice start, maybe too still to be a flash site, kinda seems html xD but thats alright, i would make the gallery more like a slideshow, i dont know if thats the right word xD

#9 goran.r

goran.r

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

a very good start, but lacks a little picture and the media

#10 The77Alliance

The77Alliance

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

Size in this case does matter, if the clients/vistors come to the site. It should be good to have work that is large enough so that they can see the details. Specially for web site examples.

#11 lena

lena

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

kewl idea but why using flash??? it's 2 still for flash, needs more dynamics, trasitions...
don't like design, it's not same style through site (titles, buttons, colors).
but it could be very got basis to make kewl flash site, more professional and designers look like...

keep on... can't wait to see new version.
every design needs designer

#12 The77Alliance

The77Alliance

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

I agree with Lena, now reason to fuss with Flash unless you are going to use it to its higher level. If you like the simpler look, you could always intergrate something like simple viewerr that is easy to update.

kewl idea but why using flash??? it's 2 still for flash, needs more dynamics, trasitions...
don't like design, it's not same style through site (titles, buttons, colors).
but it could be very got basis to make kewl flash site, more professional and designers look like...

keep on... can't wait to see new version.

#13 ctrl.alt.design

ctrl.alt.design

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

i like the fact that i didn't have to "skip intro" maybe play with the width of the lines to give it more of a dynamic feel and run with the line concept throughout?

#14 crystalh

crystalh

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

I feel that the site is a little disconnected. I think that it would look a lot cleaner if there was a rhyme or reason for the pink and green lines. It almost feels like an afterthought. It is kind of a frame but kind of not? I think if you used some different graphics on your home page (as previously stated), it would definitely make it more interesting. Maybe using a different color combination all together would help? I commend you though! I know my forte is designing, not so great at web development! Good job!

#15 vulcanwolf

vulcanwolf

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

really like the site keep up the good work :D

#16 melatte

melatte

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

Looks good.. as a few others mentioned already, for your gallery, some transition between graphics might be good. Perhaps try using a lightbox? (Or I could just be personally obsessed with lightboxes.. haha)

While the frame itself is nice, like crystalh said, it feels a little disconnected, I think you could help this by adding some graphics, or perhaps making the pink and green lines make some sort of image like a flower to go along with your leaf-shaped frame?

Overall, nicely done for a first website! :D

#17 rayzilla

rayzilla

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:49 AM

That's pretty sweet! Think I'll go study Flash now... -R!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users