• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 onesummer

onesummer

Guru

• Designer
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:35 PM

Looking into getting an LCD and retiring my Sony 19" crt. any suggestions on what lcd would do best for mainly doing web/graphics design work in macromedia and photoshop software? I'd like to keep price between $200 and $600

#2 wynlim

wynlim

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:24 PM

You should check out Dell's Ultrasharp series LCD Monitors, they pretty good for value, plus it uses the same hardware from the Apple Cinema Display, for half the price! :)

#3 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:59 AM

I would have to agree...probably dell i guess some of the smaller sony ones are cool too and they fit in the price range mostly...i was going to say that the apple 30inch Cinema Display would be the best but it is like 4G Australian lol have fun....

wynlim...does dell actually use the same technology as the apple screen...i didnt know that...that is cool...ive been savign up for a apple but looks like i might not have too if dell is the same....do you have any info? cheers
www.uiom.com.au
simple and effective design solutions

#4 wynlim

wynlim

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:10 AM

Yeap the Dell uses the same LG.phillps LCD panel that the Apple display uses. If you're interested you can read the article by Anandtech, where it did a comparison between the two displays, and the Dell actually edged out the Apple in the shootout. Anandtech is one of the leading hardware reviewers around, so we can safely trust its opinion. :p

I also did some research around some Apple forums and the mac users are recommending the Dell strongly as well. Plus Dell seems to run some coupon promos every now and then so I think you can get the monitor at a pretty amazing price. :)

#5 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 04:13 AM

thanks so much....im going to give the article a read...so i guess you use a dell screen
? lol
www.uiom.com.au

#6 wynlim

wynlim

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 04:18 AM

I wanted to get one lol :p But I ended up buying the imac that comes with a screen haha. I'll get one for my PC soon though.

#7 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:07 PM

I'm sitting looking at a DELL right now, myself, and it isn't too bad at all. Though at home, I have a NEC and I'm tellin ya those things LAST. Just the other day I spotted a computer store with 7 year old NEC's perfect condition, screen res is great. Every time I look at LCD's that are the same size as mine, I can always see the difference (other than these DELL ones) that mine is sharper :p

So basically my list is:
1. NEC 17"
2. DELL 17"

#8 magneto-ms

magneto-ms

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:30 PM

Is the samsung syncmaster 713n any good..?

#9 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:51 PM

I'm about to ugrade to a two 17" monitor set ($699...includes both monitors stand and card for computer) but if you check out tiger direct they have a few 19" LCD's for like $300 www.tigerdirect.com I just saw them the other day.
www.uniment1.com :: Design Services

#10 amchan

amchan

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

Wow, this has been really helpful information, since I've been thinking about getting an LCD monitor myself. Thank you, everyone!

#11 vfxguy

vfxguy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:38 AM

i too recommend the DELL range of monitors i have a 2005FPW. can be bought for $400 in USA with rebates. although the 2007 editions are out in march.

#12 greenidentity

greenidentity

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:22 AM

I intend too buy a Phillips TFT 19 inch one of the latest models as soon as possible. I've always found Phillips monitors reliable.

#13 onesummer

onesummer

Guru

• Designer
  • 804 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

thought i might just finally add that i went with the dell 2005FPW widescreen. I have been loving it. I wish there was a way I could define my web browsers to only open at half the width of the screen. well window size is supposed to be rembered, but what i'd rather have is a little button on my taskbar that auto resizes browser windows to half the width of the screen.. anyways, love the dell. got it for like $427. keep an eye on bensbargains.net or do a search for it there. by now you should easily see it for less than what i payed for it.

#14 SenterBrands

SenterBrands

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:43 PM

I have 2 apple 30inchers they are sweet and fun. Its like a 60inch monitor!! WOW!

#15 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

yeah it would be lol. One day ill buy them but at the moment im fine with what i have.
www.uiom.com.au

#16 rinaldidesigns

rinaldidesigns

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2258 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:21 AM

wow...and I only have 20 intel mac..........I'm jealous and curious:/.....I've heard about connecting multiple...and thought...WHY? can you show the 60inch monitor......I'm curious as to why its needed?(and jealous:))...waiting for enlightment....

#17 pentool

pentool

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:32 PM

Currently debating on either the Samsung 204B (my first choice) or the Viewsonic VP2030B.

Both of them are 20.1 inch and can swiveled both horizontally or vertically. I've seen the Samsung and it's screen is very nice. Both monitors are relatively new so not much review is available for them. The extra plus about the Viewsonic is that it has a built in USB hub.

I'm not a gamer (only Solitaire once in a while) so it will be mainly for design. But I find it quite tough to pick a monitor.

Hopefully I will make up my mind within a month, since I'm also building a new system with AMD x2 4800+ (I only have a laptop) cuz I'm planning to do more 3D stuff. So we shall see which monitor will "win"...

#18 greenidentity

greenidentity

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

I have just bought my LCD dream monitor two weeks ago. I went to the shop thinking that I will buy a Phillips, but by the time I got there I was highly dissapointed by the quality of it. Then, after some researches and even reccomendations, I went for a Samsung SM 913 N 19"

I got home, unpacked it, and all the excitement was gone. The first shock was a dead pixel right in the center of the screen, and I know that can happen, but the next reason for which I hated the Samsung was that the writing was so unclear :( and the quality of the image was quite low. I wouldn't reccomend it for graphics or programming at this point.

I have tried all the adjustments and resolutions possible but still I felt that my money went wasted. I should also mention that from different angles you couldn't see too much. Even my old Toshiba laptop has a much better screen.

After 2 hours of dissapointment I went with the screen back and I have changed it with something a little more expensive but worthing every cent, a 19 inch Acer monitor, CrystalBrite technology. It is a fantastic screen! I love it, the writing is clear ,the image is so sharp and the techincal details are impressive.

I would dearly reccomend it to anyone who wants high quality as a first thing and not just a brand name as I was about to make the mistake. :)

#19 pentool

pentool

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

I went for a Samsung SM 913 N

I'm not sure what monitor is that cuz I haven't found any listed by that model number at samsung's website. They have a 913T and a 913V but both of them are listed as discontinued models. Not that it really matters, of course, since most electronics/computer device will be discountinued in a few months nowadays.

a 19 inch Acer monitor, CrystalBrite technology... I would dearly reccomend it to anyone who wants high quality...

So is it a secret which Acer model did you buy or Acer only makes one 19" model? If you are happy with the monitor won't you share which model is it?

#20 greenidentity

greenidentity

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:08 PM

It is no secret of course. :p The monitor type is ACER AL 1951 19". I am thrilled with it not only happy, it is a fantastic screen. Here it is a link with all the techincal details and the monitor itself http://computing.kel...682/114401.html

As for the Samsung, this is the model I have bought and returned SM 913 N 19". I am quite sure that after my experience with it I will never acquire a Samsung monitor again. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users