Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Which do you prefer blind contest or public?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 Javed

Javed

Banned

• Banned
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

I also like blind contest because its always good that only CH can see your work. .. :)

#22 Jera

Jera

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

Blind contest will be the best. NO COPYING OF IDEAS AND EXCITING TO SEE WHAT IS THE DESIGN OF THE OTHER DESIGNERS :)

#23 dansheva

dansheva

• Designer
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

i like blind contest..i hope all contest in DC is blind...

#24 mkc23

mkc23

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:54 AM

I prefer blind contests as well. However as someone already pointed out, it's frustrating to know how you are off on something if all the CH marks your entry as "the client says you are moving in the wrong direction" I know it would be hard but it would be nice for the CH's to give more specific feedback when the contest is blind. When it's open you can get sense of what they are looking for especially when the briefs are so vague.

#25 Doxus

Doxus

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

I think blind contests the best way for showing out your skills and creativity. It’s like a contest against yourself —always you grow up, always you win. And, eventually, you win some money too. There you stand alone: just you, the white space, and yourself. Well… it is enough crew for stand alone. It’s like to take a final college exam.

The public contest maybe is a best way for learning from other designer’s experience, skills… and mistakes. The amount and quality of experience and skills we can share… makes us humans. The fear for being copied —I believe— is a sign for lack of confidence. There is an insoluble contradiction behind it: art creation (despite all the personal, private, it may look), is a social process. No less social than the learning process. And earnings from that creation… are private. There are you, and no-you irreducible in regarding the money.

I have not contested yet. But I hope I will participate in both, public and blind. I love illustrate… our thinking is our echo from reality, our illustration of the world.

"Illustrate ergo sum." :rolleyes:

#26 riavakani

riavakani

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

I prefer blind contest..

#27 YESHdesignworks

YESHdesignworks

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

Absoulately blind contest... I'm new on DC and I've already partecipated 2 contests... In both of them unfortunately I saw the same thing... After some positive comments on a design, you see that many similar designs start to be submitted then:mad:

#28 aki

aki

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

i prefer blind contest, its secure and fair result, no complain of copying others designs..

#29 notji143

notji143

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

blind contest encourages every designers to make his/her own imagination and creatives as to what the contest is all about

#30 valmoser

valmoser

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

Definitely blind contest! It keeps the competition fair by obviously, as mentioned, preventing last minute entries from designers who hover around, waiting to see what is more appealing to the client.
The brief should be clear and to the point and the prize equally worth our time & effort.

#31 Bailey

Bailey

• Designer
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

Honestly I think it really depends on the ch. I feel like I've taken too many shots in the dark with blind contest because the CH brief is well too brief. Or they say one thing and actually wanted something completely different. Though I do like that they prevent copy cats I really do like to have a general feel of what style the CH wants in the general sense of font (serif no serif, script) and colors, and for that I like public contests. I just had a really good experience in a contest where the CH rated their top twenty near the end with all the same amount of points that way designers had a feel of what they were looking for but it prevented too much copying.

#32 valmoser

valmoser

• Designer
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

[.... I just had a really good experience in a contest where the CH rated their top twenty near the end with all the same amount of points that way designers had a feel of what they were looking for but it prevented too much copying.[/QUOTE]

I very much agree with this approach: if rating points are only given close to the end, it does prevent last minute entries thus keeping the competition "clean". Good point!

#33 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Honestly I think it really depends on the ch. I feel like I've taken too many shots in the dark with blind contest because the CH brief is well too brief. Or they say one thing and actually wanted something completely different. Though I do like that they prevent copy cats I really do like to have a general feel of what style the CH wants in the general sense of font (serif no serif, script) and colors, and for that I like public contests. I just had a really good experience in a contest where the CH rated their top twenty near the end with all the same amount of points that way designers had a feel of what they were looking for but it prevented too much copying.

That is a pain I know all too well. Although I prefer blind over public, there are times where I feel the CH and myself are just going in circles; it can get frustrating when you really don't have a sense of what is expected.

#34 Dalband

Dalband

Banned

• Banned
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

blind contest is better

#35 Hossuno

Hossuno

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Blind contests, but I don't look at designs anyway, just read a brief onand submit, then look. That way I know I didn't get any ideas from anyone else, just the brief and my mind.

#36 aime

aime

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I prefer blind contest..

#37 fantasthink

fantasthink

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

A blind contest is the best for the designers. But I'm not sure if its as good for the CH. Yes, public contest are always have the risk of coppied entries and those coppies MUST be eliminated from the contest. But one step further of copying there is improving. Designers can benefit from the leading designs and the eliminated entries in the contest to understand the CH's likes and dislikes and generate works that more suits the taste of CH. This is a great advantage for CH to get more alternatives on the right path. And also it gives more chance for the honest designers when the contest brief is not so clear about this issues and CH is not active on commenting to direct the designer to the right path.

So public or not, copying is a matter of ethics and moral and the a person should avoid this immoral act for his or her reputation. But chance for creating the best design that suits the needs of the CH is more in public contests.

#38 iNoesis

iNoesis

• Designer
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Obviously blind contest when I participate... :)

#39 fantasthink

fantasthink

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

I have to add another advantage of a public contest. Designer Court is one of the most effective part of this forum. How designers can report the copycats if they can't see the entries? We have to consider this with the blind contests.

#40 PeachyKeenWeb

PeachyKeenWeb

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

I almost prefer public contests.

I had a poor experience with a blind contest. The CH had a brief that stated a preference for a logo with an icon. I submitted a text-style logo early on -- no icon -- because it worked. For the entire duration of the contest, I had the top-rated design, and the CH kept saying how much she loved the simplicity. Then, suddenly, she wasn't so sure about the font -- she was afraid it may have been too "common," but she liked the icon-less design. So, the last day, she changed the brief and actually uploaded a jpg of a design where she had basically recreated my work and asked for designers to submit icon-less designs similar to her upload. She had no idea what she wanted when she wrote the brief, but after working with me, she was able to narrow her focus. Since the contest was blind, no one knew that she was asking others to essentially plagiarize my work. If it had been a public contest, that never could have happened.

Public contests keep everyone honest. Sure, sometimes designers get tunnel vision when others' work is in front of you, but I try to submit early on to avoid that problem. Generally, if a contest already has more than 20-30 designs submitted, I usually don't even bother, because in my experience, the first designs seem to influence a CH's mindset. Also, by getting my first design in early, I avoid any claims of plagiarism by another contestant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users