What is a good logo?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 Elijah

Elijah

• Designer
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

For us designers a good logo its one that the client chooses and gets you payed, I try to express my opinion on how i think the logo will work but it all depends on the clients approval.

#22 thereeds92

thereeds92

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Zounds,

I am right there with you! It does get frustrating when a winner is decided and I look at it in awe. There have been a few that really stood out to me, where clipart was used and simply manipulated in minor ways and bam...thats the winner. Its scary how it appears designers focus more on just researching other designs on the web rather than taking it the proper way and grabbing your pencil and pad and coming up with your own concept first. I feel thats where a successful logo begins. That way whether the CH chooses you or not at least you know the right steps were taken. Being happy with the final outcome is the most important thing. For me a good logo is a simple logo. Simplicity adds to remark-ability and makes a logo clean and easy to remember, unique, and versatile.

Great post Zounds....

Dina

#23 lkyllo

lkyllo

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Because this is something that is hard to swallow as a designer I try not to read too much into it. It does come down to the personal tastes of the contest holder, and personal tastes are inherently subjective. Even if as a designer you think a winning design is "not good", that is from a designer's perspective, and clients don't know about text and alignment and color schemes, but go with a gut sense of that they need. Maybe the designs that sell are "good" merely because they sell. Obviously it is nice to win money from a contest, but I tend to think about it in the way that you get better, more efficient and develop a keener eye for design with every design you do- even if it is eliminated right away. If you look at time spent on non-winning designs as useless and wasted- how could you continue to participate on design contest?

#24 zeca

zeca

Banned

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Because this is something that is hard to swallow as a designer I try not to read too much into it. It does come down to the personal tastes of the contest holder, and personal tastes are inherently subjective. Even if as a designer you think a winning design is "not good", that is from a designer's perspective, and clients don't know about text and alignment and color schemes, but go with a gut sense of that they need. Maybe the designs that sell are "good" merely because they sell. Obviously it is nice to win money from a contest, but I tend to think about it in the way that you get better, more efficient and develop a keener eye for design with every design you do- even if it is eliminated right away. If you look at time spent on non-winning designs as useless and wasted- how could you continue to participate on design contest?

Hi Ikyllo Evolution is constant, and nothing better than working to do better, my experience as a designer, leads me to think this way.
Design Contest gives you that possibility, see, learn and develop

#25 DRGO

DRGO

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Here in Designcontest, it is very important that whatever you are submitting perfectly suits the need and taste of the client. I think even your logo is the most creative and the best among the others, if the contest holder doesn't find it the way you find it, it won't work. That is why it is really important to read the brief of whatever contest you are joining and from there, think of the most creative thing you can do :)
But regardless of any contest here, a good logo does not only define the company or product's name. It is beyond the name :) It's like if you look on it, you will look on it again and you will think, at the same time understand the relevance. And most of the good logos I have seen gave me an inspiration to be more creative and passionate in creating one.

#26 labjab

labjab

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

good logo is which reflects company products and its name

#27 erwinxespanto

erwinxespanto

Banned

• Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

i hope i will continually make a good logo

#28 kowan

kowan

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

But I am still amazed about when designers made great logos and already according to the brief, but the highest score is still stick to the high level designer which sometimes i thought that other designer have submitted a better design. So, which one is the most important? a good logo or a high level designer? Well, may be it's all up to the contest holder. Everything is about taste... ^_^

#29 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

You were fantastic and exceeded my expectations in opinions, a good logo can really exist if we keep strictly to briefing and able to understand the CH. But sometimes it's hard to accept some final results, involving effort and dedication, and where you are in the top rating, then coming out of nowhere, someone appears with no history and just subscribe to the site .... and won with a logo or desing that is to hail the heavens, for it is in this case we can only think about one thing, the contest was awarded to someone known or friend. This happened to me dozens of times, it's frustrating.

#30 thereeds92

thereeds92

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hey Zounds...thanks! Were you possibly speaking of the logo for Top Shelf Music by chance?? That contest was a joke! That was when a designer showed up with only one other entry, none in the contest, and was chosen a winner. AND there was like a 4 day break in any communication with the CH. That definetly was unfair and was a friend of them for sure! Not cool with me...but hey, thats life. I worked real hard, many hour on that design for what? No one even got a silver or bronze medal....crazy!
I really dig your design style and look forward to working with you in future contests. :)
Dina

#31 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

Hey Zounds...thanks! Were you possibly speaking of the logo for Top Shelf Music by chance?? That contest was a joke! That was when a designer showed up with only one other entry, none in the contest, and was chosen a winner. AND there was like a 4 day break in any communication with the CH. That definetly was unfair and was a friend of them for sure! Not cool with me...but hey, thats life. I worked real hard, many hour on that design for what? No one even got a silver or bronze medal....crazy!
I really dig your design style and look forward to working with you in future contests. :)
Dina

Hey Thereeds92 thanks, I am referring to this contest Logo Design For Top Shelf Music, but many others exist. unfortunately won a silver medal, which I removed from the contest, so assuming solidarity with the other designers were so hard that the designers submitted. this reference fits perfectly well here, What is a good logo?
We can only believe and continue to honor the Design Contest and trying to do our best, especially good logos :)

#32 thereeds92

thereeds92

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

I hear ya Zounds! I loved your logo as well...so crisp, clean, and fit the CH brief perfectly. But, like you said we can only honor this site and continue to submit our logos....whether the CH likes them or not. :) I wanted to say I really like your work...you always submit great designs and when I see you entering I know it will be a good race. :)
Cheers!
Dina

#33 kowan

kowan

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

That's very disappointing zounds.. I also heard that there is a designer who wins a lot of medals, but finally found that He is a "They" designer... What I mean is, There is a team of designers registered here in DC as one name. Feels like you're facing a person but actually more than one person. But Fortunately The designer has been banned forever by DC. Salute for Design Contest...

#34 DRGO

DRGO

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

It's really disappointing. How sad to hear that kind of scenario. Good thing Designcontest is really powerful.

#35 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

I've noticed that, especially in contests with high monetary values​​, but honestly that's not what worries me, what worries me is not losing a competition for a good logo, but the way they lost, and make us believe in the last second before the contest closing .... BUMMMMM is sad. But it is here and everywhere, I've been through many sites of this type of competition, and just always leave. I tested the DC, and I tell you, the DC has the best support team I've ever seen, this is the strongest reason to which I continue to force myself to do a good job and ignore this kind of situations. this team deserves much respect. but there are things that we do not pass by unnoticed, that's why I created this thread to see from the other designers what was the concept of a good logo.

#36 Elijah

Elijah

• Designer
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

I dont think im better then anyone for all it matters i always think i have a lot to learn, im a self taught designer and nothing gives me more pleasure than drawing and creating although i wouldnt mind the money wich we all need, i get lots of gratification when i see some of my ideas evolve to a better designers work, which in my mind happens a lot. My point is ...hell i dont have one :D Its just too many people trying their best and its not easy to manage that without hurting someones feelings. Im not saying its right, just that theres nothing much we can do about it except talk about it.

#37 Eraser

Eraser

• Designer
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

For a good logo
1.The logo design is as simple as possible and clearly conveys the corporate message
2.The logo is compatible with the business and industry segment
3.The logo is representative of all corporate values
4.The logo incorporates the right colors to match with your business and brand
5.A well designed logo should never make use of more than three separate colors, in fact the vast majority of corporate logos consist of only one or two colors

#38 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hi zounds, I agree with most of your comments, especially the team here, although I think you're a bit sure of yourself.
First you have no idea whatsoever of who is CH and why are they acting like they do... Your topshelf logo for instance, you don't know really, do you ? We had a talk with admins about ocean contest not long ago,we were thinking that CH was fake, and then it appears he was absolutely fine and friendly.
And about abandonned contests, It's part of the deal really ...I think we can consider ourselves lucky to have website like DC !!
Hope you'll enjoy DC anyway !

#39 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

hi cobalt, I agree with what you said, I already had questionable situations with contest holders and then turn to friends, even just by making a one-to-one with him. now over I feel a bit insecure, I do not think, on the contrary I do not have the posture of weakness and easily give up the projects, do it up to my limits and expectations are very high. I still have much to learn, and believes every contest I enter most always learn something.

#40 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

actually I don't know if you noticed , but to me, the main problem on DC is not contestHolder, but designers ....
we still have way too many plagiarism issue, or cheating or unacceptable behaviour ... but it's getting a bit better lately.
Anyway, you seem to be willing to make this place better ... and that's good !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users