• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

We get this a lot from contestholders....Had one contestholder last week report a design that was leading in his contest, the ch was viewing some other contests , viewed a design in an open contest that is very much like the one he had as leader in his contest (same designer)

We have this happen both ways, this designer cut his own throat by entering a design in one contest changing it "slightly" I mean very slight changes, the ch viewed this reported the design and eliminated the design he loved because this designer was not giving him something original. This is why we do not allow the same design to be used in open contests.

as far as entries left in closed contests MANY, I mean MANY clients will refer to a design in a contest ask us to send an invite to that designer or even tell that designer in a comment I liked your entry in contest "abc" can you do something like that. SO it is a "good" thing for you designers to have those entries their for the clients to see. If a client views an entry in a closed contest that is close to what the entry in current contest we then tell the contestholder you have "every" right to use the design, it was not a winner in a contest and designer still own the rights to that design. We have said this before, the ch then turned around and picked the design as a winner, they just wanted to make sure there was no copyright issue

We have had contestholder report a design in their contest that is exactly like a design on another contest site, this has had many times as well as seeing the design for sell in some of these other contest sites logo store, you no those premade generic logos for sale......

So you see there will always be an issue of some kind no matter what the policy is.

Like us on facebook

#22 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

Babba I would need to know what contest you refer to so I can take a look

Like us on facebook

#23 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36575 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

In order to some of your points/fact, it would be good thing to implement new feature in DC "ready made logos" or generic logos, like you said. I would love to do that... that way I would still have my portfolio and proven design regarding copyright issue.

#24 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36575 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

1st case:
Infiniti Beverage Group (IBG) - Page 2
vs.:
DFW Watches

2nd case:
Houses Canada
vs. at this moment blind end extended contest:
Logo required for New Company Commission Solutions

#25 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Babba I have no idea what you want me to look at in these contests?
I know ... that in the house of Canada contest I have removed all the designs reported as copied

I do not know what you are wanting me to look at I need entry numbers to compare what you want me to see, please be specific

Like us on facebook

#26 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

"The designers own all rights to their Contest Entries on this Website, and can withdraw them anytime unless they have won and the Contest has been paid for by the Contest Holder, in which case, all the right pertaining to the deliverables shall be transferred to the Contest Holder."

To withdraw IS A RIGHT of the designers, covered by the international intellectual property law...
There is no way to restrict this.

If a designer want to take away a design, he/she can always do it.

#27 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

about message #24

Logo Design #278 by wengcharl2011 for Houses Canada

and

Logo Design #321 by wengcharl2011 for Logo required for New Company Commission Solutions

#28 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36575 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Good eye ArsOrum:)
It does have same second biggest element in the logo. Can't tell whether it can't or can be used on 2 different contest... I'm not sure, but I would definitely be more careful about it.

#29 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36575 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

ArsOrum, I would like to show you something, funny... not about DC, I'll post in "Hangout"... ok?

#30 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

In the above message, replied to Babba and designers, there is (one) some example(s) of what is going on when someone asks in the comment box, to make it Blind; in the very beginning, first that he/she can send proposal or in the worst of the cases, after 4 days it has started.

Blind contests are good when the Contest Holder has written a good brief and gives guidelines, but from what we have noticed, some designer uses this modality to propose the same design in different contests simultaneously.

further example:

(Blind contest ) http://www.designcon...quity/entry/72/

(Open contest) http://www.designcon...-logo/entry/13/

A good thing should be to make the Contest Holder decide from the beginning if to make it Blind or not, without the possibility to change it after ... so to avoid these situations and to respect fairly the Designers that started working with certain specific rules.

#31 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36575 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Regarding changing blind into open, I don't think that will change, ArsOrum.
It is in the best interest for the CH.

Still, another issue, of same proposals for 2 clients, while they are still running their contests, is a big problem, and matter of professionalism, ethics and honor. As you noticed, it usually happens on blind ones. I'm wondering what will happen if designer win both contests. What a shame that would be for DC.

#32 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Yes Babba, it would be a shame in general...
We also understand that the possibility to change the typology of Contest (blind or open) is of interest for the CH.
And this is the problem...there are too many things for the CHS and just a little for the designers...
This should be a place for the designers principally...they are the ones who do the works, they are the ones that attract the new clients...
No good designers = no good clients.
Its really simple.
Would be not complicated to explain at the CH in the beginning of a contest the two types of Contests and their relative pros and cons...
so that he/she could choose the prefered one related to his/her necessities.
In this way al the designers would be under the same rules...
All of us knows that there are many designers that just steal other designs and concepts and sometimes also win with the creation of someone else that already sold that specific design... everyone knows that when a contest is blind there is a bigger use of cliparts, stockart and things like that because it is more difficult to catch them....also, all we know that, when a contest is blind, you are more disponible to explain better your design and concept to the CH and this is because you know that you are "safer" from all the profiteers.... So it is really not good and not ethical that after a bunch of minutes, the contest become open so that everyone can steal from the others.... As you said, professionalism, ethic and honor...are all stranger words for many "designers" or better "self-called designers".
There are always alternatives, the important is the "will" to change....possibly in better...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users