• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#1 jrldorado

jrldorado

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

Hey, everyone!

here's something i whipped up this afternoon. it's been almost a year since i had a business card. Never had the chance to make a new one till now.

anyway, here it is! i hope you take time to comment on it. I would really appreciate it.

thank you! :)

#2 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:02 PM

Uhm I think if you resize this to 85mmx55mm allot of text will become unreadably small. Also think if you want to go pro would not use gmail or deviant art and start using own domain. Also not really that special, try to do something more with the comic design like a speech bubble with the info inside that your character is saying in a comicly font. Also use some halftones to make it more comic.

#3 jrldorado

jrldorado

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

Uhm I think if you resize this to 85mmx55mm allot of text will become unreadably small. Also think if you want to go pro would not use gmail or deviant art and start using own domain. Also not really that special, try to do something more with the comic design like a speech bubble with the info inside that your character is saying in a comicly font. Also use some halftones to make it more comic.

yeah I know. having deviantart for the online portfolio site is embarassing. I have commissioned my buddies to do our official site but it's taking a long time to finish due to our busy schedules. i guess i'm gonna have to find alternatives.

I also realized the font size would be too small when resized but i went for it anyway. i guess that was bad. I haven't tried printing it out yet coz i ran out of ink! hahaha! i think i'd try to print out a resized version first, and then make the necessary adjustments. do you have any suggestions for the size? I'm not very happy about the font i used for my name either what font do you think should i use?

about the halftones though, that's something i haven't incorporated in any of my previous works. but that's an interesting idea. although i'm gonna have to practice using it first.

thanks so much chung dha! appreciate it, man!

#4 suh00ail00

suh00ail00

• Designer
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:34 AM

nice comic business card i love it ! its reall funny though.
http://www.suhails.com/ - In Creativity We Trust â„¢
http://www.suhails.com/blog/ - Official graphic design Blog
http://www.getyourreview.com - Online Review and previews for Nintendo DS and PSP

#5 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:11 PM

don't go any smaller then 7 px

#6 jrldorado

jrldorado

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

nice comic business card i love it ! its reall funny though.

thanks, pal.

#7 julhenke

julhenke

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

I think, to be readable, needs to be at least 8.
Indeed, the font you used for your name looks like much conservative. Try use something simpler to give the comic mood.

#8 awhipl

awhipl

• Designer
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

I like the style however I'd use that style as the basis of the card. Rather than just throwing the drawing on top, make the card itself a frame from a strip. You could incorporate the information into the frame to make it more interesting.

In my opinion it's better to have an interesting and effective business card even if your card doesn't have the stereotypical look of most business cards.

#9 gdeetan

gdeetan

• Designer
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:48 AM

select a more readable font, I can't see the 4 websites on the buttom left. A little bit too cluttered IMO.

#10 Dongerz

Dongerz

• Designer
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:06 PM

I think minimum font size depends on the font. I've gone down to 6 and still have it be readable. I don't always recommend going that small but if the client wants a lot of info sometimes you have no choice. Just make sure your resolution is high enough to hold the detail.

Anyway, nice illustrative work but will be of no value if you can't read the text.

#11 the_saint

the_saint

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:06 AM

Hi,
Nice start.

My 2 cents..
If you really want to emphasize on your comic creation skills, then my suggestions would be to go in for the entire card to be a frame of a comic strip with all the information in either speech bubbles of the comic text style.

The logo could be in the "BOOM..." style and your name could be the title of the strip and rest of the information in speech bubbles and the contact details in the backdrop etc....

Just thinking aloud...

#12 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:53 AM

I'm not sure you should go to stereotypical "comic" look for your business card. In the illustration business, your product is your style. Don't advertise a style that you aren't comfortable using.

have you checked out moo.com? They have minicards that are pretty reasonably priced. They're half the size of a standard business card, but I think they're pretty effective. You can place different images onthe back of the cards - a great way to show actual pieces.

#13 jrldorado

jrldorado

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

hey! thank you so much to everyone. I appreciate you taking time to give your feedback about my work.

I have made some changes in my card already. Actually, I just replaced the fonts and their sizes. There was no significant change in the layout and design, only the letters. I kinda like it to be this way.

I also made a new portfolio site t put in here, following chung_dha's suggestion. It's actually a blog which I modified to look like somewhat, a website. It's not practical for me to maintain a web host just yet, so I opted for a free blog domain. "i.ph" sounds a lot better than Deaviantart I think.
See it here: Unsupported Browser

@the_saint:
I already made the card you described. It was my last card before this one. I thought I'd try something new this time. It worked like a charm before though!

@jecrt:
thanks for the tip! I check out the site. Lot's of great ideas there. :)

thanks again people!

Edited by jrldorado, 15 January 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#14 jack.sinai

jack.sinai

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

Hi,

This a great looking card, i want to invite to print your cards in our printing house, i am sure it will turn out great :)

Jack

#15 jrldorado

jrldorado

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

This a great looking card, i want to invite to print your cards in our printing house, i am sure it will turn out great :)

Jack

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by this? are you saying you have a printing press and that i can go there to have my card printed?

#16 jack.sinai

jack.sinai

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:01 AM

Yes, our press is on-line, where you can upload your file and recieve it to your house. DCP Print

I'll be happy to help you:)

#17 Icarus

Icarus

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree that some of this text is WAY too small.

#18 mx_christian17

mx_christian17

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

I like the graphic, but I think that it have a lot of colours for a bussines card

#19 HWorks

HWorks

• Designer
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:18 PM

Shows in one image your talent, which ain't easy. Nice idea, maybe you should try to clean out the left part of the card and resizing textes to make reading easier.

Nice one, anyway!

#20 Bernadette

Bernadette

• Designer
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

stick to simplicity ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: business card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users