• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

I've been working on a design for a customer of mine and they wanted a derby truck on a shirt with some wording. So I hand drew a truck and then Vectorized it and then I found a nice font that went with the design I was going for....but for some reason the truck doesn't have enough depth. And I was wondering what you all thought and maybe you could give me some suggestions.

Thanks,
Squewheet

Attached File  shafferderby.jpg   56.57KB   195 downloads

#2 DMahannah

DMahannah

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

You might try adding the tires on the far side of the truck. From the perspective you've drawn, it seems to me you'd be able to see them somewhat. Or perhaps redraw the truck at a different angle. Maybe rotate it towards the viewer another 20 degrees or so? Or try adding just a little bit of shading? Just some thoughts.

#3 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

Thanks, I have started on another truck design. When I get it done I will upload to show it.

#4 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

I would chill out with the tires and the seat, look like they do not belong there, too detailed, specially the tires... other is great!:)

#5 notji143

notji143

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

its great!

#6 jecrt

jecrt

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

I think the side-view rendering is making it feel a little static (which, I'm assuming, is why you put the graphic / type at a slight angle...) Maybe try a different angle & add some texture to the background to bring the truck forward? Also - I'd rotate your halftones to 45 desgrees. Here's a quick thumbnail to show you what I mean:

Attached File  Screen Shot 2012-09-18 at 12.11.14 PM.jpg   134.89KB   236 downloads

Edited by jecrt, 18 September 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#7 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

Here is my new truck design. I talked to the Customer and they wanted some minor changes. But this is what i have came up with.

Posted Image

#8 Diab

Diab

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:32 AM

I think the reason you're not getting enough depth to it is because it is missing shading. Each of the three sides of the truck seen from this angle (your latest drawing) should have a different shade of yellow.

I am also confused a bit about why it looks as if the truck is all beaten up. Is this what was wanted?

#9 Squewheet

Squewheet

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Well the reason it looks all beaten up is because.........the truck is demo derby truck. And I have kept it to 3 colors just for printing purposes. I would add more colors but it in turn make it more costly for the customer.

#10 AleksaDesign

AleksaDesign

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

I was going to suggest shading also, but I see what you mean about the cost. I like that the truck is beaten up, but maybe it's TOO beaten up? If you can find a way to make the truck look a bit more tough/muscular yet still have scratches, etc., it might work. I hope that helps!

#11 dlbonanno64

dlbonanno64

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

Great Truck. Your second one is better. More perspective.

#12 AmyD

AmyD

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

i like your second truck better, but I still think it should be rotated more to the front like jecrt suggested, but maybe not quite as much. And I agree with Aleksa, maybe just a little too much beaten up. Finally the bed of the truck doesn't quite fit with the rest somehow. Can't put my finger on it though. Hope these suggestions are helpful. Anxious to see your revisions. Best, AAttached File  scooby lg.jpg   17.25KB   151 downloads

#13 todd120681

todd120681

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

It's too horizontal to achieve the depth you desire. A more dynamic angle like the drawing that "jecrt" drew above would help. If it's only going to be on a T-shirt, then that would be the way to go. But if it's going to be a sign, you may want to find an angle between the drawing above and your horizontal illustration. That way people can tell from far that it is a truck. But don't worry about depth unless the client asks for it. lol Good luck man!

#14 WebStar

WebStar

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Good job

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users