Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Designing the Designer. Help me understand Design.

designer designing

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 CameronFraser

CameronFraser

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

Greetings Strangers,

I need help keeping my artistic integrity alive without starting a shotgun tasting contest. That's where you come in. Let me start with my life story. Bare with me. You might get a few chuckles from it...

I recently just finished High School. And by finished, I mean I dragged my heels so deep that my feet are now stumps at the ankles. The last few years of High School was spent either getting kicked out of one class for being so shit or getting moved down a level in another class because I was so shit. This comes to a point where 2 weeks before the end of term. The headmaster told me “If this was found out earlier in the year, I would have kicked you out moths ago” and that my education had been a “waste of time”.

Oblivious to the fact that I was top of my class in Art and Design. But throughout my life, I found a similar prejudice people share when It comes to Art and Design. They think Art and Design is beneath them because they think any wheelchair bound, retard can pick up a pencil and produce a Picasso. I always thought It was because this theory was coming from Math and Physic teachers, people that can best be summarised as being as likeable and deadpan as a fucking lead pipe filled with puke.

I'm getting off topic, but this is the style of writing I am used to so I can give you (the reader) an insights to my personality and hopefully, better help me. Or tell me to get fucked. Why should you help me? I hear you cry. You probably think by reading that last paragraph I am entitled and unlike-able twat.

Well, you rude nit. I was under the impression we are all designers. We all come from a creative background and we all want to do well and bounce ideas of one another to further improve our skills and techniques.

I was under that philosophy until a few weeks back when I had a chat with a rather odd designer chap that described being a designer, is “more cut-throat business than Hannibal Lector in a slaughter house.” and that “Everyone would fuck you over in a moments notice to work for peanut shells”. While I don't doubt the guy was lying. It felt a bit out of place. Even if it is true, I still think I have the stomach for it.

But that's the problem you see. You may be a freelance designer college boy/girl with a PhD in “I fucked about in Abode Photoshop for a couple of years and they gave me this piece of paper to hang in my office and every-time I look at it I start crying”. You may have worked hard for your licence to own the Adobe Master Suite at $3500.

But I am an 18 year old with a graphics tablet and a copy of Manga Studio Debut 4! And I get angry when some suit wearing fuck eliminates my designs left, right and centre without so much as a tip of the hat and a peck on the cheek.

Eat your bullshit sandwich and smile is what I imagine them saying when I get an email saying “Your design has been eliminated cause It wasn't generic enough. Please hang up and try again. Fatty”

I tried giving college a go. An HND Art and Design course for Animation. But after a while I realised. “All I am doing is learning how to use After Effects for two years. And Pixar doesn’t fucking use After Effects”

What I am trying to say is. I don't know where to start. Throwing my head into a wall trying to break it down is one thing. But being called a spas every-time I fail is just irritating. And that's the best way I can summarize the last few years for me.

So, Where do I go? What do I do? How do I become a designer?

I should really talk to my shrink some time. But, this is cheaper.

Thanks for your time.

#2 Meow

Meow

• Designer
  • 442 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

Really don't know what to say. GD can be very cruel. "How to Be a Graphic Designer without Losing Your Soul" is a recommended book. Actually, I think all designers should read (design and non-design stuff).

AE is useful for a lot of things. Pixar uses it for credits, at least.  :rolleyes:

#3 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:53 PM

Graphic Design is not a religion.

It is s skilled craft and business, a service business.

A Master (Bachelor) of Fine Arts is not a Divinity degree. 

I know many fine artists who regard Design as their job, while regarding Painting or Sculpting as they're calling. Thus, they partition true love from romance.

The most successful designers are "people" persons who can understand what the client needs.

Yes, sometimes what they want and what they actually need collide.

Leading designers are not only skilled designers but also skilled listeners.

Significant design projects are a collaborative effort.

If you think that your clients are your enemies, they will be.

The best designers have excellent personal relationship with the "suits".

Permanent rebellious petulance works in Rock and Roll, not in business, or adult life. It makes for epic divorces.

Take a hard look at the careers/biographies of top international designers and see if your approach to success matches.

Whinnying about harsh realities does not get it done.

Leave your soul out of it and get on with it.

Sorry if this sounds harsh to an eighteen year old, but your post cries out for it to be said.

Thanks

Please review the contest that summarizes this attitiude from a CH viewpoint

https://www.designco...t-winery/brief/

What do you think about the "not your fathers' " attitude"?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: designer, designing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users