&nsbp;

#1 crabios

crabios

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:27 AM

Hello Senior Photographer,

I want to learn photography but I don't know where to start? :confused:
can you provide any advice or links where learning photography?
might as well buy a camera tips? also basic techniques?

If for business, where is the place for photographers to make money?
I appreciate any answers..,

Thank you
David

#2 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:15 AM

Hi there

Start taking photos : )

that is the best way to begin. Start taking photos of anything, even if it might be boring subject. Practice,practice and more practice.

Don't rely on photoshop to "fix" your photos you need to learn "how" to take a photo first, then start playing with photoshop.

Once you are familiar with your camera then the real fun begins. Some people are very loyal to certain brands of cameras, I myself have be loyal to sony. I love the image quality of sony, Most "pro photogs" will say either Nikon or Cannon But I have to say I have made a lot of money with my sony cameras.

A little story of how I got into photography and selling my photos.........

I bought my first digital camera (never shot traditional film) to take photos of my show dogs back in 1996 I think it was. Had a ton of fun taking these dog photos and took many I mean MANY photos. One day we had to take my car in for new tires (at this point I was hooked and took my camera everywhere) Well while waiting for the new tires to be put on the car I walked over to the lovely huge fish tank. Light bulb popped up over my head : ) I took many photos of the fish in that tank, had a blast. Some turned out some needed quite a bit of help.

I decided I wanted to learn more about taking photos of fish so I went to the local large chain pet store and asked if I could take photos of the fish and reptiles. I did this often. There is quite a learning curve when taking photos of fish, you have to deal with the lighting in the store and not use flash plus most of the time you are in macro mode for those close up shots plus you have the tank glass and water to deal with..... I got very good at it and started having these fish and reptile photos printed off and then took them back to the store and gave them to the manager at that time (I had my name and number on the back--- you never know ) One day I got a call asking if I was interested in taking Ad and display photos and newspaper flyer insert shots ect..... well I couldn't turn that down MAde some nice money doing that.

The macro (close up ) shots is what I really enjoy so I started looking at my own backyard, taking photos of flowers , weeds, dirt you name it! I started submitting these flower photos to better homes and garden magazine specials ect , they started buying them.

You can go to a book store and look for a book called photographers market a great book of listings and how to on selling your photography.

One thing I did was join a photographers club online as well as in person. Some online options you have could be photo critique sites, one is photoSIG » Main this is a site where you submit your photos and other photogs critique your shot, you are required though to critique other photogs photos as well. There are many of this type of site out there. I also joined Photography Classes Online: Have a photography pro at your side - online, all the time! One of my favorite photos on betterphoto.com The Tear - Photograph at BetterPhoto.com

I also have many flower photos on my facebook page Sharie Voss | Facebook

I don't take many photos right now but will again soon. I love photography and I know you will as well! Don't give up and keep shooting, practice and practice and read as much as you can about all types of photography and techniques. Once you find what subject you are interested, hone in on it : )

Like us on facebook

#3 Zerbo

Zerbo

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hi Poss,

Sharie said best ... pick up any camera and shoot :). All the other suggestions are right on point as well. Thank you for your reach out and if you have the passion .. it is just a matter of time. Here few goodies to pack into your new camera bag ... hope you find them helpful.

Click the shutter as if you only get one click. When you look through the view finder of any camera ... be conscious of exactly what you are seeing. Here are a few question to consider. Is the view finder frame filled with what I want to see ? To close- to far away ? Where is the horizon line? Is it straight or crooked ? Where is the light coming from ? Where are the shadows ? Does a natural contrast provide good separation ? Where is the point of focus? Texture or pattern ? Rough or smooth ? And on and on ...

This process will help you to slow down and study each shot as if it is the only shot you get. The bi-product will result in beginning to design a image while practicing. Consider targeting a half a dozen different subjects. For example: close up head & shoulder of a face, a scenic, a really close up, a building, a product, etc.. In each image choose colors that are completely different from each other. This will help train the eye to use colors to your advantage. Use any camera available because the goal is to study the inside of the view finder as if it were a micro-scope. By training the eye to see what is actually there will make the difference between a snap shot, a photograph or an image.

Earning money with a camera is a two part game. First, regardless of how good or bad, experienced or not a shooter earning money is selling time. Secondly, a tangible item ... be it a cd, hardcopy, email, or any means of the transfer of the image is a product and has value. One should be paid for both ... even if it is small amount for each. Using this model will continuously remind you that your photography has a value.

Rambling on will only take you away from the camera ... so ... shoot, shoot, shoot - like design, quality over quantity. We have all been guilty of rushing a bit by default. Change that default early in the game and it will make you a better shooter in the long run. Before long ... any camera, any place, any lighting, any subject ... " you got this " - Happy shooting :)

#4 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:31 AM

I forgot to mention a tip that can make or break a close up photo..... LEts say you see something and you just have to have that close up or macro shot but did not bring any kind of tripod or stabilizer (movement, any kind of movement with close up shots will completely ruin the shot!) So one thing you can do is ready your yourself, that means to get ready, just before you click take a breath in and hold it, you will momentarily freeze long enough to get the shot.

There are MANY tips and little tricks for all types of photography but the most important and can not be stressed enough is practice, shoot, practice shoot over and over, also good idea to bore the h*** out of your friends and family with your photos, they can tell what what looks good what doesn't even if they are not photographers.

Composition -- I am a composition freak Balance is important (to me any ways) If I take a photo of a person I don't center that person I off set, there are many many guides as to composition and balance. When taking photos of people or animals/pets ALWAYS always look at the surrounding area. You do not want to end up with a limb growing out of a persons head for example or you don't want an outhouse off to the side of a formal portrait that type of thing.

You will also find everyone has an opinion : ) One thing that helped me was take a bit from all or none from some and apply or try to apply a little at a time

Remember though have fun, if you love what you do the rest will follow

Like us on facebook

#5 crabios

crabios

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hi Sharie,

Thank you for your first opinion, it helped me to know initial steps photographer.
Now I only have a pocket camera :( and it looks like I got interested in the world of photography, so I want to have a better camera to take an object. many who advised me to buy "CANON EOS 600D Kit2" they say this is good for beginners.
I have no idea at all about the camera. According to you in terms of what I see a product that's good? Image Resolution or Lens? and what cameras that fit me? I have a budget of $1000 to buy a camera. What I have to spend it all for camera? or divide also for camera accessories? :confused:

When the camera has been fulfilled. that way I'll have a new activity to get out have fun to search for the object. :o

#6 crabios

crabios

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Hi Zerbo,

wow, you give really useful for me, thanks a lot. :D
It seems you are experienced in this field. are you a photographer?

so far I do not know how to take a good photo :( , and it looks like I'll be actively ask here after I bought a new camera. :o
Maybe you have tips to buy a camera? or you can see my previous post.

Thanks Zerbo..,

#7 Zerbo

Zerbo

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Never enough gear, gadgets etc. in the bag :). With that said - I have many, just bought two Cannon 650d or T4i cameras. The fit in the bag nicely. The difference as I understand that to be is that the newer 650d will host a new style lens " STM ". The kit comes with a non STM and a new STM lens. If you go this direction ... hold out for the STM lens kit. They are had to come by as Cannon had a recall on that camera just released in June. Any lens kit with the second number in the serial number with a " 3 " is defective. So, for awhile it will hard to track one down, but they are out there ( about $1250 US ). I am not pitching Cannon ... I was just providing insight to your thought of the 600d. Cannon has just released two other new STM lenses ... but, they are not in my bag yet.

To address your post : Yes, I have put my feet on the ground daily and make a living with a camera / computer for awhile now. I am certain you can take a GREAT photo ( just some better than others ). Sharrie's thought about other opinions was again dead on. Photography is in the family of the arts. It is subjective, some like an image ... some don't. Learn to stand tall ( inside of yourself ) about what you know to be good and this will begin to help form your style.

Like really making the effort to become a better design ... it really helps to learn the technical side of things. That dreaded study! But, there really is something to be said for applying yourself to what you set out to do. The learning curve in shooting is easier than say Adobe Illustrator. One reason may be - Shooting provides us an instant visual, instant gratification ... so, we are studying on the fly. In contrast is Illustrator - it requires us to technically learn the program while having to think about the design, the create it ... to learn we do not like that one and start all over. It slows the creative process down and helps us to think about what we are doing. Don't miss understand, there is value in being in the moment working on the fly ... cameras clicking and the lights popping, and some how that provides a sort of entertainment to our souls.

Famous shooters will set in a tree or on the side of a mountain and wait for that second when the shot(s) are perfect, others will get arrested to get the shot, other find value in documenting history understanding the value will not be discovered until many years after they are gone. No matter where ( we ) ( you ) fit. Your images matter ... like many ... you will find that lane to merge onto and hang there until you are sure with yourself ... and in no time at all, you will be in the fast like trying to keep us like the rest of the world :)

No matter ... put that pocket camera to work :) - Work it so hard it breaks and you have to treat yourself to the new DSLR - you deserve it. Z

#8 FullHeads

FullHeads

• Designer
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

all said before is true and you got good advices here, i just add tha if you are about learning photograthy as art form, contenporary photography, the best way to start learning is using film camera with fixed lens (50mm) this will concentrate you on picture and idea you doing instead of using endless features on DSLR, also consider a darkroom this will give you understanding the core to art of light,
If you are in adv photography , digital is better for more productivity

#9 sunface

sunface

• Designer
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hi Posspoint
Visit
100 Helpful Photography Tutorials for Beginners and Professionals
50 Incredible Photography Techniques and Tutorials | Smashing Magazine

#10 ruta12j

ruta12j

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

does anyone know good websites for stock imagery. I know the usual ones. Looking for something new and unexpected.. also something thats 'affordable' for students.

#11 Eraser

Eraser

• Designer
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hello Posspoint
Visit and Best wishes to become a best photographer
How to Take Portraits – 19 Portrait Photography Tutorials
DSLR photography tutorials, workshops, lessons, tips, advice | DSLR Tips
100 Helpful Photography Tutorials for Beginners and Professionals

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camera, learning, photographer, techniques, tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users