Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Which do you prefer blind contest or public?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#41 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

I almost prefer public contests.

I had a poor experience with a blind contest. The CH had a brief that stated a preference for a logo with an icon. I submitted a text-style logo early on -- no icon -- because it worked. For the entire duration of the contest, I had the top-rated design, and the CH kept saying how much she loved the simplicity. Then, suddenly, she wasn't so sure about the font -- she was afraid it may have been too "common," but she liked the icon-less design. So, the last day, she changed the brief and actually uploaded a jpg of a design where she had basically recreated my work and asked for designers to submit icon-less designs similar to her upload. She had no idea what she wanted when she wrote the brief, but after working with me, she was able to narrow her focus. Since the contest was blind, no one knew that she was asking others to essentially plagiarize my work. If it had been a public contest, that never could have happened.

Public contests keep everyone honest. Sure, sometimes designers get tunnel vision when others' work is in front of you, but I try to submit early on to avoid that problem. Generally, if a contest already has more than 20-30 designs submitted, I usually don't even bother, because in my experience, the first designs seem to influence a CH's mindset. Also, by getting my first design in early, I avoid any claims of plagiarism by another contestant.

That's terrible :( it's frustrating when that happens. You should have brought it to the attention of one of the mods or talked to someone via live chat. But this sometimes happens with public contests too, not just blind ones

#42 omARTist

omARTist

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

blind contest of course .. =)

#43 ozie

ozie

Banned

• Banned
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

blind contest as long as the Contest Holder has a very good brief, avoid copy cats.

#44 slickjesus

slickjesus

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Perhaps this has been a point of discussion and I've not seen it. I would really like blind contests (which I think are wonderful) to be unveiled at their completion. I'm more curious to see the ideas generated "fresh" from working blindly. Anyone else feel the same?

#45 JJ181

JJ181

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

I think Blind Contests are more fair, but I prefer to see the open ones I think because it gives me a little insight in to what the CH likes / doesn't like, what sort of things might appeal / not appeal to them. (:

#46 savina

savina

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 1290 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Big part of the contests I participated in were:
open contest- clear brief, a lot of feedbacks, in part of them CH has some idea what he wants
blind - poor brief, CH didn't have an idea what he wants, poor feedbacks
I participated in few blind contests and maybe I had bad luck but I think it is better to be opposite :)

I am new here but aren't you all too "copy" afraid. I think of DC as a place where you create, get some apreciation, learn and show your work (and earn some money sometimes) not as a place full of copycats and scared designers that always want to hide their work not to be copied. Of course other desings shouldn't be copied and there is a DC court for this. Maybe I haven't seen enough yet But I hope to keep my vision of DC :)

#47 savina

savina

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 1290 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

Pleace do not think I tolerate copying. After I wrote this many people started copying my designs :). I will report everybody who's copying me!

#48 dologo

dologo

• Designer
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Blind competitions is much more fair, since there are a lot of copycats here. But a blind contest also means that the CH must comment each and every submitted design if he/she want great results.

#49 Vic

Vic

Banned

• Banned
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

As designer i prefer public contests because you can see CH's predilection.

#50 at8

at8

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

I prefer public contests, because I can see if my design was done by an other designer, so that I won't use it, and will think of a new design.

#51 zanito

zanito

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

I think dologo is right. blind contests are good, but the CH has to give feedback if our designs are in the right direction or its going nowhere.

#52 dologo

dologo

• Designer
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

"CH's predilection" should be in the breif I think. I the "real" world of design and advertising that's how it works. You don't get to see the other agencys ideas och designs. You have to trust your own judgment.

I think the open contests just makes it easier to se if the CH has good taste or not so that I waste my time on the right CH's:-)

#53 dologo

dologo

• Designer
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:53 AM

I think dologo is right. blind contests are good, but the CH has to give feedback if our designs are in the right direction or its going nowhere.

Thanks Zanito! All contest should be blind!

#54 Loly

Loly

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

My vote go to blind contest. Designers cant copying others idea.

#55 VladTodirut

VladTodirut

• Designer
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

each one has its pros and cons, Blind is good because it gives you freedom to do what ever you want without being accused that you copied someone, for example: when you have a logo idea, u have to check all the previous entries to see if anyone did that, and its tricky if someone did it but in a bad bad way.

Public contests are good because u can get a better feel on what the CH is looking for, more on the graphic side then on the concept one.

#56 tey3ciatsa

tey3ciatsa

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

i wish all the contest are blind.. it burst the creativity..

#57 jlc

jlc

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

Depends blind is good but so is open because open allows for the client to get the best result because of the designers collaborative efforts but blind is good because of the fact that you can avoid other designers copying. So basically blind is good for the designer but open is good for the client.

#58 ohi

ohi

• Designer
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

Of course - blind.
Because in open coentests I have great ideas, which then copy the others. :/
[center]my portoflio http://bob-project.deviantart.com[/cneter]

#59 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Public contest - I want to know with who I compete with. :)

#60 vibrasphere

vibrasphere

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

I'd say blind contests should be by default. What I remember from public contests is that when someone comes up with original idea and contest holder tells that he likes it then all the others runs with the same idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users